2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Ballenden and Adams both come in and should solidify the defensive unit (given Ballenden has been working with the backs from reports).

To me it looks like our forwards are where we are going to short of players. We have a lot of small medium defenders who are available. Some small medium forwards who are really mids who probably play in the mids in the reserves given the reduced list sizes (thinking Robertson, Berry Jr, Joyce, Mathieson, CEY). Who is left - Blake Coleman?

So probably a really good opportunity for any of the academy forwards with a bit of talent to show what they can do. Jordan Michael maybe as a 2021 draftee.

Jordan Michael has a ton of work to do before he is in the frame to be drafted. I hope he does, but a lot of development needed.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I'm not sure what the fixture will look like but if Brisbane do play an away game against Coburg it'd be cool to see something done. I also wouldn't mind seeing a revival of the excellent Fitzroy 90's preseason jumper that the Coburg-Fitzroy Lions also wore as and alternate strip.
These days Coburg are one of the few stand alone VFL clubs remaining so making an event out of a game against Brisbane would probably be a good money earner for them.

I'd love to see the Brisbane Lions reserves side wear the red (FFC logo) Fitzroy jumper with blue shorts against sides like Collingwood, Carlton and their other long time VFL rivals when they play in Victoria. I'd definitely go and see that.

vintage-1980s-fitzroy-football-club_1_4a6c119be0873fe0ff92136bc04daaa5.jpg

Last edited:

COVID cash flow issues aside, the Lions should have a plan to take the VFL more seriously as having a competitive team will enhance our player's development and the club's marketability (and fan happiness) in Victoria.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Given we just beat Aspley maybe our reserves team won't be that bad. The academy kids will improve a lot over the year as well

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
https://www.lions.com.au/news/886672/smith-a-standout-in-vfl-practice-match

Ely Smith has put his name forward for a senior call-up with a starring performance in the reserves’ scratch match against Aspley on Saturday.

The Lions snatched a one-point victory with a goal just before the final siren to Tom Berry.

Marcus Adams, Connor Ballenden and Jaxon Prior were other standouts in the 9.12 (66) to 10.5 (65) victory which also saw a return to action for defender Noah Answerth after battling with a groin injury since last season.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
https://www.lions.com.au/news/886672/smith-a-standout-in-vfl-practice-match

Ely Smith has put his name forward for a senior call-up with a starring performance in the reserves’ scratch match against Aspley on Saturday.

The Lions snatched a one-point victory with a goal just before the final siren to Tom Berry.

Marcus Adams, Connor Ballenden and Jaxon Prior were other standouts in the 9.12 (66) to 10.5 (65) victory which also saw a return to action for defender Noah Answerth after battling with a groin injury since last season.
Article also mentioned Prior had 21 possessions off the wing and Dev Robertson was our biggest ball winner with 25 possessions. Would love for those two to push hard for senior selection over the next month and put some added pressure onto guys like Birchall and Robinson.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Article also mentioned Prior had 21 possessions off the wing and Dev Robertson was our biggest ball winner with 25 possessions. Would love for those two to push hard for senior selection over the next month and put some added pressure onto guys like Birchall and Robinson.
We need to do something desperately with our midfield. It's obviously not working the way it is.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
We need to do something desperately with our midfield. It's obviously not working the way it is.
It worked well enough in 2020 to get us to 2nd on the H&A ladder(on the back of 2nd in 2019), a victory against the eventual premiers in the QF and a Prelim appearance.

Always room for improvement but I wouldn't be writing our midfield off after 1 ordinary performance.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It worked well enough in 2020 to get us to 2nd on the H&A ladder(on the back of 2nd in 2019), a victory against the eventual premiers in the QF and a Prelim appearance.

Always room for improvement but I wouldn't be writing our midfield off after 1 ordinary performance.
I guess you're right. Round 1 is usually a cluster *, but the response this weekend will be interesting and likely a true indication of where we are at.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Be careful overreacting to one game. It is common for supporters after a loss to feel like the team is in a very bad place and the coaches need to swing mass changes and then the following week those very same players who failed the week before to perform look a million bucks all of a sudden.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Be careful overreacting to one game. It is common for supporters after a loss to feel like the team is in a very bad place and the coaches need to swing mass changes and then the following week those very same players who failed the week before to perform look a million bucks all of a sudden.
I haven’t read every post to know if people have overreacted to the weekends game.

But we played really poorly, against a side everyone tipped us to beat.

And just about every flaw in our team got shown up. By a team most expect to miss finals.

Better be some type of rebound game this weekend.

I’m definitely one who’s in the “we’ve over achieved the last two seasons, and we’re not as good as we’re made out to be” camp.

Back