M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
For those who watch the VFL closely, is Matthew Hammelmann a chance to get picked up as a Rookie by any of the AFL clubs?
I don't watch the VFL all that closely but I can't see why a club wouldn't take a chance on Hammer, still only 25 years of age, a lot of KPP don't even hit their peak until then, still 5-6 years of footy left in him although I would be surprised if it happened.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't watch the VFL all that closely but I can't see why a club wouldn't take a chance on Hammer, still only 25 years of age, a lot of KPP don't even hit their peak until then, still 5-6 years of footy left in him although I would be surprised if it happened.

Must be something putting recruiters off. The Saints recruited Sharman who was an average SANFL reserves player

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder if the lack of mature age key forward recruits has to do with the strength of recent drafts.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I think that the intent all along was to have the local Qld clubs to drop out. The AFL just couldn’t be seen to be forcing them out.

If this makes the QAFL even stronger, then that’s a great outcome for local footy. I think there’s more local talent than ever before. The big challenge up here with local footy is ensuring the talent doesn’t all go to the strongest few clubs. Some sort of financial equalisation strategy might be required.
You mean like a salary cap and a player points cap?

Sorry, at community level I’m a firm believer in clubs standing on their own two feet. That way clubs find their level.
Clubs went broke trying to keep pace with Southport in the 80s and 90s. It was terrible for local football. The north side of Brisbane, for example, went from multiple senior clubs to none, at one point. There was certainly poor management involved for some but the root cause was just trying to be competitive. If every club found its level in those years, we’d have had a senior league with only 1 club.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Clubs went broke trying to keep pace with Southport in the 80s and 90s. It was terrible for local football. The north side of Brisbane, for example, went from multiple senior clubs to none, at one point. There was certainly poor management involved for some but the root cause was just trying to be competitive. If every club found its level in those years, we’d have had a senior league with only 1 club.
With a salary cap, and a player points system, there’s only so much any club can spend on their list today.

With Southport likely staying in the VFL, they won’t have any impact on the QAFL any time soon anyway.

The ability, or inability, of Brisbane based clubs to attract interstate talent at QAFL level has been discussed multiple times. Again, salary cap doesn’t appear to be the Brisbane clubs stumbling point.

If you read the QAFL discussions, I’d say the Lions academy has a greater negative impact on QAFL clubs than clubs ability to attract talent.

So, I don’t see the need to subsidise clubs at QAFL level. There’s community sports grants schemes for facilities and infrastructure. You would hope every club gets their turn at such funding, rather than one club benefiting multiple times.

And reading the QAFL discussion today, there seems to be a belief that there’s currently too many teams already in the QAFL, with Aspley dropping back from next season.

I don’t know the answer here, but I don’t believe financially propping up poorer clubs is the answer.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
With a salary cap, and a player points system, there’s only so much any club can spend on their list today.

With Southport likely staying in the VFL, they won’t have any impact on the QAFL any time soon anyway.

The ability, or inability, of Brisbane based clubs to attract interstate talent at QAFL level has been discussed multiple times. Again, salary cap doesn’t appear to be the Brisbane clubs stumbling point.

If you read the QAFL discussions, I’d say the Lions academy has a greater negative impact on QAFL clubs than clubs ability to attract talent.

So, I don’t see the need to subsidise clubs at QAFL level. There’s community sports grants schemes for facilities and infrastructure. You would hope every club gets their turn at such funding, rather than one club benefiting multiple times.

And reading the QAFL discussion today, there seems to be a belief that there’s currently too many teams already in the QAFL, with Aspley dropping back from next season.

I don’t know the answer here, but I don’t believe financially propping up poorer clubs is the answer.

Moral of the story is that the AFL have no idea when it comes to 2nd tier footy. Negative I know, but its has fiddled around with the VFL for 30 years & it is a problem they created & cant or wont fix.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moral of the story is that the AFL have no idea when it comes to 2nd tier footy. Negative I know, but its has fiddled around with the VFL for 30 years & it is a problem they created & cant or wont fix.
The AFL was created to ensure the survival of the “big” Victorian teams. Anything else is of secondary or lesser concern to them.

The AFL was created to ensure the survival of the “big” Victorian teams. Anything else is of secondary or lesser concern to them.
There is an much effort at the AFL put into suspending Geelong players as running the VFL.

Hopefully, we can now have a Brisbane team where players who have the objective of getting drafted join the Lions. Wouldn't be against playing some games at Aspley, while Springfield is under construction.

From this article:
The finals will retain the top eight clubs but in an elimination format should they be able to start on the weekend of September 4, with minor premier Footscray to meet GWS (eighth), Southport (second) to play Collingwood (seventh), Box Hill Hawks (third) up against Williamstown (sixth) and Geelong (fourth) facing Casey Demons (fifth) in sudden-death showdowns.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Scratch match report v Southport Sharks.
https://www.lions.com.au/news/1011693/vfl-reinforcements-readied

With Fagan watching on from a distance, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Tom Joyce, Tom Berry and Deven Robertson all starred against a mature and hardened Southport side in one of the Lions’ strongest VFL performances to date.

Joyce led from the front, gathering 25 touches and a goal in the 15-point loss to the Sharks.

Ellis-Yolmen and Berry also got their fair share of the ball through the midfield, both putting away 23 touches and a goal each to see the Lions within striking distance of the Sharks for much of the match.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Joyce led from the front, gathering 25 touches and a goal in the 15-point loss to the Sharks.
That's what we want to see. I think Joyce has shown enough that if it comes down to a decision between him or Matho to stay, Joyce will be the one we keep. I know Matho did well at VFL level too, but he's three years older and hasn't looked convincing at AFL level, so I'm not sure he ever will.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Scratch match report v Southport Sharks.
https://www.lions.com.au/news/1011693/vfl-reinforcements-readied

With Fagan watching on from a distance, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Tom Joyce, Tom Berry and Deven Robertson all starred against a mature and hardened Southport side in one of the Lions’ strongest VFL performances to date.

Ellis-Yolmen and Berry also got their fair share of the ball through the midfield, both putting away 23 touches and a goal each to see the Lions within striking distance of the Sharks for much of the match.
Good to see that as we start to have players available the reserves can put together a decent performance.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was nearly going to say that as well, I knew someone would step forward, I may explode if CEY get selected at all but I could suffer a massive brain aneurysm if he's selected as a forward.
Below a bit from a post i made on Sunday
Depends if the coaches think he is fit enough.
He could play that role for 1 week in my opinion
"However some that did not play may be a chance. Lester & Payne. Not ideal but both will give a contest
My next player will have everyone screaming. CEY if coaches feel he is fit enough and can fill a role for possibly 1 week
Our cupboard is bare for this position"

Greg Swann mentioned today on the Roar Deal that Wylie Buzza will likely be coming on board as a VFL top up for next year.
And also talking to a few others.

Back