VFL 2021 VFL Season, (Player Review Post #230)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture day, but not quite. Only the first two rounds have been released.

For us:

R1 Sat 17th April 2.30pm (live stream) ~ Werribee vs Collingwood, Avalon Airport Oval
(AFL - WC in Perth the day before)

R2 Sat 24th April 2.00pm (7plus) ~ Collingwood vs Essendon, Victoria Park (AFL - Ess in Melb the day after)

R3 Fri 30 April 4pm (live stream) ~ Collingwood vs Gold Coast, Olympic Park (AFL - GC at MCG the day after)

R4 Sat 8 May, 12.05pm (7plus) ~ Collingwood vs Coburg, Victoria Park (AFL double header - NM at Marvel 4.35pm)

Venue/date/time TBC:

R5 Weekend 15/16 May ~ Sydney vs Collingwood (AFL - Syd at SCG)
R6 Weekend 22/23 May ~ BYE (AFL - PA at MCG)
R7 Weekend 29/30 May ~ Collingwood vs Geelong (AFL - Geel at MCG)
R8 Weekend 5/6 June ~ Northern Bullants vs Collingwood (AFL - Ade at AO)
R9 Weekend 12/13 June ~ Casey Demons vs Collingwood (AFL - Melb at MCG)
R10 Weekend 19/20 June ~ BYE (AFL - BYE)
R11 Weekend 26/27 June ~ Collingwood vs Frankston (AFL - Freo at Marvel)
R12 Weekend 3/4 July ~ Collingwood vs Sandringham (AFL - StK at MCG)
R13 Weekend 10/11 July ~ Richmond vs Collingwood (AFL - Rich at MCG)
R14 Weekend 17/18 July ~ Collingwood vs Carlton (AFL - Carl at MCG)
R15 Weekend 24/25 July ~ BYE (AFL - Port at AO)
R16 Weekend 31 July/1 August ~ Port Melbourne vs Collingwood (AFL - WC at MCG)
R17 Weekend 7/8 August ~ Box Hill vs Collingwood (AFL - Haw at MCG)
R18 Weekend 14/15 August ~ Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions (AFL - BL at Marvel) EDIT: will this game be moved north???
R19 Weekend 21/22 August ~ Essendon vs Collingwood (AFL - Ess at MCG)

No games against - Aspley, Footscray, GWS, North Melbourne, Southport, Williamstown
Return game against - Essendon

Last edited:
Other aspects, apparently we should have matchups for the remaining rounds, but I can't find them anywhere:

- Over 80% alignment with AFL fixture with all Victorian based VFL/AFL clubs to travel with their AFL club for interstate matches
- All clubs have three byes
- Match ups released for Rounds three to 19. Dates, times and venues to be announced shortly
This year's fixture closely aligns with AFL programs given the VFL involvement of AFL-listed players from 14 AFL clubs and the shared resources across all 14 AFL clubs.

Rounds three to 19 dates, times and venues will be announced following the release of additional rounds of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season fixture.

While I get the cost savings of sending the VFL interstate at the same time as the AFL club travels, personally I used to like attending VFL in Melbourne on the weekend I couldn't get to the AFL match.

For us though, therefore we can predict:
R3 vs Gold Coast in Melbourne
R5 vs Sydney in Sydney
R18 vs Brisbane in Melbourne

Also, while it's been known that the AFL now runs the VFL I don't like phrases such as "the AFL released..." and use of the AFL website for these releases. I preferred the illusion of independence and getting the news on the comps separate and fear we'll further lose what little information is available for the VFL.

Last edited:

Three byes in a 19 rd season
And 22 clubs. Certainly seems to be quite a bastardised cost cutting measure.

EDIT: It's even more ridiculous; we have a return game vs Essendon!

Last edited:
fixture.jpeg

I saw Frankston playing their home games at 'Skybus Stadium', thought for a minute that they'd built and moved into something grander. Turns out it's just the Frankston Oval, rebranded.

Looking forward to the VFL season, not least because a lot of Collingwood's future will be spending most of their time there this year.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
VFL be better to watch in 2021 then the Seniors

I wouldn’t hold your breath. Won’t be anywhere near VFL finals I reckon.

I’ll just watch it to see some of the individual performances from McRae, Henry, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, Rantall, Bianco, Keane, Wilson etc

See first hand what the future looks like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

I’ll just watch it to see some of the individual performances from McRae, Henry, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, Rantall, Bianco, Keane, Wilson etc

There was a lot of similar sentiment expressed about our AFLW team this season and I think our VFL team could also surprise. Just don’t know what we’ll get from the large cohort you’ve highlighted who have had limited or zero exposure at the level.

You just said why I think it be better. Watch the Future and not the Crap AFL Side with VFL Players in the Team

Who plays who. Let me know if you find any mistakes. Currently I haven't heard if our R18 Vic Park match against Brisbane will also be switched to Qld; with an aligned fixture you'd expect that will occur though.

There's some return and even a triple return match. Talk about a bastardised fixture!

Play twice:
Aspley - Brisbane, Gold Coast, Southport
Brisbane - Aspley, Gold Coast, Southport
Collingwood - Essendon
Essendon - Collingwood
Footscray - Gold Coast
Gold Coast - Footscray, Brisbane, Footscray, Southport (yes, 4 return games in a fixture where they play 16 matches)
Port Melbourne - Williamstown
Southport - Aspley, Brisbane, Gold Coast

Play 3 times:
GWS - Sydney
Sydney - GWS

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 6.38.51 PM.png

Last edited:
To me that's insane and I live up here.

Aspley blah is that a joke?

Southport possibly the richest club on the Gold Coast if not Qld.

Rename the comp.

Bring back the Reserves and the True VFA

We don't play any of the State League Sides in other States this Season

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Play twice:
Aspley - Brisbane, Gold Coast, Southport
Brisbane - Aspley, Gold Coast, Southport
Collingwood - Essendon
Essendon - Collingwood
Footscray - Gold Coast
Gold Coast - Footscray, Brisbane, Aspley, Southport (yes, 4 return games in a fixture where they play 16 matches)
Port Melbourne - Williamstown
Southport - Aspley, Brisbane, Gold Coast

Play 3 times:
GWS - Sydney
Sydney - GWS
Obviously this has been done to reduce travel costs.

Was 1 of the Main Things the State Teams Complained About as they won't have enough money too Travel so many Times

Yep. Have to wonder if conferences would have been a better way to go though albeit 22 teams posses some challenges. Sides may not always travel with their AFL club either, but more local games would offset that.

Off the top of my head, keeping it to 16 games:

Conference 1) 6 northern clubs
Conference 2) 6 standalone VFA clubs
Conference 3) 5 AFL or AFL aligned VFL clubs
Conference 4) 5 AFL or AFL aligned VFL clubs

10 matches - Play each team within your conference twice, plus two other games to balance out two of the conferences having 6 sides.
6 matches - Play two teams from each of the other conferences

Currently the fixture sees clubs play between 12 and 15 other clubs. This conference structure would bring better consistency with sides playing either 10 or 11 other clubs.

Last edited:
Back