2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am a little surprised Aspley & Southport decided to join the new league
THE AFL has confirmed 22 licences for the 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition with clubs to be based in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria all confirmed to line-up in 2021.

Confirmed licences:
Standalone Second-Tier Clubs
: Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Southport, Werribee, Williamstown
Standalone AFL Clubs: Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast SUNS, GWS GIANTS, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney Swans
Aligned Clubs: Sandringham, Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons

Full article link

A 16 round season is interesting.
In 2019 both the VFL and NEAFL seasons were 21 rounds plus finals.

is this an indication that the AFL season will again be a 17 round one in 2021?

Absolutely no chance the AFL has a shortened season next year unless they're absolutely forced to I wouldn't think.

They'll be looking for any and every way to start making money back in 2021, and more games rather than less is most likely the solution to that. The shortened VFL season might be a money thing as well - to cut back on the games that aren't making them much money.

With only 16 rounds, the first year will be a finding out the standard of each team.
Following years they will possibly have the bottom four to six teams season draw adjusted.
We will find out more soon

At least the AFL have ticked one more box off what they need to do for next years season
Next is list sizes . Possibly a small drop to 42 + 2 Cat B rookies & another 2 off the following year
Then Total Player Payments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the salary cap in the WAFL and SANFL?
No idea.
I suppose i should have elaborated.
What coin are these guys on
Adams, Answerth, Ballenden, Coleman, Ellis-Yolmen, Hinge, Stef, Mathieson, Payne, Robertson, A Smith, Witherden + remainder
$200,000 divided by 23 = $8,700
It can't be worked out like that so how is it calculated.
Is it the payments made to anyone playing not on the "Clubs Primary List"

No idea.
I suppose i should have elaborated.
What coin are these guys on
Adams, Answerth, Ballenden, Coleman, Ellis-Yolmen, Hinge, Stef, Mathieson, Payne, Robertson, A Smith, Witherden + remainder
$200,000 divided by 23 = $8,700
It can't be worked out like that so how is it calculated.
Is it the payments made to anyone playing not on the "Clubs Primary List"

I assume the $100k goes to those not on the team's AFL list. Bear in mind even VFL clubs run by AFL clubs were able to sign players specifically to their VFL team, unlike the NEAFL clubs.

I assume the $100k goes to those not on the team's AFL list. Bear in mind even VFL clubs run by AFL clubs were able to sign players specifically to their VFL team, unlike the NEAFL clubs.
Although I assume that we've been able to pay senior topups (at least wrt match payments) and, more recently, the U19 academy players.

Just found out the reasoning for the shorter season.

the cricket season is being dragged on later into next season in Victoria which will limit venues available early on in the season. Then, they’ll need to still finish before the AFLGF

Kinda makes sense. End of the day we that this in the pipeline before Covid financially crippled everyone as well. They need to get something off the ground for next year, and it will have problems and teething issues. Good practice season.

I think it makes sense for an East Coast competition to have conference type system. I don't think everyone playing each other once makes a lot of sense, although in the future they do need to match the length of the AFL season more than likely. Could still see 'local' teams playing each other more than once, or AFL sides playing each other more than once, and running a more conference type finals system down the track.

Just found out the reasoning for the shorter season.

the cricket season is being dragged on later into next season in Victoria which will limit venues available early on in the season. Then, they’ll need to still finish before the AFLGF
Yep, Vic Premier Cricket finishing in April. Yikes!

I hope this is the first step to a national reserves comp. I’d prefer the AFL chuck money at a national reserves comp than the AFLW, which is never going to generate enough income to break even. At the moment the setup massively disadvantages the W.A. and S.A. teams, but perhaps within a couple of years we will have an 18 team reserves comp. With finals played games played as the opening games as it used to be. I think it will give young players much more opportunity to develop, prove their worth and coaches to experiment with players positions a little more as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back