2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

I think reserves not been great to look at a few players.
If you are not the one getting the ball yourself like Joyce, Matho, Tom Berry etc
my thoughts we where at times like a junior side playing seniors.
Makes it hard when so many young top ups.. Structure fell.
So those playing forward did not have great service or any at times. Fullarton, H Smith and Lane young talls as well.
Those playing back where under pressure all game.

You see signs with McFayden.. Glimpses.. who knows. The club giving him one more year.
I saw signs with Ballenden and Skinner as well. Skinner got another chance now
Reserves has really suffered the last two years with COVID and in 2019 Lions winning almost every game by over 10 goals (including GF), so development of the young guys has been inhibited, but it seems to me you don't want to be named Lions VFL (or former NEAFL) player of the year, as it often leads to a delisting

Reserves has really suffered the last two years with COVID and in 2019 Lions winning almost every game by over 10 goals (including GF), so development of the young guys has been inhibited, but it seems to me you don't want to be named Lions VFL (or former NEAFL) player of the year, as it often leads to a delisting
Id say being Reserves player of the year means you are generally a little bit older and experienced to the best player most of the time and playing almost the entirety of the year in the reserves. ie not getting a game in the 1sts. So its generally players who are seen as not quite good enough for AFL level. So if CEY won the reserves player of the year, he probably would end up being delisted. But say if a Henry Smith won, I dont think he would be facing a delisting

Id say being Reserves player of the year means you are generally a little bit older and experienced to the best player most of the time and playing almost the entirety of the year in the reserves. ie not getting a game in the 1sts. So its generally players who are seen as not quite good enough for AFL level. So if CEY won the reserves player of the year, he probably would end up being delisted. But say if a Henry Smith won, I dont think he would be facing a delisting
I think Ben Keys and Ballenden in the last couple of years have been Lions NEAFL and VFL players of the year, and yes could see CEY taking it out in 2022 and then a likely delisting at the end of 2022

I think Ben Keys and Ballenden in the last couple of years have been Lions NEAFL and VFL players of the year, and yes could see CEY taking it out in 2022 and then a likely delisting at the end of 2022
CEY would need to stay on the park to stand any chance of that.

My pick for a big breakout season is Tom Berry, with the club selecting Lohman hopefully that means Tom is looking at a predominately midfield role next season. Still believe he's got quite a large ceiling if he were to hit it with his athleticism and contested side of his game, he also looks to have really improved his ball use last season. Probably still fits as a pressure forward with maybe some spot minutes in the midfield at AFL level but I can see him really pushing for that Cockatoo spot from last season.

CEY would need to stay on the park to stand any chance of that.
Yes agree.
My post was probably more along the lines that I don't think CEY will get too many AFL games, so if he stays fit, plays VFL and looks good, gets named one of the Lions better VFL players for 2022 and then likely to be delisted.

My pick for a big breakout season is Tom Berry, with the club selecting Lohman hopefully that means Tom is looking at a predominately midfield role next season. Still believe he's got quite a large ceiling if he were to hit it with his athleticism and contested side of his game, he also looks to have really improved his ball use last season. Probably still fits as a pressure forward with maybe some spot minutes in the midfield at AFL level but I can see him really pushing for that Cockatoo spot from last season.
he is very competitive and must be close, as he seemed to be 23rd player a number of times this year

Are all the ex-Lions & AFL players that played at Aspley in 21 staying put and playing local QFL footy or moving interstate or looking to stay in QLD and play VFL? you'd think we mite be able to jag one or two for our VFL team if they are staying put.

The Lions have tried a number of players in the Cockatoo role over the past few years Berry and Coleman included. The problem that they both had is that they did not have scoreboard impact but were excellent in their pressure acts. Basically whoever plays in this role needs to kick goals as well, it’s a fine line between playing as a defensive forward and kicking goals.

I would not mind trying Tom Berry on a wing has great burst speed.
Just needs to work on disposal and taking a quick option. Seen him run down a few times as took a extra second.

I doubt they are fighting for the same role, but even so a fit Cockatoo is way ahead of Tom, even assuming the latter shows improvement this year. I actually think Cockatoo could be one of our big improvers, if he can get a run of games.

I doubt they are fighting for the same role, but even so a fit Cockatoo is way ahead of Tom, even assuming the latter shows improvement this year. I actually think Cockatoo could be one of our big improvers, if he can get a run of games.
I think they're both pushing for a half-forward role, doubt either are making a push into the best 22 midfield. You're probably right in that a fit Cockatoo is probably ahead of a few people, if he can contribute for full games he could be a real game changer. Cockatoo, Rayner and Bailey is an incredible half-forward line with some midfield minutes and that's not even mentioning our key forwards, Charlie or Linc. I genuinely don't see a better forward 6-7 in the comp.

The most likely for a permanent senior spot who wasn't last year is Darcy Fort, other than that I can't see much else changing other than Rayner being an almost certainty to come back in and possibly Answerth... Robertson and Prior both with 16 games last season are almost permanent now.

With suggestions that Hippy could be back as early as round 5 there will then need to be a decision made as to who goes out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most likely for a permanent senior spot who wasn't last year is Darcy Fort, other than that I can't see much else changing other than Rayner being an almost certainty to come back in and possibly Answerth... Robertson and Prior both with 16 games last season are almost permanent now.

With suggestions that Hippy could be back as early as round 5 there will then need to be a decision made as to who goes out.
I'm not sure there's enough spots in the team for both Robertson and Prior to be permanent best 22 players in a fully fit squad. I'd like Prior to start the season in our defence but would have him 50/50 with a couple others. Robertson is in a really tough position with the depth of mids/HFF we have, probably isn't a spot for another pure mid with both Lyons and Neale, then there's a lot of guys to rotate through there as well.

Lions & Suns need to seriously sit down with Southport and work this out. The VFL is going backwards and rapidly. Players don't want the travel so leaving for metro/country leagues and getting more money too.

Go back into QAFL, but get Suns & Lions to heko subsidise other teams to build up the standard. The VFL expirement is never going to work

I agree, in Fagan's terms I look at Tom and think what is his 'weapons' what is his point of difference from those above him. I'd go with his tenacity, he seems to love to tackle and contest. We have a midfield above him that is not a good defensive midfield, no one has high tackling counts per game. I think this is where he can find a space, at least in more games in the top level where we need, not necessarily a tagger, but a more defensive midfielder agains certain teams.

Toby Triffet, Breville, Charlie Bowes, Tahj Abberley, Harry Arnold, Nathan Colenso, Will Fletcher, Jackson Hille & Riley Green

edit: add the players who were below the fold

Last edited:
Toby Triffet, Breville, Charlie Bowes, Tahj Abberley, Harry Arnold & Nathan Colenso

Almost seems like too many, although I imagine there is a plan for them to play in the QAFL if we have a fairly fit list.

Are there any talls in that group? I might go have a check on the names I'm not familiar with.

Edit: Harry Arnold 194cm Forward/ Defender

Last edited:
Almost seems like too many, although I imagine there is a plan for them to play in the QAFL if we have a fairly fit list.

Are there any talls in that group? I might go have a check on the names I'm not familiar with.

Edit: Harry Arnold 194cm Forward/ Defender
If you scroll down, there are 3 more names. Will Fletcher, Jackson Hille and Riley Green.

Yeah those three are mid sized players as far as I can tell as well. Still with Buzza and Harry Arnold we should have some nice cover in the VFL in Key position areas.
Green plays as a tall defender, I believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back