VFL 2021 VFL list changes & discussion

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
A point that is a tenuous link at best.

Our young VFL side isn’t necessarily going to have the required match fitness before the season has even started. In fact I don’t expect them to win a lot of games at all.

You talk like the pies vfl team is the only one to have youth in it?

ALL afl teams' seconds has a fair amount of youth in it.

My standouts: Ollie (1 goal, 4-5 contested marks in the air), Reef, Macrae, Wilson, Cameron. Kelly could have had 3 goals but ended with 1, after a few misses in the first quarter. Ruscoe had 2 goals, could have had 3.

Rantall competed strongly in the contest. Mccreery strong in his forward pressure ended with 1, should have had 2 goals.

Keane battled well down back. Murphy didn't play after half time, unsure what happened to him.
Lynch strong in the ruck.
Greenwood in the middle with his bigger body guiding the youth through there.

Poulter was good down back and through the wing. McMahon having a presence up forward but struggled to put any on the scoreboard.
Chugg with his pace down back, competed strongly against some experience in the richmond forward line.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
You talk like the pies vfl team is the only one to have youth in it?

ALL afl teams' seconds has a fair amount of youth in it.

I’d hazard a guess we have more than the usual (at least from the AFL list, no idea about non listed topup players) given the events of last year where ten senior players left and were replaced by eight first year players and two unfilled list spots.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’d hazard a guess we have more than the usual (at least from the AFL list, no idea about non listed topup players) given the events of last year where ten senior players left and were replaced by eight first year players and two unfilled list spots.

Yes we would but the AFL team also have poor second halves and often revert to slow footy after half time probably due to fatigue.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes we would but the AFL team also have poor second halves and often revert to slow footy after half time probably due to fatigue.

We’ve had one poor second half of the three games we have played so far. We lost against the Dogs in the first quarter when they kicked the first three goals and we lost by 17 points.

I’ll wait to see a more substantial sample set before claiming that fitness is an issue

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
We’ve had one poor second half of the three games we have played so far. We lost against the Dogs in the first quarter when they kicked the first three goals and we lost by 17 points.

I’ll wait to see a more substantial sample set before claiming that fitness is an issue

We dropped off in the 2nd half vs Carlton (Carlton just didn't put it on the board) and Lions.

We also fell away in 2nd halves in many 2020 games.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
We dropped off in the 2nd half vs Carlton (Carlton just didn't put it on the board) and Lions.

We also fell away in 2nd halves in many 2020 games.

We outplayed Carlton for three and a half quarters. They had a small window where they kicked a few on the trot.

As for 2020, that was a forgettable season for many reasons. In 2021 the rules have changed, the quarters are longer, the list has changed, and players aren’t trying to cope with hub life.

Way too early based off a one point loss after the siren to a quality opponent that fitness is an issue.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
My standouts: Ollie (1 goal, 4-5 contested marks in the air), Reef, Macrae, Wilson, Cameron. Kelly could have had 3 goals but ended with 1, after a few misses in the first quarter. Ruscoe had 2 goals, could have had 3.

Rantall competed strongly in the contest. Mccreery strong in his forward pressure ended with 1, should have had 2 goals.

Keane battled well down back. Murphy didn't play after half time, unsure what happened to him.

Poulter was good down back and through the wing. McMahon having a presence up forward but struggled to put any on the scoreboard.
Chugg with his pace down back, competed strongly against some experience in the richmond forward line.
Hi Jen,
Thanks for your efforts the past couple of years...
A quick question regarding McCreery, how was his fitness did he chase an tackle all game. Did you notice his efforts throughout the match?

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Huh it it was 5.4 Carl vs 5.5 Collingwood after ht.

I'm saying they if my memory seves me well, had more of the play in that 2nd half but didn't convert it to scores.

If you can’t back up your arguments with facts..... back them up with subjective opinions!!!!

There is no objective evidence that Collingwood failed to run out the game in rounds 1 and 2.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you can’t back up your arguments with facts..... back them up with subjective opinions!!!!

There is no objective evidence that Collingwood failed to run out the game in rounds 1 and 2.

How is it subjective... if a team falls away in the 2nd half but capitalises on lesser opportunities vs a team who has the run of play but doesn't you can still see a drop off.

Unreal.

Also why do we go into a less aggressive mode in 2nd halfs and look to play momentum sapping style often allowing opponents in?

Couldn't be to conserve energy?

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
How is it subjective... if a team falls away in the 2nd half but capitalises on lesser opportunities vs a team who has the run of play but doesn't you can still see a drop off.

Unreal.

Also why do we go into a less aggressive mode in 2nd halfs and look to play momentum sapping style often allowing opponents in?

Couldn't be to conserve energy?

You are just making up stories that we faded against Carlton

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
You are just making up stories that we faded against Carlton

11.5 first half vs 5.5 in 2nd half and you don't think we dropped off or changed modes of attack? but then had less entries and less scoring shots...

6 goals, 4 goals, 2 goals and 3 goals. Qtr by qtr.

We go into shut down mode in 2nd halfs let's see if it continues.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
11.5 first half vs 5.5 in 2nd half and you don't think we dropped off or changed modes of attack? but then had less entries and less scoring shots...

When was the last time we had a game like the dogs yest? We never bury teams. Agree 100%. Lost count how many times we build a lead and lose it. anyways, thread derailed a bit!

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Thanks for the great insights, Jen.

So, from what you saw today and regularly at training, what changes would you make if in charge of selection for next weekend’s game v GWS?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

20 goals in a game is extremely rare so expecting another 10 in the second half if ridiculously optimistic

Carlton got on a roll briefly in the third quarter and kicked 5 goals to two. We went in at 3/4 time with a lead and comfortably won the last quarter to extend the margin at the end. We did not "fade in the second half"

Back