2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

MegaA

Debutant
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hope this is the first step to a national reserves comp. I’d prefer the AFL chuck money at a national reserves comp than the AFLW is never going to generate enough income to break even. At the moment the setup massively disadvantages the W.A. and S.A. teams, but perhaps within a couple of years we will have an 18 team reserves comp. With finals played games played as the opening games as it used to be. I think it will give young players much more opportunity to develop, prove their worth and coaches to experiment with players positions a little more as well.

Correct AFLW is over hyped and the publicity it gets is disproportionate to the quality.

Having a reserves competition would be awesome as that would allow the old VFA clubs to have their own competition with less hinderance from the AFL and AFL clubs.

I hope this is the first step to a national reserves comp. I’d prefer the AFL chuck money at a national reserves comp than the AFLW, which is never going to generate enough income to break even. At the moment the setup massively disadvantages the W.A. and S.A. teams, but perhaps within a couple of years we will have an 18 team reserves comp. With finals played games played as the opening games as it used to be. I think it will give young players much more opportunity to develop, prove their worth and coaches to experiment with players positions a little more as well.

The AFLW is not there as a money making endevour. It is to fill a pathway for women /girls who want to play our game, and to grow the supporter base overall. Worthless comparison.

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The AFLW is not there as a money making endevour. It is to fill a pathway for women /girls who want to play our game, and to grow the supporter base overall. Worthless comparison.
I didn’t make a comparison. I said what I would have preferred the AFL to invest in a reserves competition before a womens competition that clearly wasn’t/isn’t ready to go national.

The AFL wants the women’s game to generate income, don’t kid yourself.

I didn’t make a comparison. I said what I would have preferred the AFL to invest in a reserves competition before a womens competition that clearly wasn’t/isn’t ready to go national.

They'd prefer it to make money - all else being equal, why not after all - but it's already delivered more growth in amateur participation than a national reserves competition ever would. There's values other than money after all.

Big picture, sunshine. You reckon some B grader will generate the exposure, publicity and positive recognition Tayla Harris has? You don't reckon having families all over the country having sons and daughters wanting to go to the footy is worth investing in?

A ressies comp will make about as much money as the Sheffield Shield - zilch. The overall benefits of the AFLW far outweigh anything a B grade comp ever will.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Big picture, sunshine. You reckon some B grader will generate the exposure, publicity and positive recognition Tayla Harris has? You don't reckon having families all over the country having sons and daughters wanting to go to the footy is worth investing in?

A ressies comp will make about as much money as the Sheffield Shield - zilch. The overall benefits of the AFLW far outweigh anything a B grade comp ever will.
Well said!

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some rule changes. Full article link below. The one below is for this comp.

"The AFL will also trial a new rule in its new east-coast state-league competition in 2021 that will require teams to reset into zones.
At every boundary throw-in, kick-in and centre bounce, three pairs of players will be required in each zone, according to The Age’s Michael Gleeson.
The rule trialling is an attempt to reduce congestion around the ball."

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some rule changes. Full article link below. The one below is for this comp.

"The AFL will also trial a new rule in its new east-coast state-league competition in 2021 that will require teams to reset into zones.
At every boundary throw-in, kick-in and centre bounce, three pairs of players will be required in each zone, according to The Age’s Michael Gleeson.
The rule trialling is an attempt to reduce congestion around the ball."

be interesting will slow the ball ups and kick ins counting sheep at the other end.
I do like the idea.. stops the rolling scrum.

be interesting will slow the ball ups and kick ins counting sheep at the other end.
I do like the idea.. stops the rolling scrum.
Coaches will be forced to play people back closer to the 50 otherwise it would hold up the play far too much.
They are even talking the possibility of one needing to be in the goal square. Can’t see how that is doable. Or we bring back Plugga. The stay at home forward will come back into fashion.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Does say one pair in goal square so yes be interesting.
I do not mind the whole Full Forward making a come back
1605737156189.png

Reading that as written you have to have a player inside each goal square at kick-ins, but if you're the defending team doing so would result in a 50 m penalty because the defender has to both be in the goal square and 15 metres back from the player taking the kick-in. :D

(I know that's not what is intended, but it tickled my fancy.)

Feb 20, 2009
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FITZROY FC, NY Mets, Melbourne Aces
As a football lover I'm concerned about the further desecration of the historic VFA and any negative effects removing the top clubs could have on the development of football in Queensland and New South Wales.

But as a Lions fan living in Victoria I'm really looking forward to the prospect of being able to see some of our future stars live, and possibly take my 6 year old son to a Lions game where the stakes are a bit lower if he doesn't want to hang around for a whole match.

This new arrangement also opens up some unique opportunities for furthering the Fitzroy/Brisbane relationship. A Brisbane Lions game at Brunswick St after the current upgrade would be amazing although I concede somewhat unlikely. However a training session there or some sort of joint event with the Fitzroy Football Club is probably a lot more doable. Even just getting our young players to spend a little more time in the spiritual heartland of Fitzroy and touring the Museum at Docklands would be worthwhile.

A little more leftfield but I would also love to see something done to acknowledge the short lived but still significant Coburg-Fitzroy Lions arrangement from 1999-2000. During the dark days between the merger and a lot of the healing that occurred in the early 2000's around the premierships and the team of the century event. The, at the time teamless, Fitzroy Football Club committee entered into a sponsorship arrangement with Coburg kept them involved in football and kept them on the path that led to their eventual on field rebirth in the VAFA. It only lasted for a couple of years before the AFL ruined it, but it was an important stepping stone to the much happier and healthier (if still densely complicated) relationship between Fitzroy and Brisbane that exists today.
The Coburg Lions are also relevant to the Brisbane Lions story as their excellent choice in mascots influenced Fitzroys decision to adopt the Lion, and Coburg City Oval served as a training base at times for the itinerant Fitzroy in the 90's.
I'm not sure what the fixture will look like but if Brisbane do play an away game against Coburg it'd be cool to see something done. I also wouldn't mind seeing a revival of the excellent Fitzroy 90's preseason jumper that the Coburg-Fitzroy Lions also wore as and alternate strip.
These days Coburg are one of the few stand alone VFL clubs remaining so making an event out of a game against Brisbane would probably be a good money earner for them.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lucky BT does not call the VFL games (but we could hope)
He goes off enough in the AFL about "don't wait, just throw it up umps".
No doubt this new rule will slow the game down after years of the AFL trying to fasten the game up.
Worth a try i suppose to see how players and umpires handle the changes and see if it does reduce the rolling scrum
I understand the principle but don't understand why 2 players need to be actually in the goal square for ALL stoppages and kick ins.
I would have thought center bounces only for 2 players in goal square

Still think it will make it harder for players in the new VFL to adjust to AFL level when promoted
The game will be vastly different from one level to the next

Lucky BT does not call the VFL games (but we could hope)
He goes off enough in the AFL about "don't wait, just throw it up umps".
No doubt this new rule will slow the game down after years of the AFL trying to fasten the game up.
Worth a try i suppose to see how players and umpires handle the changes and see if it does reduce the rolling scrum
I understand the principle but don't understand why 2 players need to be actually in the goal square for ALL stoppages and kick ins.
I would have thought center bounces only for 2 players in goal square

Still think it will make it harder for players in the new VFL to adjust to AFL level when promoted
The game will be vastly different from one level to the next
35 minute quarters will become the norm next year, after the shortening of quarters this year averaging about 25 minutes.
probably an extra 40 mins of game time.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I noticed the 20 minutes plus time on is not yet set in stone
Below from The Guardian today

The AFL’s experiment with 16-minute quarters is over as the competition prepares to again increase game time next year.
The length of quarters was slashed from 20 minutes for the 2020 season as the AFL managed the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic.

4999.jpg

Collingwood's trade period debacle creates an AFL mess seldom seen

Read more
AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking has confirmed the duration of games will rise in 2021, but by how much remains to be seen.

There is a possibility of 18-minute quarters, instead of the traditional 20-minutes plus time-on.

“[AFL chief executive] Gil [McLachlan] and myself have both said we won’t be going back to 16,” Hocking told SEN. “It will lengthen, it’s just we need a little bit more time to finalise that part of it.

“Hopefully [in] 2021 we do get back to some sort of normality, but it’s certainly not looking that way at this stage.”

AFL Players Association president Patrick Dangerfield is keen not to go back to 20-minute quarters.

“My personal view is that 16 is too short. I think 18 is about right,” the Geelong star told SEN. “Adding an extra layer of complexity to that is I think at different stages this year, the shorter breaks worked quite well.

I noticed the 20 minutes plus time on is not yet set in stone
Below from The Guardian today

The AFL’s experiment with 16-minute quarters is over as the competition prepares to again increase game time next year.
The length of quarters was slashed from 20 minutes for the 2020 season as the AFL managed the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic.

4999.jpg

Collingwood's trade period debacle creates an AFL mess seldom seen

Read more
AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking has confirmed the duration of games will rise in 2021, but by how much remains to be seen.

There is a possibility of 18-minute quarters, instead of the traditional 20-minutes plus time-on.

“[AFL chief executive] Gil [McLachlan] and myself have both said we won’t be going back to 16,” Hocking told SEN. “It will lengthen, it’s just we need a little bit more time to finalise that part of it.

“Hopefully [in] 2021 we do get back to some sort of normality, but it’s certainly not looking that way at this stage.”

AFL Players Association president Patrick Dangerfield is keen not to go back to 20-minute quarters.

“My personal view is that 16 is too short. I think 18 is about right,” the Geelong star told SEN. “Adding an extra layer of complexity to that is I think at different stages this year, the shorter breaks worked quite well.
Surely that is still to do with COVID?
And the fact that there are still likely breakouts and lock downs for the foreseeable future.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely that is still to do with COVID?
And the fact that there are still likely breakouts and lock downs for the foreseeable future.
It is just that the AFL have not formally announced the change.
The reference to "normality" i took as being the very recent SA Covid issue.
But we could still have a issue next year. if so they would adjust rules etc just like this year
I expect it will be 20 + minutes but why not officially announce the change back to the norm
The AFL like to stretch things out so they get another headline later on.

This from the AFL site yesterday.
"in 2021, quarter length is expected to return to 20 minutes plus time-on, up from 16 minutes plus time-on in 2020, but the AFL is yet to formally announce that change."

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Yep, Vic Premier Cricket finishing in April. Yikes!
WE cricket people have been complaining for years about footy encroaching on the cricket season. Footy people complaining about cricket continuing on too long is a case of the kettle calling the pot black.

I can report that the pitches down here in Melbourne in suburban cricket are in wonderful condition purely because there has been no footy.

I have always been of the opinion that the cricket should start min October and finish mid April. Start two week later than we do now. Its often bloody freezing and very wet in October and April, autumn weather is the best time of the year in Melbourne

New details about the name and fixture of the seconds competition for VIC, NSW & QLD clubs being announced tonight with 2021 fixture to be announced in late February with round 1 beginning on Saturday, 17th April according to Williamstown Football Club twitter page.

Seems like this thread should be renamed and called the 2021 VFL Competition now given we have confirmation of the name.

Last edited:
Back