2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

I just popped over to the Essendon board to have a look at the reports on the VFL match from their perspective. Seems that we played an extremely experienced AFL side whilst they just played the kids. I didn't want to be a knob so I thought I would put some stats on our team here:

By my count we had 15 players who were 20 or under. There were only 3 over 22 being Smith (25), Mathieson and Cockatoo (both 24).

We had 8 players who have played AFL football. Of those we only had 3 players who have played more than 7 games again being Smith, Mathieson and Cockatoo (the others having played 7, 6, 3, 3 and 2).

All our top up players were academy players from this year or last. With most being 19 and one or two 20. We did not bring in any high profile ring ins to bolster the side.

Quite a few of our next best guys were not playing in Answerth, Payne, CEY and Joyce even leaving Rayner aside who would certainly be in the firsts.

After Smith was injured in the first quarter we played the rest of the game without a ruck and got smashed in the ruck contest.

Two of our best mids being Robertson and E Smith did not play after half time.

We had one bloke playing his first ever competitive game after only arriving in Australia in January.

Suffice it to say I don't think the Essendon excuses hold water.

I just popped over to the Essendon board to have a look at the reports on the VFL match from their perspective. Seems that we played an extremely experienced AFL side whilst they just played the kids. I didn't want to be a knob so I thought I would put some stats on our team here:

By my count we had 15 players who were 20 or under. There were only 3 over 22 being Smith (25), Mathieson and Cockatoo (both 24).

We had 8 players who have played AFL football. Of those we only had 3 players who have played more than 7 games again being Smith, Mathieson and Cockatoo (the others having played 7, 6, 3, 3 and 2).

All our top up players were academy players from this year or last. With most being 19 and one or two 20. We did not bring in any high profile ring ins to bolster the side.

Quite a few of our next best guys were not playing in Answerth, Payne, CEY and Joyce even leaving Rayner aside who would certainly be in the firsts.

After Smith was injured in the first quarter we played the rest of the game without a ruck and got smashed in the ruck contest.

We had one bloke playing his first ever competitive game after only arriving in Australia in January.

Are Ballenden and Fullarton only 20?

It was interesting to see Kiddy Coleman spend time closer into the contest in this game. He needs to keep working on his disposal but he is a live wire. I hope a lot of development effort goes into him over the next year or two. He has the potential to be explosive on the outside of stoppages.

Yup, I read the same yesterday, wanted to reply, but thought better of it.

You can’t beat them with logic 🤪

There I went and did it, and borrowed a lot of your stuff Quigley.

Might see ya’ll in a week.

for those Melb supporters looking to go Blues game IKON on Saturday 12pm
As usual cannot find anything on our website regarding the game.

Blues website better and has info it looks like all tickets need to be purchased online
Adults: $10.53
Concession: $5.37
Junior (14 years and under)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a write up of the game by the club/VFL coaches anywhere on the web site?

I am old fashioned but I would like to see it rather than a video which seems to be the only thing that proliferates now adays.

I would value reading what the coaches see in the Two's game.

Is there a write up of the game by the club/VFL coaches anywhere on the web site?

I am old fashioned but I would like to see it rather than a video which seems to be the only thing that proliferates now adays.

I would value reading what the coaches see in the Two's game.

I agree wholeheartedly re reading reports. It's far easier and quicker to read/scan than to have to sit through minutes of bs in a video to get to any interesting bits.

I pretty much forego all videos these days apart from Fage's after-match and the odd game-play clip.

Updated Round 3 & 4 of the 2021 VFL Season
Round Three
Thursday April 29

North Melbourne vs. Casey Demons 7.10pm Marvel Stadium (Fox Footy)

Friday April 30
Collingwood vs. Gold Coast Suns 4.00pm Holden Centre

Saturday May 1
Northern Bullants vs. Footscray 1.05pm Preston City Oval (Kayo Freebies)
Werribee vs. Richmond 2.05pm Avalon Airport Oval
Sydney Swans vs. Geelong 2.35pm Tramway Oval (Lakeside Oval) (Kayo Freebies)
Frankston vs. Aspley 7.00pm SkyBus Stadium
Williamstown vs. Port Melbourne 7.10pm Downer Oval

Sunday May 2
Brisbane Lions vs. Coburg 12.00pm South Pine Sporting Complex
GWS Giants vs. Southport 12.05pm Blacktown International Sports Park (Kayo Freebies)
Essendon vs. Carlton 12.05pm Windy Hill
Sandringham v Box Hill 2.30pm Trevor Barker Oval

Round Four
Thursday May 6

Geelong vs. Northern Bullants 7.10pm Marvel Stadium (Fox Footy)

Saturday May 8
Collingwood vs. Coburg 12.05pm Victoria Park
Williamstown vs. Frankston 1.35pm Downer Oval (Kayo Freebies)
Southport vs. North Melbourne 2.00pm Fankhauser Reserve
Box Hill Hawks vs. Werribee 2.35pm Box Hill City Oval (Kayo Freebies)

Sunday May 9
Footscray v Carlton 12.05pm VU Whitten Oval
Casey Demons vs. Sydney Swans 11.05am Casey Fields (Kayo Freebies)

Byes: Aspley, Brisbane Lions, Essendon, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, Port Melbourne, Richmond, Sandringham

Note: Matchups for Rounds 5 to 19 will be released with dates, times and venues announced following the release of additional rounds of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season fixture.

Last edited:

Round Three
Thursday April 29

North Melbourne vs. Casey Demons 7.10pm Marvel Stadium (Fox Footy)

Friday April 30
Collingwood vs. Gold Coast Suns 4.00pm Holden Centre

Saturday May 1
Northern Bullants vs. Footscray 1.05pm Preston City Oval Kayo Freebies
Werribee vs. Richmond 2.05pm Avalon Airport Oval
Sydney Swans vs. Geelong 2.35pm Tramway Oval (Lakeside Oval) (Kayo Freebies)
Frankston vs. Aspley 7.00pm SkyBus Stadium
Williamstown vs. Port Melbourne 7.10pm Downer Oval

Sunday May 2
Brisbane Lions vs. Coburg 12.00pm South Pine Sporting Complex
GWS Giants vs. Southport 12.05pm Blacktown International Sports Park (Kayo Freebies)
Essendon vs. Carlton 12.05pm Windy Hill
Sandringham v Box Hill 2.30pm Trevor Barker Oval

Round Four
Thursday May 6

Geelong vs. Northern Bullants 7.10pm Marvel Stadium (Fox Footy)

Saturday May 8
Collingwood vs. Coburg 12.05pm Victoria Park
Williamstown vs. Frankston 1.35pm Downer Oval (Kayo Freebies)
Southport vs. North Melbourne 2.00pm Fankhauser Reserve
Box Hill Hawks vs. Werribee 2.35pm Box Hill City Oval (Kayo Freebies)

Sunday May 9
Footscray v Carlton 12.05pm VU Whitten Oval
Casey Demons vs. Sydney Swans 11.05am Casey Fields (Kayo Freebies)

Byes: Aspley, Brisbane Lions, Essendon, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, Port Melbourne, Richmond, Sandringham

A bye in Round 4?

Hopefully the club can organise a stream but I'm not liking our chances

Does anyone know whether our Vic Memberships gets us entry into Carlton this week for the VFL to make up for getting nothing last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back