2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

So realistically, how long would it take a developing and very young ruck like Henry Smith to be ready for AFL. If he is currently 18, surely not before 22?

Archie's had 8 years. Repeat- 8.

On last night's display he was seriously overweight, has the same old hands of steel, lacks football nouse. Can't mark for nuts.

Archie's had 8 years. Repeat- 8.

On last night's display he was seriously overweight, has the same old hands of steel, lacks football nouse. Can't mark for nuts.
Good on him for getting 8 years on an AFL list but gee that is one hell of a run to give it a fair dinkum crack, I don't think Tom Fullarton or Henry Smith will get that long to prove their worth or many other players for that matter.

Tom Hickey has played 109 games and played some good footy before this season, Archie has played 16 and had a few good glimpses.
True but unlike Archie, Hickey had some runs on the board. Archie has done nothing at senior level to date

The point is 'journeymen rucks' are very common and rucks can be in the system a long time and still not be best 22. Hickey probably had more luck with injuries while Archie has rarely had a good run at it and been stuff behind a couple of very durable rucks.

Not saying he's great but good enough as a backup.

Interestingly, when Zorks interviewed Cam Rayner at half time about how he's going with his rehab, he said 'all tracking well, and hoping I'll be good to return for the end of the season'.

That would be a six month ACL recovery, which (outside of LARS) is unheard of. I'm assuming that's just hopeful thinking and perhaps a narrative he is telling himself so as not to get too down at the moment, but thought it was worth noting at any rate.

Interestingly, when Zorks interviewed Cam Rayner at half time about how he's going with his rehab, he said 'all tracking well, and hoping I'll be good to return for the end of the season'.

That would be a six month ACL recovery, which (outside of LARS) is unheard of. I'm assuming that's just hopeful thinking and perhaps a narrative he is telling himself so as not to get too down at the moment, but thought it was worth noting at any rate.
He is a very positive man Cam, although all the talk from the club and injury list and such, is that he is out for the season as you would expect.
The good part is that he is attacking his rehab hard which is a great sign that when he is back he should be ready to go.

Rance said he could've played the GF in 2019 after doing his ACL in round 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greg Healy, Tony Libba, Fridge Roberts in all made returns from recos within the same season pre-LARS. Steven Clark may have been another. Dunstall did an ACL in the '96 finals and was back for round one in 1997.

Rance said he could've played the GF in 2019 after doing his ACL in round 1
Greg Healy, Tony Libba, Fridge Roberts in all made returns from ACLs within the same season pre-LARS. Steven Clark may have been another.
Yes, how long has the narrative been that ACL recoveries take 1 year before you can play, you would think with all the advancements in medical procedures and rehabilitation protocols over the years it would be viable to return in less time more regularly.

Probably not a case of can they play within 6 months and more should they play within 6 months
I did my ACL about 28yrs ago and at the time they were telling me that I had to have 6 months off work after a reco being a Builder.
So I decide not to do it.
I have lived the 28yrs since without an ACL.
Maybe not a great idea in hindsight as I have a very unstable knee, but have been able to manage it by always being aware.
Personally, I would say it would be very doubtful he will make it back in time and I really don’t think the club would risk it anyway.

I heard that too, almost posted it but expected everyone to say we dont want to rush him back, too risky etc.

But it has to be a good thing as the idea of a remarkable return late this season will keep him positive and focussed on his rehab.

Whenever he returns it will be such a nervous watch, in my mind he can still become our next great mid!

As good as the idea sounds, you can't just rush a player back from an ACL injury. Even if by some miracle he was able to get up, he also wouldn't walk into our 22. He would need to play a few reserve games after such a prolonged period on the sidelines. The best case scenario is that we make the grand final and he manages to make himself available then. I think he even mentioned that his best hopes were returning if we made the finals.

Yes, how long has the narrative been that ACL recoveries take 1 year before you can play, you would think with all the advancements in medical procedures and rehabilitation protocols over the years it would be viable to return in less time more regularly.
I remember talking to an orthopod a few years ago about this very thing and he said it was all about risk-reward percentages that skewed badly to the possibility of a recurrence if an athlete returned too early...the risk plateaued at around 11-12 months. Don't quote me on this recollection but I guess the data would be well-known within the AFL industry.

Different sports need to be treated differently but in League, players regularly return much earlier than 12 months. Without looking at it too closely, 9-10 months seems about the average there.

Still, I think Rayner meant that he’ll be right to go by the end of the footy year - ie to have a full preseason.

About to watch the replay now. Saw the start last night but had to leave for school after we kicked the first two goals.

Have read everyone's comments, thanks for posting, can't wait to see the game. Looking forward to watching Joyce & particularly Reville. I remember seeing him in our game against the Bombers early in the year & he caught my eye.

Will have the Saints Cats game on another screen with no sound ;) Priorities right?

Very impressed with Carter Michael. Really efficient user.
absolutely, carter looks almost ready. So does Bruce Reville...... can we just sign him???? Young Berry looks ready, Tom Joyce looks totally ready.......Ballenden just needs a bit more time at CHB. Henry looks super promising........McFadyen is totally ready.

However, CEY isn't up to it. Ely Smith is in the same boat.....as is Fullarton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back