2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

The VFL tweeted a link to a paywalled HS page the other day which apparently had the full team lists.

I’m guessing we’re not going to get much official information this season.

From that article, these are the players we’re drawing on outside of our listed players:

69FF785F-A6CD-48E9-A0BC-06061B878EAB.jpeg

Quickly reading through the list ASPLEY have a few ex lions
Ryan Bastinac
Corey Lyons
Jacob Allison
Matthew Hammelmann
Jonathan Freeman
Matt Eagles
Kobe Tozer pretty sure from the lions academy

Not as many ex AFL I thought be picked up by non aligned teams.
Ellis for Coburg
Southport have ex Dogs Lukas Webb, Billy Gowers and Brad Lynch.
Bullants Paul Ahern and Ben Silvagni

Some players connected to lions or ex lions
Brett Voss son Jackson Voss playing Frankston
Matty Rendall son James Rendell also Frankston
Reuban William playing for the dogs
Josh Clayton for North.
Tyler Roos playing for North

Will be interesting to see how Kobe Tozer goes this year if he can stay on the park.

Fingers crossed for Kobe. He played for Sherwood on the weekend and kicked 3. I don't think anyone should be getting carried away though. It's just great he's out on the park again.

Oh absolutely. I don't know why they haven't used the same system they have for the AFL/AFLW/preseason/etc.

Or the general absence of journalism.
Because they don't care. I predict the AFL will abandon this league once the dust from Covid settles and go back to a full reserves comp. They're just going through the motions until then.

Because they don't care. I predict the AFL will abandon this league once the dust from Covid settles and go back to a full reserves comp. They're just going through the motions until then.
Interesting thought. Anything possible with the AFL
With this new VFL competition, even if they revert to a full reserves competition both will be expensive to run
The way the seniors game has opened up i was hoping they would cancel the "anti-congestion" rules altogether rather than some adjustments

My thought bubble that will never happen but hey this is Big Footy so here goes
Only one squad of 44 players all play AFL.
Increase competition to 20 teams (Tas & NT) or retain the present 18
Each team plays each other twice. So, 38 games or 36 games
That will be 16 or 14 more games than usual
No player can play more than 22 games in one season excluding finals. Player welfare
Season starts first weekend in March and ends second Saturday of October
Regular night games during the week to get to the required number of games
Playing time 25 minutes each quarter no time on excluding injury time umpire decision
No official preseason games. Two AFL sanctioned trial games v another AFL Club.

Pros
Should get a better Media Deal with more games played
A better media deal will help AFL & Clubs pay off debt incurred during covid years
Play each team twice. So a more fair draw
Possibly expand competition to be Australia wide
More games for fans to watch and attend
Guaranteed earlier exposure to AFL for the younger team members
No travel costs and miscellaneous costs for the AFL & Clubs for running a 2nd tier competition
Overall attendances should increase which should equate to more $ for clubs
Starting earlier helps in Qld & NSW both dominant NRL states. Usually NRL gets a 2 to 3 week start on AFL
More choice of games for the casual AFL fan to attend

Cons
Player pool diluted
More umpires may be needed
Balancing squad to win enough games to make the 8
Could be some lopsided games
Some players may have to play in the local competition to get some game practice. More likely in the first quarter of the season
You won't see all the best players from both teams on the field every week.
Extra costs overall for the year for regulars to attend games

I am sure their are other cons that posters will point out

I liked Abberley's skill set from the little we got to see of him. He is one I will be interested in watching how he goes in the VFL. He needs to get more of the ball but skills wise he is pretty good especially by hand. We are scratching around for outside mids at the moment and he is one who fits into that category.

Fingers crossed for Kobe. He played for Sherwood on the weekend and kicked 3. I don't think anyone should be getting carried away though. It's just great he's out on the park again.
You know the academy better than most. Are any of the reserve listed players current U18 academy players, or are they all over agers?

Quickly reading through the list ASPLEY have a few ex lions
Ryan Bastinac
Corey Lyons
Jacob Allison
Matthew Hammelmann
Jonathan Freeman
Matt Eagles
Kobe Tozer pretty sure from the lions academy

Not as many ex AFL I thought be picked up by non aligned teams.
Ellis for Coburg
Southport have ex Dogs Lukas Webb, Billy Gowers and Brad Lynch.
Bullants Paul Ahern and Ben Silvagni

Some players connected to lions or ex lions
Brett Voss son Jackson Voss playing Frankston
Matty Rendall son James Rendell also Frankston
Reuban William playing for the dogs
Josh Clayton for North.
Tyler Roos playing for North
Just as a matter of interest I see Rohan Berwick kicked a lazy 10 goals for Old Xavs in the amateurs.

You know the academy better than most. Are any of the reserve listed players current U18 academy players, or are they all over agers?

I wouldn’t say I know better than most... Harrop is U18 I think. Most though are overages from what I can see.

Not sure if the Lions will feature much in this free Kayo service but maybe a few games over the year
Still better than nothing for free for those interested
Part of article with link to full article below
In a bid to boost community sport in Australia, Kayo will stream matches from select local leagues across the country for free via Kayo Freebies.

Kayo Freebies is available by simply downloading the Kayo App or visiting the website at kayosports.com.au/freebies and creating an account.
Kayo Freebies are free, and no credit card details are required to sign up and start streaming.
Kayo’s coverage of the VFL and Intrust Super Cup will include two exclusive VFL games per round and one exclusive Saturday fixture per round in the Intrust Super Cup, with all coverage live and free.

“Kayo’s new streaming offering to state league competitions is a real boost for the VFL across Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland and we know the legion of supporters are looking forward to the return of the VFL season and there is much for fans to look forward to, whether that be attending matches or watching on Kayo.
Full article which includes other sports offered for free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just as a matter of interest I see Rohan Berwick kicked a lazy 10 goals for Old Xavs in the amateurs.
Not sure if the Lions will feature much in this free Kayo service but maybe a few games over the year
Still better than nothing for free for those interested
Part of article with link to full article below
In a bid to boost community sport in Australia, Kayo will stream matches from select local leagues across the country for free via Kayo Freebies.

Kayo Freebies is available by simply downloading the Kayo App or visiting the website at kayosports.com.au/freebies and creating an account.
Kayo Freebies are free, and no credit card details are required to sign up and start streaming.
Kayo’s coverage of the VFL and Intrust Super Cup will include two exclusive VFL games per round and one exclusive Saturday fixture per round in the Intrust Super Cup, with all coverage live and free.

“Kayo’s new streaming offering to state league competitions is a real boost for the VFL across Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland and we know the legion of supporters are looking forward to the return of the VFL season and there is much for fans to look forward to, whether that be attending matches or watching on Kayo.
Full article which includes other sports offered for free

According to the Kayo on my television/phone, the AFL will be broadcasting three VFL matches live for free this week, which includes the following match guide for the weekend:

Saturday, 17th April
Sydney Swans Reserves vs. Greater Western Sydney Giants Reserves (12.00pm AEST)
Brisbane Lions Reserves vs. Essendon Bombers Reserves (1.30pm AEST)
Sunday, 18th April
Geelong Cats Reserves vs. North Melbourne Kangaroos Reserves (1.00pm AEST)

Looks like I will have a busy day on Saturday in watching the Lions women's team in the Grand Final down in Adelaide before watching the men's reserves team on the phone from the train home and then getting to watch the men's best 22 during the night when I get home after a hard busy day at the office 😂

I wouldn't expect myself to sound crazy when I say we should win three out of three here as a professional sporting club, this Saturday ;)

Last edited:
Sorry fellas, you guys don't have any height/weight information about your two's do you? Your website is less than helpful about your VFL list
According to the Kayo on my television/phone, the AFL will be broadcasting three VFL matches live for free this week, which includes the following match guide for the weekend:

Saturday, 17th April
Sydney Swans Reserves vs. Greater Western Sydney Giants Reserves (12.00pm AEST)
Brisbane Lions Reserves vs. Essendon Bombers Reserves (1.30pm AEST)
Sunday, 18th April
Geelong Cats Reserves vs. North Melbourne Kangaroos Reserves (1.00pm AEST)

Looks like I will have a busy day on Saturday in watching the Lions women's team in the Grand Final down in Adelaide before watching the men's reserves team on the phone from the train home and then getting to watch the men's best 22 during the night when I get home after a hard busy day at the office 😂

I wouldn't expect myself to sound crazy when I say we should win three out of three here as a professional sporting club, this Saturday ;)
We're generally pretty strong in the VFL and we have a solid core again this year so whilst you might win, it shouldn't be a walkover as far as the ressies go.

Sorry fellas, you guys don't have any height/weight information about your two's do you? Your website is less than helpful about your VFL list

We're generally pretty strong in the VFL and we have a solid core again this year so whilst you might win, it shouldn't be a walkover as far as the ressies go.

With the reduced list sizes we will play more kids and will struggle.

With the reduced list sizes we will play more kids and will struggle.
Did the NEAFL have more than a 30 player supplementry list? Because the VFL only had 25 for ages with us and has increased to 30.

Did the NEAFL have more than a 30 player supplementry list? Because the VFL only had 25 for ages with us and has increased to 30.

I meant the AFL list sizes. We do not play any mature top up players. We use under 19 players to top up the NEAFL and now VFL team so with reduced AFL list sizes we are going to have more kids on the field and that is very noticeable when teams play.

I meant the AFL list sizes. We do not play any mature top up players. We use under 19 players to top up the NEAFL and now VFL team so with reduced AFL list sizes we are going to have more kids on the field and that is very noticeable when teams play.
You've picked up a couple. Wilson Berry is a former Essendon VFL player, 193 cm and is okay at the level. Josh D'Intinosante and Braedyn Gillard were going to play VFL for Coburg last year, both are 20/21 though. Ben Reddick is also a handy player in his early 20's.

Generalized information/comments by Brisbane Lions Reserves coach (Mitch Hahn), regarding the new VFL competition in 2021.

You've picked up a couple. Wilson Berry is a former Essendon VFL player, 193 cm and is okay at the level. Josh D'Intinosante and Braedyn Gillard were going to play VFL for Coburg last year, both are 20/21 though. Ben Reddick is also a handy player in his early 20's.
Wilson Barry is from our Academy U19’s and played for Morningside in the QAFL Colts last year.

Don’t see the other players listed either as part of our VFL top up squad.
View attachment 1100193

Wilson Barry is from our Academy U19’s and played for Morningside in the QAFL Colts last year.

Don’t see the other players listed either as part of our VFL top up squad.
View attachment 1100193
I didn't read that correctly, thought it was our former player.

I didn't read the article, got some screenshots from Yoda_

Remove this Banner Ad

Back