VFL 2021 VFL R2 v Essendon (Sat 24-Apr 2pm @ Victoria Park) - [live on 7plus ?, kayo, Casey radio]

Remove this Banner Ad

Always going to he hard with 10 AFL listed players, 5 of them being first year players. Some of the VFL listed players are pretty ordinary too.
Poulter looks damn good.

My thoughts:

Dib - pretty impressive game for his age

Poulter - looks ready for AFL, our best performed draftee over the past two weeks. Quick, clean, neat kick and knows how to find the footy

Henry - took some nice marks but needs more time

McMahon - similar to Henry

Chugg - thought he had a rough game today

Ginnivan - can win the ball but his ball use was a bit poor today, did a selwood infront of goal

McInnes - impressive game, pretty clean in wet conditions

Lynch - I thought the Bombers young ruckman out played him tbh

Tohill - had a solid game

Wilson - didn't really stand out, seems to win most of his ball uncontested

If Dib gets taken in the top 20 I'll be pretty pissed off. Either have the academy or get rid of it already. We are a rebuilding club now and need to take every advantage we can get, and to miss out on Dib while other clubs are swimming in advantages from their academies will be very annoying.

Otherwise today Poulter was fantastic. Despite being the skinniest bloke out there his willingness to work hard and crack in despite the conditions was very very impressive.

Last edited:
Given our weak vfl list and so many AFL players unavailable it really made a loss here inevitable
It was obvious from the warmup that Essendon were physically bigger than us. That extra size coupled with pressure meant we were pushed around and struggled to get clean footy especially inside the contest.

Six goal loss in the end. Out-gunned.

Poulter BOG for us by a mile. Gets to the right spots, finds the ball a lot and always drives it forward. He looks ready for Seniors. Would be way better on a wing than Mayne, Madgen, WHE or either Brown brother.

Ginnivan worked tirelessly and Dibb showed a lot of endeavour, tackling pressure and run.

Wilson looked OK at times in defence. Henry shows glimpses of Matthew Lloyd, albeit shorter in height. But he doesn’t get the ball enough to force promotion into Seniors yet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My thoughts:

Dib - pretty impressive game for his age

Poulter - looks ready for AFL, our best performed draftee over the past two weeks. Quick, clean, neat kick and knows how to find the footy

Henry - took some nice marks but needs more time

McMahon - similar to Henry

Chugg - thought he had a rough game today

Ginnivan - can win the ball but his ball use was a bit poor today, did a selwood infront of goal

McInnes - impressive game, pretty clean in wet conditions

Lynch - I thought the Bombers young ruckman out played him tbh

Tohill - had a solid game

Wilson - didn't really stand out, seems to win most of his ball uncontested

Agree Nahnah, thou Wilson did take a couple of contested marks which is encouraging,best game I have seen him play in a Collingwood jumper, think there maybe something to work with there, has some tools, athletic, clean hands , just needs to find a bit more of it

Poulter will play seniors very soon, the others, not this year.
I’m ok with that
- Ollie / Fin + Poulter great strike rate for getting a game this year in the 1s

Any chance of Chugg or Ginnivan if we need a speedy lock-down defender?

- I’m a big fan of McMahon, just waiting for him to develop physically. Love that sequence last week that ended w the Ollie goal where he lead all the way to nearly CHB to take the mark then swing the ball into attack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m ok with that
- Ollie / Fin + Poulter great strike rate for getting a game this year in the 1s

Any chance of Chugg or Ginnivan if we need a speedy lock-down defender?

- I’m a big fan of McMahon, just waiting for him to develop physically. Love that sequence last week that ended w the Ollie goal where he lead all the way to nearly CHB to take the mark then swing the ball into attack

Chugg and Ginnivan were just solid, probably gonna be 2022 prospects.

It wasn't the night for the lanky marking guys, McMahon looks a fair bit away physically, quite skinny and not as tall as you would think.

We really need to sort out our structures at VFL level because our terrible ball movement is really doing our marking forwards (Henry Cox McMahon) no favours what so ever. Poulter and Dib were the only two who actually tried to make something happen quickly when they got the ball, our VFL players look very meh.

Dib looking good, almost too good. Such a weird situation as a fan. Don't know what to think. Hope he does really well, but...not.
If Dib gets taken in the top 20 I'll be pretty pissed off. Either have the academy or get rid of it already. We are a rebuilding club now and need to take every advantage we can get, and to miss out on Dib while other clubs are swimming in advantages from their academies will be very annoying.

Otherwise today Poulter was fantastic. Despite being the skinniest bloke out there his willingness to work hard and crack in despite the conditions was very very impressive.
It’s a damn shame we only have partial dibs on him

After seeing the likes of Brown, Madgen and Mayne on the wings in the seniors, it'll be a real breath of fresh air so see someone with an offensive mindset and attacking kick in Poulter playing.

Love that as we need Good Ball Users that are Offensive with the Ball

Chugg and Ginnivan were just solid, probably gonna be 2022 prospects.

It wasn't the night for the lanky marking guys, McMahon looks a fair bit away physically, quite skinny and not as tall as you would think.

We really need to sort out our structures at VFL level because our terrible ball movement is really doing our marking forwards (Henry Cox McMahon) no favours what so ever. Poulter and Dib were the only two who actually tried to make something happen quickly when they got the ball, our VFL players look very meh.

I dont think our coaching group know how to fix it or they would of fixed the seniors years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back