VFL 2021 VFL list changes & discussion

Aussie pie

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers
I’d like to join the chorus of people thanking Jen for her great work on reporting training and the VFL, what a legend. I’ve just started following her IG posts and it’s great to see. She does so much more the the Collingwood media department, they should be embarrassed by their efforts but that’s not unusual for them.

Sure as the sun sets the tigers were going to run us over. Begs the question if we have fitness issues. Inability to hold or build on leads
We have 8 draftees, 4 of whom didn’t play a game last year, and you’re wondering why we don’t have the same legs as Richmond? Seriously?

Well he is Injury Prone unlike Gault
Gault Reid hybrid. All the talent of Gault and the durability of Reid. We have a winner on our hands.

Fino

Senior List
Sep 26, 2006
Prahran
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
My standouts: Ollie (1 goal, 4-5 contested marks in the air), Reef, Macrae, Wilson, Cameron. Kelly could have had 3 goals but ended with 1, after a few misses in the first quarter. Ruscoe had 2 goals, could have had 3.

Rantall competed strongly in the contest. Mccreery strong in his forward pressure ended with 1, should have had 2 goals.

Keane battled well down back. Murphy didn't play after half time, unsure what happened to him.
Lynch strong in the ruck.
Greenwood in the middle with his bigger body guiding the youth through there.

Poulter was good down back and through the wing. McMahon having a presence up forward but struggled to put any on the scoreboard.
Chugg with his pace down back, competed strongly against some experience in the richmond forward line.

Thanks Jen. How many did Cameron kick?

Nov 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
11.5 first half vs 5.5 in 2nd half and you don't think we dropped off or changed modes of attack? but then had less entries and less scoring shots...

6 goals, 4 goals, 2 goals and 3 goals. Qtr by qtr.

We go into shut down mode in 2nd halfs let's see if it continues.
I noticed that as well ,its like we get a decent lead then look to defending instead of attacking .

I noticed that as well ,its like we get a decent lead then look to defending instead of attacking .
We lost a couple of our best runners. I just don't think we have the legs. I'm hoping Rantall comes on quickly.

But we also do tend to get defensive in the end of close games and just start going down the line.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
My standouts: Ollie (1 goal, 4-5 contested marks in the air), Reef, Macrae, Wilson, Cameron. Kelly could have had 3 goals but ended with 1, after a few misses in the first quarter. Ruscoe had 2 goals, could have had 3.

Rantall competed strongly in the contest. Mccreery strong in his forward pressure ended with 1, should have had 2 goals.

Keane battled well down back. Murphy didn't play after half time, unsure what happened to him.
Lynch strong in the ruck.
Greenwood in the middle with his bigger body guiding the youth through there.

Poulter was good down back and through the wing. McMahon having a presence up forward but struggled to put any on the scoreboard.
Chugg with his pace down back, competed strongly against some experience in the richmond forward line.

Thanks Jen, love these reports, and greatly appreciate them

Hi Jen,
Thanks for your efforts the past couple of years...
A quick question regarding McCreery, how was his fitness did he chase an tackle all game. Did you notice his efforts throughout the match?
McCreery - Had great pressure, tackled fiercely. I think his fitness is fine.

Quarter 1
The Pies were on top early, however couldn’t make the most of their chances, kicking 6 behinds before VFL listed player Callum Wellings slot a set shot.

Ollie Henry’s athleticism was on show particularly early, taking a fantastic pack mark. Henry finished the day with a frustrating 1 goal and 2 behinds.

The 2020 draft cohort was out on show, with all 8 draftees playing together for the first time. A Collingwood debut for draftee Reef McInnes, the midfield combination of himself, Finlay Macrae and Caleb Poulter an insight into what the future might hold for Pies fans.

Quarter 2
The pressure around the footy increased significantly with the start of the second quarter. Richmond hit the scoreboard early, getting out to a 9 point lead.

Max Lynch and Darcy Cameron shared the rucking duties for the day, and it was Lynch who got the Pies back within a goal when he kicked truely after a strong mark overhead.

The ruck combination battled valiantly all day. The strategy worked effectively with both Lynch and Cameron being equally as dangerous up forward as they were around the ground.

A dominant display through the middle of the ground allowed players such as Trey Ruscoe to find the ball up forward. Goals to Lynch, Cameron, Henry and Ruscoe led the Pies to a 14-point lead at half time.

Quarter 3
The Pies got the perfect start to the second half when Beau Mccreery snapped a goal, which was nicely assisted by Cameron. Despite not having the greatest impact on the game on Saturday, it’s the intangibles that make Beau so valuable to the Pies. His speed and ability to apply pressure is at an elite level.

The Tigers hit back strongly after that, kicking 2 goals in a row to bring the score back to just an 8 point deficit.

Will Kelly found a sneaky goal out the back on his return back from his collar bone injury. The dynamic forward found it a bit difficult to get in the game, but played his role alongside what shaped up to be a well balanced forward line.

Quarter 4
An electric start to the quarter from the Tigers put the home side in a great position to win the game. 3 goals without response made it tough for the Pies, but a classy set shot from Darcy Cameron kept the Tigers’ lead to just 3 points, 12 minutes into the final quarter.

Unfortunately, a young Collingwood side started to feel the effects of the heat and intensity of the game. Another 4 goals to finish the game from Richmond came as a result of the Pies just not being able to run out the game.

FT score: Tigers 14.12.96 Pies 9.14.68

Goals: Cameron 2, Ruscoe 2, Wellings, Lynch, Henry, Mccreery, Kelly
Best: Cameron, Macrae, Greenwood, Poulter, Wilson, Lynch

Back