2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it might be a bit of a trickier year than the Essendon game last week might suggest.

Once CEY, Joyce, Ely Smith and Dev are back in that team I think we do a bit better.

I don't mind our academy kids getting a run in this competition though. Gives them a pathway and a chance to improve.

I think it might be a bit of a trickier year than the Essendon game last week might suggest.

Once CEY, Joyce, Ely Smith and Dev are back in that team I think we do a bit better.

I don't mind our academy kids getting a run in this competition though. Gives them a pathway and a chance to improve.
Add in Archie Smith and you are talking all of what would be the regular midfield.

not a impressive game apart from a patch from the end of first to about 3-4 mins to go in the second
Although unlike the NEAFL we played a better level team which be good for the kids to learn.
No Archie did not help.
They had real top ups mature players not kids.
Will be a few games like this in the season when we have injuries as we do not bat deep.
Would of thought we keep Eagles and Lyons in our VFL team as some experience.

Matho is a level above this although with Neale and Lyons ahead of him. You think CEY as well
I hope he does a Keays and looks elsewhere. Even down the road at the suns.
Fullarton got his hands on the ball a lot, ruck work not great. For someone who wants the ruck/forward role needs to kick at goal better.
Sharp seemed one of the few who played on quickly.. We pretty slow to move it on.. Although some of his disposal needs looking at
Kiddy was good. Brother did some nice things as well
A few top ups did well. Reville and Tasker.
Cockatoo a long way from forcing his way into the senior team.
Ballenden doing well as the spare man back. He is a great kick. Not sure how that gets him a role in the seniors. Dropped a sitter in the defensive goal square :(

We can’t be making room on a list for VFL players

I think what Rip is saying is that we made an offer in our $100k VFL top up salary cap to them to play just as reserves players, but they took better offers from other VFL clubs.

Wanted to, but better offers elsewhere.
Just my opinion, but seriously it is all about the AFL team and playing a 30+ year old player exclusively in VFL at the expensive of some exposure/development for our academy kids is not sustainable for the future. Shame Lyons did not get a game in the AFL, but understand after 4 or 5 years on the list that a spot has to be opened up to improve the list.
If we were serious about the VFL we would not pull players out half way through a game because they are emergency for the AFL side, or play players out of position. The reality is the AFL team is the most important, and that is the main game, so i don't mind seeing a few of the young guys develop in a reasonable standard competition, as opposed to not getting an opportunity because we kept Eagles or Lyons etc etc

I think what Rip is saying is that we made an offer in our $100k VFL top up salary cap to them to play just as reserves players, but they took better offers from other VFL clubs.
Our club is still $10mil in the hole.
We don’t need to be spending any extra money just for the sake of it.

Our club is still $10mil in the hole.
We don’t need to be spending any extra money just for the sake of it.

I think the club was quite keen to sign some mature VFL players up. Helps a great deal for development of younger players if our reserves team is competitive.

pros and cons of playing the young kids versus someone older
Even some like other clubs captain/asst coaches the 2's on the ground.

As said be great this year for our team to play against tougher teams.
Even southport and Aspley recruited well so be stronger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL Round 2 Weekend Results
GWS:
QT 2.2 (14) | HT 8.2 (50) | 3QT 10.3 (63) | FT 10.3 (63)
Footscray: QT 3.2 (20) | HT 8.4 (52) | 3QT 16.6 (102) | FT 21.9 (135)

Gold Coast: QT 1.4 (10) | HT 6.7 (43) | 3QT 10.8 (68) | FT 14.11 (95)
Sydney: QT 2.3 (15) | HT 6.6 (42) | 3QT 7.9 (51) | FT 12.9 (81)

Carlton: QT 12.1 (73) | HT 14.4 (88) | 3QT 20.7 (127) | FT 24.10 (154)
Brisbane: QT 3.0 (18) | HT 10.1 (61) | 3QR 11.4 (74) | FT 13.7 (85)

North Melbourne: QT 0.3 (3) | HT 1.5 (11) | 3QT 3.7 (25) | FT 5.9 (39)
Frankston: QT 4.2 (26) | HT 9.5 (59) | 3QT 12.5 (77) | FT 16.8 (104)

Southport: QT 3.6 (24) | HT 7.15 (57) | 3QT 10.21 (81) | FT 14.25 (109)
Aspley: QT 3.1 (19) | HT 6.3 (39) | 3QT 10.3 (63) | FT 15.5 (95)

Box Hill: QT 2.4 (16) | HT 9.4 (58) | 3QT 12.6 (78) | FT 17.10 (112)
Northern Bullants: QT 2.4 (16) | HT 4.5 (29) | 3QT 7.6 (48) | FT 8.8 (56)

Richmond: QT 2.4 (16) | HT 3.5 (23) | 3QT 4.5 (29) | FT 5.7 (37)
Casey: QT 5.4 (34) | HT 8.8 (56) | 3QT 11.14 (80) | FT 13.18 (96)

Collingwood: QT 1.4 (10) | HT 3.8 (26) | 3QT 5.12 (42) | FT 6.14 (50)
Essendon: QT 4.4 (28) | HT 4.7 (31) | 3QT 10.11 (71) | FT 12.13 (85)

Port Melbourne: QT 3.3 (21) | HT 4.8 (32) | 3QT 8.11 (59) | FT 13.14 (92)
Sandringham: QT 4.1 (25) | HT 8.7 (55) | 3QT 8.10 (58) | FT 9.12 (66)

Werribee: QT 1.2 (8) | HT 4.3 (27) | 3QT 5.6 (36) | FT 7.11 (53)
Willamstown: QT 6.0 (36) | HT 8.5 (53) | 3QT 8.8 (56) | FT 9.10 (64)

Okay that was a bit tough to watch especially early. I do not know what we were thinking in the first but whatever the plan was it was horrible. Fullarton provided no contest in the ruck early and with only 1 inside midfielder Carlton were waltzing the ball out. FFS I don't know who thought it was a good idea to play Uosis at the centre bounces for his second game. For some reason our backs also had decided to give the Carlton forwards 5 metres of space as well and so it was a massacre early. We tightened up after quarter time but the holes in our side were too much. Overall out skills and marking were terrible on the day.

On some of the players:

Fullarton - as mentioned was horrible in the first quarter. Just seemed to have no idea and was providing zero contest. After quarter time he at least neutralised the ruck contest a bit and started to win a few. Still well beaten in the ruck but he did work hard around the ground and picked up a stack of it. Again struggled in front of goal which is something he needs to address if he wants to play AFL football.

Ballenden - the only other big we had out there after H Smith went off at the end of the first quarter. The Blues did not have a natural match up for Ballenden and he played loose a lot. He dropped an easy mark late which cost a goal but personally I thought he had a very good game. His reading of the play and positioning was excellent and his disposal was good as normal. He has found his position.

B Smith - I was super impressed with him last week but a fair bit less so this. He was matched up on small mediums today and was well beaten. He struggled a bit athletically I thought and lost a couple of strength contests in goal scoring situations. His disposal was also sloppy today and I thought he took a few ordinary options and did not really use it well. He was certainly not the worst defender out there but he was certainly worse than last week.

Cockatoo - was horrible in defence today. He played exclusively in defence in the first half and was beaten time and again by his opponent. His positioning was ordinary and he read the ball poorly. Skills were below what you want. He moved into the middle for the third quarter and was okay but he was well below Mathieson who he replaced. Went forward and probably looked the best he did all day. Created a few goal scoring opportunities. Looked like he was struggling late hopefully it was just cramp.

Mathieson - comfortably the BOG for us in the first half. Played a lone hand on ball in the first half and won a lot of it. Also got forward and created three goals for himself. Went off at HT I assume to be an emergency for the firsts.

K Coleman - started on ball and had plenty of midfield time today. He was the one midfielder out there for us who looked like a class player. Still needs to work on his positioning a bit but he is continuing to improve and looked a class above this level. He has time with the ball in hand and takes his time to get rid of it.

B Coleman - with so many mids out he also got the chance to play on ball a bit today. He looked a year or so behind his brother development wise but he showed enough to be fairly confident he is going to be an AFL player. Good composure and skills but he needs to improve his tank. I would have liked him to get more separation up forward.

Sharp - was another who got a few centre clearances in the second half. He was happy enough to put his head over the ball but his positioning and game smarts in tight were lacking. He ran hard all day as you would expect and got a reasonable amount of it but he did not have a big influence on the game.

Madden - had an interesting game. He played some time loose behind the ball in the second quarter and was a significant factor in our big comeback at that stage. He read the ball coming forward pretty well and impacted a lot of contests. In the second half he played quite a lot of time on the wing and was okay without really being outstanding. He made a few errors but overall I thought he was one of our better players. It was a good learning game for him I thought.

Usosis - as mentioned above he started on ball in the first quarter and looked lost with his positioning. Completely unfair by the coaches and poorly thought out by them. After that he played behind the ball and seemed solid enough although I didn't see much of him. His skills when he got it were decent enough.

H Smith - not seen after quarter time. Played mostly at FF and hardly saw the ball. Rucked a few times and actually did pretty well.

Michael - got enough of it but his skills were average at best. He was one of the offenders who gave his opponent too much space.

Crozier - started on the wing and he continued to unimpress me in that role. Moved in the backline mainly after quarter time and I thought he played much better. Something to work with behind the ball imo.

Tasker - made the most of limited opportunities. I was surprised that after doing some nice things on the wing last week we didn't see him there today.
Thoughts on special Bruce?

d82f8ba1869303de3e6716d97cd38ee9.jpg

Interesting reading the write ups from jurno’s compared to our Bigfooty folk.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has anyone heard anything about Joyce or CEY? Both haven't played at any level the last 2 weeks, both aren't listed on the injury list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back