VFL 2021 VFL R1 v Werribee (Sat 17-Apr 2.30pm @ Avalon Airport Oval) - [live stream links in OP] Pies hold on! 69-62

Remove this Banner Ad

He looked Gassed to me Dave. He, like a lot of his mates, was really good at the start of quarters but in Reef's case by the 15 minute mark of the quarters he was looking spent.
I had a different perspective to lots of the other posters here.

After watching the whole game I was really excited by lots of our draftees. McMahon was covering heaps of ground for little reward but with his few possessions he showed beautiful disposal and his mark and goal was pure class. He'll take time to get a tank but when he does....look out! He'll be very valuable.

Poulter showed bursts of absolute brilliance, often cutting back inside and delivering with his long left boot. He was one youngster who was really prepared (all day) to take the game on and he also showed some poise in the final minutes when he could have blazed a long kick forward (and handed the ball back to the Werribee defenders) but he instead sought a handball target outside and in so doing, maintained possession at a vital stage. He's no Bont, but he's a lot better than Zannotti and I really hope that Pendles gets in this young blokes head. Poulter is a gun!

Reef was good in patches but I figure he's behind the others in match fitness due to his injuries and he struggled to run out quarters (at one stage in the third quarter he struggled to run off the ground when he was being interchanged! No doubting his intent though and he had several great clearances.

Chugg was prominent throughout the game and was often tasked with delivering the ball out of defence. He has a lovely left foot not unlike Daniel Rich. I'm bullish about this young bloke and think he could settle quite snugly into the senior defence.

Kelly looked good down back and lets face it, thats where he's played most of his junior footy. He attacked the aerial contests and often backed his judgement by leaving his own player to kill another contest. If Moore is playing forward and Keane gets rubbed out (for the trip) then Kelly could slot into CHB pretty well.

Tyler Brown was good in tight but fumbled a bit when he was playing outside. Ruscoe had chances but couldn't capitalise (i'd like to see him play off half back) Murphy was very good in the first half. Ginniver is classy but under-utilised at the present time. Wilson...doesn't seem to get near it much? Tohill however had a couple of really big opponents including Buzza and he was able to spoil, outmark a couple of times and run off them much like Darcy Moore does! He's making strides this season, much like Keane did last year.

Now for the two aerobic beasts. Rantall seemed to be everywhere and as the game wore on he just got more and more involved. He runs, he contests, he tackles, he blocks and shares the ball much like Taylor Adams does. His kicking was no worse than anybody else's and he was able to get clearances from both ruck men.

Which leads to my final review. I've loved watching Max Lynch's home movies and his antics in general would endear him to most of his team mates. But for a while I've wondered if big Max was just there making up the numbers. He's sort've been the 3rd or 4th Rucking banana for years now and I'm not sure that his coaches have ever thought he might succeed. Well today he played like a BIG MAN. Up against Matthew Lobbe and Wylie Buzza (both ex AFL players) Max took on all comers and rucked for 90% of the game and won hands down! He marked around the ground, he palmed the ball well AND SMACKED IT FORWARD when he couldn't find a mid, his attitude was just aggressive right from the start. And his presence around the ground assisted our young mids and they did the rest.

So all in all, I loved today's game. We should have kicked a few more goals, but overall we were desperate, we were courageous and we deserved to win.

Didnt see the game (though may have to sneak it in on replay), thanks for the optimism in your review, it’s good to have a few positives come to mind when thinking of our club after the last few weeks!

I wouldn’t. Poulter was great today, but he was also run down several times with the ball. He needs time to find his feet and the pace of the game at VFL level before he plays seniors, which will be another step up in intensity.

He looks really slow with his hands, a few times he was about to get tackled and needed to shuffle out a quick handball but it just got stuck in his hands and went no where, and as you said also got caught with a ball a few times and couldn't handball the ball out quickly. Other than that looks a likely prospect, has decent pace and a nice step to open up angles, I like how positive he is, always tries to make a play and get the ball going forward fast.

Last edited:
He can need time, but also be disappointing.

Don't take it personally.

That says more about expectations being set way too high would be my guess. Kid missed a heap of the post Christmas preseason competitive work and already had question marks on him about his tank. Just happy to see the kid get through the game and blow some cobwebs out. Sounds like he did that so what’s to be disappointed about?

Didnt see the game (though may have to sneak it in on replay), thanks for the optimism in your review, it’s good to have a few positives come to mind when thinking of our club after the last few weeks!

Will there be a replay?

Cox was okay, should've kicked 3 but shanked a few shots, he looks down on confidence... Hope he gets a chance over Cameron next week.

If Rantall is in form then he must play next week.

WHE must stay at VFL level.

Rantall was very good today, probably our best, his chance must be coming.

Chugg looked very composed and competent down back

Poulter looks all class, most promising today I thought.

Murphy does some nice work, very courageous in the way he plays, looks desperate to make an impact on the contest and the season.

Lynch deserves a mention, a very good ruckman at this level.

Brown had a decent game without shining

Cox again counldn't hold marks, wasn't terrible but didn't dominate.

WHE doesn't do enough when the game is there to be won.

The other new kids showed a glimpse or two but they will all be better for the run.

Tohill looked good at times down back.

Wilson, just doesn't seem to be happening for him. Not sure he played the game out.

VFL listed player Callum Wellings got a stack of the footy, but pretty much every disposal was a turnover, or to a contest where we were at a disadvantage.

Rantall was very good today, probably our best, his chance must be coming.

Chugg looked very composed and competent down back

Poulter looks all class, most promising today I thought.

Murphy does some nice work, very courageous in the way he plays, looks desperate to make an impact on the contest and the season.

Lynch deserves a mention, a very good ruckman at this level.

Brown had a decent game without shining

Cox again counldn't hold marks, wasn't terrible but didn't dominate.

WHE doesn't do enough when the game is there to be won.

The other new kids showed a glimpse or two but they will all be better for the run.

Tohill looked good at times down back.

Wilson, just doesn't seem to be happening for him. Not sure he played the game out.

VFL listed player Callum Wellings got a stack of the footy, but pretty much every disposal was a turnover, or to a contest where we were at a disadvantage.
Would you give Rantall a debut on Sunday. Also, how did Henry go? Could he also come into the side for the Bummers?

Don't disagree at all, but I reckon he might come on pretty quickly, and he has played a bunch of SANFL games already. I don't think there's any hurry, but he looks a natural winger.
Pretty sure he only played juniors. Happy to be proven wrong, but I’m fairly positive he never played a senior SANFL game

Thanks for the reviews all, I didn't manage to see the game.

Poulter sounds very exciting, and great to see Rantall put up some big numbers.

Hopefully we see another debut this week for ANZAC Day

Bucks comments seemed to suggest Moore will get multiple games forward. Losing Keane for a week may change that thinking. If Cox is getting an Anzac call-up it’ll likely be at the expense of Cameron.
I think that is why Kelly played back.
Cox did nothing to earn a recall

Would you give Rantall a debut on Sunday. Also, how did Henry go? Could he also come into the side for the Bummers?
From what I saw in yesterday's vfl game, Rantall is a lock. In an under player that we need. May not quite be afl ready, but he looks next in line in that role, and play him and fast track him because we need him.
Murphy is also a lock (back flanker or wing) and a definite improvement on what we have at AFL level.
Was surprised by Tohil's performance. He appeared to play better than Kelly. May have just been a matter of match ups suiting Tohil more than Kelly. Kelly gave away a few free kicks, and just wasn't able to impose himself on the game. Tried hard, but doesn't look ready for mine. Based on that performance anyway. So although may appear like a shock selection, I wouldn't be surprised if Tohil debuts this week.

He looks really slow with his hands, a few times he was about to get tackled and needed to shuffle out a quick handball but it just got stuck in his hands and went no where, and as you said also got caught with a ball a few times and couldn't handball the ball out quickly. Other than that looks a likely prospect, has decent pace and a nice step to open up angles, I like how positive he is, always tries to make a play and get the ball going forward fast.
His draft highlights indicate he isn’t slow by hand so hopefully it is not an ongoing issue. Might be just getting use to a higher level.

Could also be lack of options with ball in hand and trying not to turn it over. It is not always the player with ball in hand that is at fault. Sometimes he has no option and is waiting for something to eventuate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly playing in defence. Might be time to re-assess your stance on whether the club is going to persist with him as a forward for the long term Scodog10

It was the logical move as soon as Moore played forward Friday night! Unfortunately he went about as well as Keane at senior level, but at least they did the right thing.

Gee whiz forgot about them

What a rabble

Hoskin Elliott

And lynch

Cupboard is bare my friend
The cupboard is stocked with young players working hard for their chance. Winning is now a secondary consideration. Player development is now the first priority.

Poulter absolutely miles off it.

caught holding the ball a couple of times and then a howler of a turnover.

Quote from media - who was watchin same game as me ..

The Pies led narrowly at each change and hung on to claim a 69-62 win in a highly contested clash against the Michael Barlow-coached Bees at Avalon Airport Oval.

Last year’s pick 30 Caleb Poulter drifted forward mid-way through the final term and booted what proved to be the match-winner. The left-footed South Australian impressed between the flanks, as did 2019 draftee Jay Rantall (25 disposals).

You should have gone to Specsavers.

Thanks to those who’ve posted their insights, I really appreciate it in a down year.

Glad to hear we’re playing Kelly down back again. I think it suits his skillset best, gives us a succession plan for Roughy and means we’re not reliant on Keane making the grade, plus speaks to how we’re seeing McMahon progressing up forward.

Terrific to hear Rantall is making his mark. We need his type, and maybe I gravitate toward the maniacal hard workers over the naturally gifted, but I’ve had a good feeling all along that he would get the most out of himself. Maybe I’m just sick of the Stepho and Jordy personalities.

Good to hear Murphy bounced back from injury #2,000,000 and Tyler looked ok too. And Poulter I’m keen to see more of, the reports are always very exciting.

Wilson, just doesn't seem to be happening for him.
I watched him specifically for a bit as he impressed me at training with work he must have done over last season and a half in the gym - football physique now rather than basketball

He’s not a natural backman - loses touch with his man, not sure when his man will run off, anticipation etc

IMO he needs to play up the ground further or maybe even trialled as a tall big-bodied mid

Rantall was amongst our best, but doesn’t have the tools to become a consistent AFL player. His ability to run all day should always see him shine in the VFL.

Poulter looked very good. Just needs time to build that tank. He’d get cooked really quickly at AFL level.

Chugg looked good.

Henry and McInnes both need time to develop tanks. They missed all footy last year. Both look good at least.

Murphy looked good in the 1st half.

Max Lynch did great against Lobbe who’s an ex-AFL ruckman not that old.

Was pleasantly surprised by Tohill. Something to work with there.

I thought Tyler was OK too.

Glad to hear we’re playing Kelly down back again. I think it suits his skillset best, gives us a succession plan for Roughy and means we’re not reliant on Keane making the grade, plus speaks to how we’re seeing McMahon progressing up forward.

Maybe you’re giving the club too much credit there. Perhaps moving Kelly back is merely a downstream consequence of the club finally realising that Moore should be played forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back