2021 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we stop feeding the troll please?

Can we please stick to the topic and refrain from namecalling of long time forum members. Just ignore if you don't want to read rather than unnecessarily inflaming the situation.

On topic

It would be good if we had a bit of an idea on the reserves. There are a few of interest to me personally. I own Prior in a dynasty league and am very keen to see him get a chance. Sharp and Smith are also two I am looking at this year.

Get over yourself.

Is it being negative asking why the game needs to be anymore quicker or why more scoring necessarily equate to something everyone wants or is a better product. Examples were even cited about incredible game low scoring games, including three of the best GF's in recent years.

But, hey keep drinking the Kool-Aid Steve Hocking and the AFL are so desperate for you to drink. :rolleyes:
Yes very much so seeing we have had all of 1 trial game to assess

- Ely moved much better around the field but I didn't think he offered too much out there. With Robbo and Cockatoo probably doubtful for round 1 he probably gets his chance but he will definitely be under the pump.

Good point, but I think the first set is to get around contests defensively and offensively then build from there.

I think Ely got into a lot of good positions but wasn’t used. This will change as he becomes more a presence out there amongst his team mates

Defensively I think he got a big tick. Looked like he was all over the defensive zones and didn’t need to be babied by senior players. The coaches will like this of him

He has a good platform to build off

Not so cockatoo is going to be able to come into a wing role at all. The game is passing Robbo unfortunately, although I’m sure he will play at times. Fagan will want to improve his spot in the team. Fingers crossed it’s Ely

Good point, but I think the first set is to get around contests defensively and offensively then build from there.

I think Ely got into a lot of good positions but wasn’t used. This will change as he becomes more a presence out there amongst his team mates

Defensively I think he got a big tick. Looked like he was all over the defensive zones and didn’t need to be babied by senior players. The coaches will like this of him

He has a good platform to build off

Not so cockatoo is going to be able to come into a wing role at all. The game is passing Robbo unfortunately, although I’m sure he will play at times. Fagan will want to improve his spot in the team. Fingers crossed it’s Ely
That's the thing I noticed most about Ely as well. He worked very hard to get into prominent positions to be involved in the play but wasn't always respected. But still kept doing it.

So that's an improvement on what I saw of him last which was 2019. Plus he looks noticeably trimmer and perhaps a bit quicker.

Hopefully he can win more ball as he goes along

Not sure why Ely is being pushed so hard, I really hope he develops into a long term prospect as much as anyone else, but he needs to show a lot more than he did to get a gig in the seniors IMO. Hopefully if he plays this week he can have a much greater impact. To my eyes Madden appeared much closer to senior selection, his defensive work was good and he also showed good speed and attack coming out of defence. Maybe he might be the hard running defender we have been looking for, I guess this week’s game will show us a bit more of his capabilities.

Can we please stick to the topic and refrain from namecalling of long time forum members. Just ignore if you don't want to read rather than unnecessarily inflaming the situation.

On topic

It would be good if we had a bit of an idea on the reserves. There are a few of interest to me personally. I own Prior in a dynasty league and am very keen to see him get a chance. Sharp and Smith are also two I am looking at this year.

Equally, I don't think someone clearly trolling and - irrespective of how long they've been around - should be told to stop doing the same.

Equally, I don't think someone clearly trolling and - irrespective of how long they've been around - should be told to stop doing the same.
Trolling how?

Why; for not simply getting caught up in and agreeing with another rule change by the AFL like so many simple minded followers always do.

Excuse me for questioning the merit of this year’s change after the standard 4-5 changes made year after year, which as far as I can tell, haven’t made the game any better than the 80’s and 90’s when scoring was no issue at all and the likes of Ablett and Salmon kicked 24 between them in one game or Fitzroy kicked an AFL record of 38 goals in a game. Perhaps if the AFL didn’t start ****ing with the game in the first place, the game wouldn’t be in this mess.

But hey, I’m just trolling.:rolleyes:

Trolling how?

Why; for not simply getting caught up in and agreeing with another rule change by the AFL like so many simple minded followers always do.

Yes Dylan, everyone who sees things differently to you is simple minded, or a sheep, or a sycophant or a....

On Robbos podcast recently he talked himself down for his style of disposal into the fwd 50, which was somewhat suitable when we didn't have the timber down there and were trying to bring the ball to grpund and have mids and smalls score. Stylistically with Joe and Eric down there it makes total sense that we would benefit from another player who can pressure but deliver with a bit more finesse. If he does find himself a bit on the outer I don't think it takes as much away from him is my point, and I wouldn't want to be in his way when he comes back in

They also die too like many have throughout Covid.

But anyway, I do find it comical why so many family's are so invested in their child's sports career, but wouldn't be in other career choices that are far more lucrative.

But don't limit anything to just surgeons, try entrepreneurs and many other professions that are doing way more than anything a sports person does.

On athletes getting carted off in ambulances, there are many sports where winding up in ambulances is almost non-existent i.e. swimmers, athletics etc.

And for what its worth, I'm just another numpty / pleb out there too, so what of it?

The inherent difference between a professional footballer and a surgeon / entrepreneur is that football is a spectator event - an audience is fundamental to their trade. AFL footballers also reach the elite level of their profession at 18 as opposed to 30+, so it's not exactly an apples v apples comparison.

It's a strange beef you have with allowing players' families to spectate a match (with an even stranger justification). :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How so; for not buying into the uneducated thinking that sports people's careers are so much more valuable or important in society than doctors, researchers. But hey, lets adopt the most basic premise that sportspeople should be treated so differently, particularly by their families. :rolleyes:
I agree. Id say a fair portion of these footballers end up in dead end careers. However its so good hearing about how the club urges and managers players times to do some meaningful study and prepare them for the real world.

We've given a fair bit of leeway in random discussions over the last few months. It's a bit of a tradition given it's the off-season, as there's bloody little to talk about otherwise.

However given we're about to head into the season proper, starting with a proper preseason game this weekend, it's time to focus back on footy.

If you want to derail threads, take it to the appropriate thread in The Den or the appropriate BF board.

We've given a fair bit of leeway in random discussions over the last few months. It's a bit of a tradition given it's the off-season, as there's bloody little to talk about otherwise.

However given we're about to head into the season proper, starting with a proper preseason game this weekend, it's time to focus back on footy.

If you want to derail threads, take it to the appropriate thread in The Den or the appropriate BF board.
Isn't it great the season is about to start?

AFL website article on Ely Smith and his improvement over in the pre-season.
Another nice article on Eli so maybe he has front running for round one.
I still think it will be hard for him to get that wing spot.
We will know a bit more after Mondays game.
Mondays teams should be announced soon

It will be interesting to see the team named for mondays game against the suns, i dont think fages will be trialling too many players. If robbo is over his calf issue i would expect him to play. I think clug and bailey will be starting wing, ely and robbo both on the bench. The rest of the team looks pretty settled, maybe a defensive spot to sort out, but pretty settled overall. If robbo plays and has a half decent game i think he is in the box seat for round1. Ely would need an exceptional game to push him out this early in the season. If robbo doesnt play i could see ely earning a bench spot for round1. Time on the wing and some mid time. It will be an interesting year for both players, the veteran trying to hold on and the youngster trying to break in. Mcstay n Fullerton, adams n payne, matho n CEY, same boat i think with competition.. Birchall n lester will be feeling pressure from a fit answerth, an improving madden, and others. The increased quality of the second tier comp i hope will see quicker development in the youngsters and should give a better idea of their ability to step up. Could be the making of archie too, playing better quality ruckmen week in week out. Devrob, joyce, t berry, the colemans, smith, prior etc should all benifit. Depth will be a key this year, got a horrible feeling our injury luck cant hold out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back