2021 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

We still need that run from defence. We don't have anyone who provides this which really hurts us. Ah Chee hasn't shown it at all, looks like he might break out this year tho with all the positive reports coming out. But really think if Birchall doesn't show anything in the first 2/3 games, then Cockatoo or Madden should get the gig.

We still need that run from defence. We don't have anyone who provides this which really hurts us. Ah Chee hasn't shown it at all, looks like he might break out this year tho with all the positive reports coming out. But really think if Birchall doesn't show anything in the first 2/3 games, then Cockatoo or Madden should get the gig.

Surprised you feel that way about ah chee, I actually thought he showed marked improvement as the season went on. Was definitely more impressive as a forward but thought he provided good defence and ability to initiate counter attacks playing off half back later in the year

Birchall imo looks very 1 dimensional. If he has the ball and there is a player in space he will probably hit them up 8.5 times out of 10. Other than that you hardly notice him

Thinking about the new Standing the Mark rule... think it worked alright early days, but it will have unintended consequences (as these things usually do).

For this one, I think in the age of reduced numbers of ruckman, this speeds that up. You have a McInerney on the mark against a Bailey, Bailey will just run around him. Especially with the umps trained to stand at 90 degrees, harder to see when someone moves off the mark.

Should give fast players more advantage. Should make big, slow players obsolete. And encourages players to play for free kicks, which ruins so many sports...

I know quite a few surgeons that are way more successful than most professional athletes, but I've never heard of their parents ever attending surgery to watch them in action.

I just find it odd why sports people are treated so differently and held to this higher standard by most families given a lot are just another pleb out there a couple of years later.
Ok it's official. You're a troll

Last edited:
As a healthcare worker I've observed multiple surgeries myself, would not be surprised if some parents would want to see their kids in action at least once. Fair enough too, you'd have to be a dusty old curmudgeon to not want to watch your kids succeed!
Yeh
and I could see the old man yelling out .
You could of cut that a bit shorter, Hey you missed a bit over there.
Birchall imo looks very 1 dimensional. If he has the ball and there is a player in space he will probably hit them up 8.5 times out of 10. Other than that you hardly notice him
I don't mind that at all,if it's done early .

Ok it's official. You're a troll
How so; for not buying into the uneducated thinking that sports people's careers are so much more valuable or important in society than doctors, researchers. But hey, lets adopt the most basic premise that sportspeople should be treated so differently, particularly by their families. :rolleyes:

Thinking about the new Standing the Mark rule... think it worked alright early days, but it will have unintended consequences (as these things usually do).

For this one, I think in the age of reduced numbers of ruckman, this speeds that up. You have a McInerney on the mark against a Bailey, Bailey will just run around him. Especially with the umps trained to stand at 90 degrees, harder to see when someone moves off the mark.

Should give fast players more advantage. Should make big, slow players obsolete. And encourages players to play for free kicks, which ruins so many sports...

What I really hated was that the umpires set the mark and made the defender stand still on the mark but they didn't bring the attacker back over the mark. So the attacker often played on from a much more advantageous position and the defender has absolutely no opportunity to react. Again the umpires cherry picking which rules to enforce.

What I really hated was that the umpires set the mark and made the defender stand still on the mark but they didn't bring the attacker back over the mark. So the attacker often played on from a much more advantageous position and the defender has absolutely no opportunity to react. Again the umpires cherry picking which rules to enforce.
Its a good rule and most clubs/coach's/managers are excited that it has come in as it will speed up the game and hopefully create more scoring opportunities which ALL people want to see. No doubt it will need tweaking & time for it to evolve (like any new rule change does) but in general its concept is a good one.

These were my observations from the game on Saturday.
-We are a class above Gold Coast so how we played and result no surprise.
-I thought we looked slower to the ground ball gets than Gold Coast.
-I think Mcstay as third tall is going to be the difference in some games.
-It looked like Joe was the big kid dominating under 10s.
-Lachie Neale isn’t fit. Watch last quarter and he was trotting around a fair bit. He is such a competitor that I recon he will flick the switch round 1.
-overall I think we have more players on the improve than the decline so we should improve again this year.

There is a video about the rule up on the afl website now. Don't know if it explains it, but it's there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a good rule and most clubs/coach's/managers are excited that it has come in as it will speed up the game and hopefully create more scoring opportunities which ALL people want to see. No doubt it will need tweaking & time for it to evolve (like any new rule change does) but in general its concept is a good one.
Does the game really need to be anymore quicker?

Why also does more scoring necessary equate to something everyone wants or is a better product.

Believe me, the 02, 05 and 06 GF's were incredible games of footy and were all low scoring, just as some nil all games of football are amazing spectacles.

But sure, lets render an opposition as nothing more than a witches hat so a few extra goals are kicked or worse yet, the witches hat moves off his line, gives away a 50m and the attacking player can have a set shot from the most difficult angle, the goal line directly in front; all to increase scoring.:rolleyes:

Forgive me for not being excited at a few more goals being scored from directly in front in the goal score. Some people really do have such simple minds.:rolleyes:

At this point in time i agree the rule will/should make the game better
On another post i viewed my thoughts on how it will improve ball movement and open up more attacking/scoring opportunities

Most media coverage has been negative as is the modern way of journalism.
A few on this site also prefer the negative over the positive. It's a forum so that is their prerogative
On two news channels last night both stated "clubs are against the new rule"
So nice to hear a different view from someone who we know has at least some contact with the club

Lets see what unfolds in the Community series this week as the intensity goes up a gear and then some for round one
Can't wait to see the boy's in action

Surprised you feel that way about ah chee, I actually thought he showed marked improvement as the season went on. Was definitely more impressive as a forward but thought he provided good defence and ability to initiate counter attacks playing off half back later in the year
I think you misread. I am happy with where he is, as l said he is looking like he is ready to have a breakout year in defence with the positive reports so far (same with Rayner). However, he his counterattacking is more through kicking - much like all our other players. We still need the run out of defence which we dont have.

At this point in time i agree the rule will/should make the game better
On another post i viewed my thoughts on how it will improve ball movement and open up more attacking/scoring opportunities

Most media coverage has been negative as is the modern way of journalism.
A few on this site also prefer the negative over the positive. It's a forum so that is their prerogative
On two news channels last night both stated "clubs are against the new rule"
So nice to hear a different view from someone who we know has at least some contact with the club

Lets see what unfolds in the Community series this week as the intensity goes up a gear and then some for round one
Can't wait to see the boy's in action
Listening to a couple of podcast in the last couple of days.
And those who have spoken to players are saying that the players like the new rule.
But those who are speaking to clubs say that they don’t like it?
coaches may not really like it because it will make the game harder to defend. Which is of course why the rule was brought in.

I think you misread. I am happy with where he is, as l said he is looking like he is ready to have a breakout year in defence with the positive reports so far (same with Rayner). However, he his counterattacking is more through kicking - much like all our other players. We still need the run out of defence which we dont have.

Yeah misunderstood, thought you meant his work in defence in general rather than the run specifically. My bad!

I know quite a few surgeons that are way more successful than most professional athletes, but I've never heard of their parents ever attending surgery to watch them in action.

I just find it odd why sports people are treated so differently and held to this higher standard by most families given a lot are just another pleb out there a couple of years later.

Surgeons don’t risk getting carted off in an ambulance every time they perform their role.And parents of surgeons are probably just as invested and, while not being able to observe, spend years listening to stories of their child’s work.

‘Just another pleb’. You know everyone is just another pleb, and everything we do is just filling in the time till we die. I have I got the level of your misery right there Dylan?

I'm ambivalent on the new rule, don't really see why they'd bother, but happy to see how it works in proper games and hopefully is a positive for us.

It seems Birchall and Ah Chee are the two who always come under scrutiny. I don't know who we have that's better. Birchall I get seeing this is his last year, Ah Chee I don't understand at all. He's a versatile and improving player , near the top of the most talented on our list. He'll find his niche in the next year or two.

Surgeons don’t risk getting carted off in an ambulance every time they perform their role
They also die too like many have throughout Covid.

But anyway, I do find it comical why so many family's are so invested in their child's sports career, but wouldn't be in other career choices that are far more lucrative.

But don't limit anything to just surgeons, try entrepreneurs and many other professions that are doing way more than anything a sports person does.

On athletes getting carted off in ambulances, there are many sports where winding up in ambulances is almost non-existent i.e. swimmers, athletics etc.

And for what its worth, I'm just another numpty / pleb out there too, so what of it?

Get over yourself.

Is it being negative asking why the game needs to be anymore quicker or why more scoring necessarily equate to something everyone wants or is a better product. Examples were even cited about incredible game low scoring games, including three of the best GF's in recent years.

But, hey keep drinking the Kool-Aid Steve Hocking and the AFL are so desperate for you to drink. :rolleyes:
You’re not even clever with your trolls anymore. Getting boring really.

But anyway, I do find it comical why so many family's are so invested in their child's sports career, but wouldn't be in other career choices that are far more lucrative.

But don't limit anything to just surgeons, try entrepreneurs and many other professions that are doing way more than anything a sports person does.

On athletes getting carted off in ambulances, there are many sports where winding up in ambulances is almost non-existent i.e. swimmers, athletics etc.

And for what its worth, I'm just another numpty / pleb out there too, so what of it?

Sportng parents investment is visible and often displayed on national tv therefore open to criticism and whining.

Parents of other professions aren't visible therefore people who can't believe what they don't see think it didn't happen.

Reality is there are invested, over invested and non invested parents everywhere.

Maybe your personal experience is different. Among my family and friends the careers and personal lives of our children are well known and celebrated, and if guess that's true of most on this forum.

Are you a parent yourself Dylan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back