2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t read every post to know if people have overreacted to the weekends game.

But we played really poorly, against a side everyone tipped us to beat.

And just about every flaw in our team got shown up. By a team most expect to miss finals.

Better be some type of rebound game this weekend.

I’m definitely one who’s in the “we’ve over achieved the last two seasons, and we’re not as good as we’re made out to be” camp.

I will make that decision in October.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Article also mentioned Prior had 21 possessions off the wing and Dev Robertson was our biggest ball winner with 25 possessions. Would love for those two to push hard for senior selection over the next month and put some added pressure onto guys like Birchall and Robinson.
Prior and Madden can both give us the speed we need in the backline. I don't think Birchall can hack it this year, and I think Lester's lack of pace will be a concern also.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
https://www.lions.com.au/news/886672/smith-a-standout-in-vfl-practice-match

Ely Smith has put his name forward for a senior call-up with a starring performance in the reserves’ scratch match against Aspley on Saturday.

The Lions snatched a one-point victory with a goal just before the final siren to Tom Berry.

Marcus Adams, Connor Ballenden and Jaxon Prior were other standouts in the 9.12 (66) to 10.5 (65) victory which also saw a return to action for defender Noah Answerth after battling with a groin injury since last season.
Very small thumbs up to the club for providing some info on the seconds after ten months of negative feedback on the lack of info, big thumbs up to Jason for posting it here. I’d given up looking for it on the clubs website.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Very small thumbs up to the club for providing some info on the seconds after ten months of negative feedback on the lack of info, big thumbs up to Jason for posting it here. I’d given up looking for it on the clubs website.
Meanwhile, Bulldogs provide a highlights video of their reserves scratch match, Ugle-Hagan kicking 5 might have something to do with it.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I haven’t read every post to know if people have overreacted to the weekends game.

But we played really poorly, against a side everyone tipped us to beat.

And just about every flaw in our team got shown up. By a team most expect to miss finals.

Better be some type of rebound game this weekend.

I’m definitely one who’s in the “we’ve over achieved the last two seasons, and we’re not as good as we’re made out to be” camp.
I Don't want to overreact to one game, but I also believe we probably 'over achieved' slightly last year. Hard to gauge a true form line with Hubs that affected some players (eg West Coast) and the fact that our players (and Suns) got to stay in their own homes and played most games in QLD. This is an advantage the Melb clubs have in a normal season, so barring injuries I expect Dogs, Saints, Eagles to improve within the 8. Carlton and Freeo to improve. Sydney to improve but fade in the second half of the year. As brave as the Suns were on Sunday against West Coast they don't make the 8.

IF we go down 0-2, I still believe we make the top 8 and hopefully top 6, as our list is IMO better than last year. However there will have to be a few changes, and Fages should persist with some of the young players. I am confident we beat Collingwood at the GABBA on Thursday week and hopefully we are sitting 2-1.

No doubt Dizzy when fit will help, but our mids and CHBackline need to be more accountable, and hopefully it starts this Friday night, even if they don't win there needs to be a collective response.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Each game we lost in the last 2 years we got smashed out of the middle.
Not over reacting.. It seems a common theme we get smashed by a team who kick a bag of goals in a short period.
We seem to have no plan B when this happens, or quick to implement one. A lot of times in the 3rd as well like last weekend
Swans 9-2 3rd
Cats 7-0 in 2020 3rd
Tiger 5-1 in 2020 2nd
Tigers 7-2 2019 3rd
Tigers 6-2 2019 1st
Bombers 7-2 in 2019 1st
Pies 8-2 2019 2nd
Blue 5-2 2019 3rd

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Prior and Madden can both give us the speed we need in the backline. I don't think Birchall can hack it this year, and I think Lester's lack of pace will be a concern also.
Seeing the young kids dominate for Sydney makes me think we could do better than Lester and Birchal. They are solid citizens, but we might do better with younger players who are faster, get a bit of energy into the team

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seeing the young kids dominate for Sydney makes me think we could do better than Lester and Birchal. They are solid citizens, but we might do better with younger players who are faster, get a bit of energy into the team
Gulden and Campbell were very highly rated kids, both who were considered to have elite skills, particularly kicking.

Though small, they both had very strong contested sides to their games, were good two way runners, and strongly built for their size.

It’s their overall package that made both players influential and impactful.

I’m not sure any of our young defenders possess the same over all package that Sydney’s kids do.

Prior has the kick and speed, but I don’t know if he has developed the defensive side to his game, or body shape yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Interesting comment in the Mike Whiting Twitter feed, about Answerth’s suspension.

Apparently there was a lot of heat in the reserves v Aspley scratch match. Much physical than a practice game needed to be.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting comment in the Mike Whiting Twitter feed, about Answerth’s suspension.

Apparently there was a lot of heat in the reserves v Aspley scratch match. Much physical than a practice game needed to be.
I missed that, but probably a good thing for our players to get a really competitive match in

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
COVID cash flow issues aside, the Lions should have a plan to take the VFL more seriously as having a competitive team will enhance our player's development and the club's marketability (and fan happiness) in Victoria.
The league as a whole has to take a hit - financial cutbacks will hit 2nd tier footy possibly worse than any other IMO - old mate that was gee good $ to be an assistant / part time skills coach has been made redundant and that’s happened across the board, you’ll see lots of youth but not much experience

The league as a whole has to take a hit - financial cutbacks will hit 2nd tier footy possibly worse than any other IMO - old mate that was gee good $ to be an assistant / part time skills coach has been made redundant and that’s happened across the board, you’ll see lots of youth but not much experience

On a completely unrelated note, welcome back.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I want to know who Answerth whacked.

On a separate note, has Eagles shaved off his dreds?

Swear I saw him running laps at Murrarrie yesterday mid morning. Unit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back