2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We’ll be Hubbing down in Melbourne this year.
Yes I think that is a real possibility, or at least hubs somewhere. I heard last year some of the senior players were really against the hubs and taking 50% cut in their salaries probably didn't help either. The AFL with support from QLD Govt did everything possible to appease the senior players with families and wife's, and IF hubs do eventuate families will have to be considered again.
Training in Melbourne in July won't be the same as training in Brissy

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I just can't see the AFL forking out huge amounts money to hub VFL players
Agree. I can see a situation like the NRL last year where those not in the first team or on the fringe, playing very few games during lockdowns. So IF Lions in a Hub in Melbourne does the AFL set some rules and say you can only take 33 -35, not your whole list? Really hope not, as you can see the development of some of the recent draftees and rookie players being hindered for a year.
Will AFL clubs allow their young contracted players to play in the QFAL, and risk an injury?
FWIW I actually liked the footy frenzy.
Lets all hope that there is no serious interruptions to the season

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
We have plenty of KPPs as it is, with very few of them older than 27. And we can always draft more. Briskey is no big loss.
That wasn’t my point.

I was talking about the ability to top up from our academy for the reserves this season, and thinking specifically about tall defenders, which we only have four genuine tall defenders on our list, 3 of which are likely to play in the senior team.

Nor do we have plenty of KPP’s. We have 4 KPD, 4 KPF, 2 rucks and 2 ruck forwards.

The senior team will likely play 3 KPD, 1 ruck and 3 KPF.

Only takes two injuries to our tall stocks to leave our reserve team rather short.

The caveat to my discussion is that I don’t know the quality of talls in our U18 academy kids.

And Collingwood may not sign up Briskey at the end of the preseason.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Yes I think that is a real possibility, or at least hubs somewhere. I heard last year some of the senior players were really against the hubs and taking 50% cut in their salaries probably didn't help either. The AFL with support from QLD Govt did everything possible to appease the senior players with families and wife's, and IF hubs do eventuate families will have to be considered again.
Training in Melbourne in July won't be the same as training in Brissy
Just a minor point. The players didn’t take a full 50% pay cut on their yearly salary. They were 5 months in to the yearly pay cycle when the season was put on hold.

Last edited:
Just a minor point. The players didn’t take a full 50% pay cut on their yearly salary. They were 5 months in to the yearly pay cycle when the season was put on hold.

My memory isn’t the best the eventual outcome of the bargaining between the AFL and AFLPA, but I don’t think the cut ended up being 50% either on the remaining 7 months of their salaries.
Don’t hold me to this but I thought I had heard or read that the players only ended up taking about an 8% pay cut for the year.
Doesn’t seem much if true.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am a little surprised Aspley & Southport decided to join the new league
THE AFL has confirmed 22 licences for the 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition with clubs to be based in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria all confirmed to line-up in 2021.

Confirmed licences:
Standalone Second-Tier Clubs
: Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Southport, Werribee, Williamstown
Standalone AFL Clubs: Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast SUNS, GWS GIANTS, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney Swans
Aligned Clubs: Sandringham, Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons

Full article link

I don't really know what these two clubs joined but traditionally Southport was the richest club in Queensland. If i recall there were gifted a lot of money by someone who passed away and they had the best facilities, best social club and hence the best income and were continually successful. Aspley started in the 'sweet spot', Windsor Zillimere and Mayne footy clubs got swamped with inner city growth and to some extent so did Wilston Grange. Aspley sat in the urban fringe, the new development areas. When my son was playing with Ben Keays as a junior at Morningside (another inner city club) Aspley would often have 3 teams in every age group - more player and more money. I'm only guessing but the AFL have thought about 'pathways' and said they want a few clubs in each state where players can see a pathway through to AFL. That seems to be true as Aspley in Brisbane has invited a number of good kids in the 18, 19, 20 age range to train with them that were doing ok in the second tier competition. Having Aspley and Southport seems to give the late bloomers a pathway to the AFL or at least a competition that offers them exposure. Maybe they were asked, maybe they were incentivised, either way on the ground we can see why they are there. Maybe they will find the next Josh Drummond and those other late blooming Queenslanders, remembering Richmond took a kid this year fro the 2nd tier completion here.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
yes you are correct I believe from April to October inclusive they took 50% cut and apparently around 9% for the full year thus far.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
yes you are correct I believe from April to October inclusive they took 50% cut and apparently around 9% for the full year thus far.
3.5% cut on average as per this article.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don’t hold me to this but I thought I had heard or read that the players only ended up taking about an 8% pay cut for the year.
Doesn’t seem much if true.
Players took a 50% pay cut from April to October inclusive even though the season (modified one) was played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
3.5% cut on average as per this article.

The article also explains that clubs can ask players to take a further cut of 5% this year and repay next year, so shift 5% of their salary for this year. So although some players will be taking 8.5% cut this year, they appear to be guaranteed the additional 5% next year, so yes only a 3.5% cut

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Players took a 50% pay cut from April to October inclusive even though the season (modified one) was played.
Not too sure I did the link correctly, but about half way down article from AFL.com.au states even if the season gets underway (which it did) players still only receiving 50% of their salary from April.

Not too sure I did the link correctly, but about half way down article from AFL.com.au states even if the season gets underway (which it did) players still only receiving 50% of their salary from April.
Which means that for the year they took a 29.2% pay cut.
So they were payed more than 2/3rds of their money for last year.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Which means that for the year they took a 29.2% pay cut.
So they still earn more than 2/3rds of their money.
Yes around 30%. Appears 5 months on full pay and a 50% cut for the remaining 7.
What I found interesting is that the players were prepared to go to hubs (some left family behind) for the good of the game, because if there was no season they would have received 30% of their monthly salary, for not playing and not leaving home, but instead went into hubs and received 50% of their monthly salary.
I think if there was no AFL season in 2020, players would have been looking at bigger cuts this year, perhaps this was a consideration also.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't really know what these two clubs joined but traditionally Southport was the richest club in Queensland. If i recall there were gifted a lot of money by someone who passed away and they had the best facilities, best social club and hence the best income and were continually successful. Aspley started in the 'sweet spot', Windsor Zillimere and Mayne footy clubs got swamped with inner city growth and to some extent so did Wilston Grange. Aspley sat in the urban fringe, the new development areas. When my son was playing with Ben Keays as a junior at Morningside (another inner city club) Aspley would often have 3 teams in every age group - more player and more money. I'm only guessing but the AFL have thought about 'pathways' and said they want a few clubs in each state where players can see a pathway through to AFL. That seems to be true as Aspley in Brisbane has invited a number of good kids in the 18, 19, 20 age range to train with them that were doing ok in the second tier competition. Having Aspley and Southport seems to give the late bloomers a pathway to the AFL or at least a competition that offers them exposure. Maybe they were asked, maybe they were incentivised, either way on the ground we can see why they are there. Maybe they will find the next Josh Drummond and those other late blooming Queenslanders, remembering Richmond took a kid this year fro the 2nd tier completion here.
That was a post i made 29/10/20
I was totally thinking about the expenses side of things for these two Clubs in Queensland. It is a risk for them both.
Yes Southport is a big club with $29million in assets @ 31/10/2019 being the last annual report i can find.
But they recorded a deficit in 2019 of $2.5million and another deficit of $1.4 million in the previous year
Then they had to contend with covid in 2020 so i expect a bigger loss in 2020. Figures should be available as AGM was in December 2020
Can't find anything on Annual Reports for the Aspley Hornets.
I have been to the Hornets. The social club is nice but not large in size. They do have 167 gaming machines which should generate good revenue.
But gaming machines don't always guarantee a big profit for the Club's overall financial end of year report.

The Southport venue opened in 1989 at a cost of $2.7 million of which Wally Fankhauser donated $2.2 million. the ground is called Fankhauser Reserve.

A side note The Broncos Leagues Club made another loss for year 2019/20 of $832,000 to go with their $799,000 loss the year before that.
The Broncos have 250 gaming machines

Agree that the AFL would have to be throwing some money their way to make it viable.
Also pathways to academies as you indicated would have been discussed and the AFL do want to expand the game in Queensland

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That was a post i made 29/10/20
I was totally thinking about the expenses side of things for these two Clubs in Queensland. It is a risk for them both.
Yes Southport is a big club with $29million in assets @ 31/10/2019 being the last annual report i can find.
But they recorded a deficit in 2019 of $2.5million and another deficit of $1.4 million in the previous year
Then they had to contend with covid in 2020 so i expect a bigger loss in 2020. Figures should be available as AGM was in December 2020
Can't find anything on Annual Reports for the Aspley Hornets.
I have been to the Hornets. The social club is nice but not large in size. They do have 167 gaming machines which should generate good revenue.
But gaming machines don't always guarantee a big profit for the Club's overall financial end of year report.

The Southport venue opened in 1989 at a cost of $2.7 million of which Wally Fankhauser donated $2.2 million. the ground is called Fankhauser Reserve.

A side note The Broncos Leagues Club made another loss for year 2019/20 of $832,000 to go with their $799,000 loss the year before that.
The Broncos have 250 gaming machines

Agree that the AFL would have to be throwing some money their way to make it viable.
Also pathways to academies as you indicated would have been discussed and the AFL do want to expand the game in Queensland

From memory Southport always had thousands of members & no shortage of pokies. Can't imagine they'd have done anything but grown as an organization over the last five years, particularly with the growth of the university, new hospital, and now the comm games village around the corner. I wonder if the deficits have been due to capital works / renovations.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From memory Southport always had thousands of members & no shortage of pokies. Can't imagine they'd have done anything but grown as an organization over the last five years, particularly with the growth of the university, new hospital, and now the comm games village around the corner. I wonder if the deficits have been due to capital works / renovations.
Without going into you capital works/renovations question see below Note 3a Going Concern from their 2019 annual report
Remember this was before the covid year of 2020.
They also opened "Mantra Southport Sharks" a 120 room on site accommodation Hotel which had revenue less expenses for that financial year. Not sure the net result. But they did mention revenue for the first year was not up to expectations. Once again that was before covid hit.
One thing they have up their sleeve is an ongoing large donation to the Suns. See below as it was to be reviewed in 2020

NOTE 3A: GOING CONCERN The financial, statements have been prepared on a going concern basis which contemplates continuity of normal activities and realisation of assets and settlement of liabilities in the normal course of business, notwithstanding the company incurred a loss for the year of $2,508,046 and had current liabilities that exceeded current assets by $8,921,194 as at 1 October, 2019. The directors are confident of the company’s ability to continue as a going concern and to realise its assets and discharge its liabilities in the normal course of business having considered the following:- i) Positive net cashflows from operating activities of $235,245 for the period ended 1 October 2019 (2018: $2,779,617); and ii) Successful renegotiation of the current bank loan of $7,831,368 (refer note 15(b)) iii) Planned growth and cost savings initiatives underpinning the 2020 financial budget.

SARFC continues to promote and foster the growth of AFL on the Gold Coast with the support through the Patron Partnership of the Gold Coast Suns AFL to the value of $1,191,666 during the 2019 financial year. The Patron Partnership has been an ongoing investment from Southport Sharks since the inception of the Gold Coast Suns and will continue to receive support, though the club has reviewed its investment for 2020.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
had current liabilities that exceeded current assets by $8,921,194 as at 1 October, 2019.

Pffffttt. This is the Gold Coast we're talking about here. Situation normal. Ask Jim Raptis :D

SharksAFL.gif

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox

Most of the pertinent details of the league is in this article. Even the writer of the article, along with Kane Cornes and just about everyone else is confused why it is called the 'VFL' despite 6 of the 22 clubs being based outside of Victoria.

Other interesting points about the VFL for mine include:

- The VFL will start on Saturday April 17, with the 22 clubs to play a 16-game season across 19 rounds. Each team will have three byes.

- The competition will enforce some of the latest AFL-imposed rules — location of the mark from kick-ins extended to 15m and minimal lateral movement allowed for players standing the mark — as well as trialling zones. For every boundary throw-in and kick-in, a minimum of three players from each team must be stationed inside 50m arcs – including one pair in the goalsquare. Should it go well, the rule could be brought into the AFL in the future.

- Ex-Blue Ben Silvagni headlines Sydney Swans’ list as rival clubs begin to finalise their lists.

At a guess, I'd expect the Lions to play 8 home games, away games against the Suns, Aspley and Southport, GWS and Sydney (5 games) to minimise cost to the AFL and I dare say, the Lions will only play 3 games in Melbourne. It would be nice if the Lions played more in Melbourne on weekends we play down here as curtain raisers to the Lions seniors opposition. My couple of wishes is for the Lions to play at Beach Oval in Sandringham being based in Bayside and down at Frankston which is near to the Mornington Peninsula.

Either way, even if they only play 3 away games in Melbourne, it is a massive bonus for the Lions faithful down here. I'm not sure if its possible for seasons 2022 and beyond, but the club should consider if it is able to get Vic Memberships to include access to the reserves games down here.

Nov 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

At a guess, I'd expect the Lions to play 8 home games, away games against the Suns, Aspley and Southport, GWS and Sydney (5 games) to minimise cost to the AFL and I dare say, the Lions will only play 3 games in Melbourne.

I'm not sure your logic entirely adds up - if lions played 8 home games, then you'd think all those other qld and nsw teams would play 8 home games and it couldn't all be against each other. Like the afl you'd think we'd split the other qld teams 2-1 / 1-2 home/away sydney teams 1/1 [discounting the fact that it's 22 teams and 16 games so we'd likely not play all] - which leaves at least 5 Vic games, likely 6.

I also think there's a bigger draw to having us in Melbourne than Southport for example, especially with the seniors down there 6 times this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back