VFL 2021 VFL R5 v Sydney (Sat 15-May 4.45pm @ SCG) - [kayo]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope you gave Eddie the same grace when he was doing commentary.

I think you miss the point . . .

Clarkson is touted one of the greatest . . . Yes?

Yet one of the greatest lost to North???

Buckley's lack of success is irrelevant.
So was Jock McHale, today he lost to North and if Bucks did that there would be a great many gnashing of teeth

It doesn't matter mate, as Lethal always said it's the cattle not the coach

Here's the math

2002/2003 (GF GF)
7 years
2010/2011 (GF GF)
7 years
2018/2019 (GF PF)
7 years
2026/2027

That's when the cattle is in place next, so go blow a fortune on a coach chasing the dragons tail but that's the timeline
Cattle is part of it but the coaching is third rate too

How many Premierships does Clarko have?
How many successful rebuilds does Clarko have?
How many Premierships does Bux have?
How many successful rebuilds does Bux have?
Within in those stats you will find the answer as to why Clarko is not lynched after a loss. Simply, players and club have faith in him. As do the supporters.
The Hawks were honest with players and supporters and came out last year and said they were commencing a rebuild and would be maximising their draft picks in 2020, 2021 and likely 2022 whilst getting games into youngsters to comraderie whilst phasing out the ageing players. They expect to see improvement from 2023 which will set them up for the next 10 years. With 4 Premierships/5GFs in 13 years and two rebuilds in 17 seasons the club is affording Clarkson leeway... Collingwood on the other hand...

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So was Jock McHale, today he lost to North and if Bucks did that there would be a great many gnashing of teeth
You missed the point AGAIN.

I doubt anyone is trying to defend Bucks here.

The poster mentioned that the demi-god lost to North.

Hence he is not a demi god.

THAT was the point.

The idea of replacing Buckley with Clarkson sounds great until you factor in the salary cap for staff. I'd prefer to rework getting value for money with money going into recruitment/development coaches. Bucks loves the club, he doesn't need money. Would he accept an offer of less money to coach? not to screw him over but to help him out get what we all want. Clarkson wont come for peanuts. If those internally think he is right and they can change things in terms of support I'd be tending to stick with Bucks.

You missed the point AGAIN.

I doubt anyone is trying to defend Bucks here.

The poster mentioned that the demi-god lost to North.

Hence he is not a demi god.

THAT was the point.
No the point is we are staring at 5 years of rebuilding, if you want to blame Buckley that's fine, it's naive but it's the way of the world. But Clarkson isn't it, how many 'great' coaches have to fail past their used by date before you go and get one of the well credentialed hungry young coaches? You're looking for a messiah and they don't exist in a rebuild, you get great coaches with great cattle. Go look up who won coach of the year in 2018, your own argument says he can't be any good so that only leaves the cattle

No the point is we are staring at 5 years of rebuilding, if you want to blame Buckley that's fine, it's naive but it's the way of the world. But Clarkson isn't it, how many 'great' coaches have to fail past their used by date before you go and get one of the well credentialed hungry young coaches? You're looking for a messiah and they don't exist in a rebuild, you get great coaches with great cattle. Go look up who won coach of the year in 2018, your own argument says he can't be any good so that only leaves the cattle
Malthouse was past his 'use by date' - you do remember the entire board - bar Eddie - wanted him gone after a decade without ultimate success??

Eddie stood up to the board and forced them into a compromise offer - which gave us a flag.

There are no absolutes in sport.

Malthouse was past his 'use by date' - you do remember the entire board - bar Eddie - wanted him gone after a decade without ultimate success??

Eddie stood up to the board and forced them into a compromise offer - which gave us a flag.

There are no absolutes in sport.
Carlton

Unmm so did anyone watch the VFL game?

I thought Cox presented well at times. At one stage crashed a pack and left two Swans players flattened on the deck.

I focused on Madgen a bit, I remember his first AFL game on that ground when he got a bit of a bath by Franklin, but was pleased to see yesterday that he’s come a long long way and plays a more assertive game.

Kelly was OK. In the few games I’ve seen him live (this one and his AFL debut game) I’m yet to see what the fuss is about.

Rantell had a game he’d probably rather forget.

Bianco was in and out of it a bit.

I was interested to see Dib play, and IMO he did well without standing out.

A general comment, both teams made some poor skill errors at times when under little or no pressure. The difference between the teams was that Swans were better connected, able to move the ball quickly and be able to find each other. Pretty much same situation as the senior team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To sum it up. We had no forward structure and couldn’t take a mark inside 50, we also were unable to transition quickly from defence. The swans were able to move the ball freely and Quickly, and hit up leading targets in the forward 50. Sound familiar?
Sounds like the Buckley coaching style has infected their ball movement and lack of forward structure as well

The difference between the teams was that Swans were better connected, able to move the ball quickly and be able to find each other. Pretty much same situation as the senior team
No surprise given the number of AFL listed players who took the field and the number of forced changes from last week. Tohill, Wilson and Sier have all been important to our VFL structure while McInnes has played most matches and Ruscoe has looked more involved in defence.

Moyle has shown promise in the ruck, but Lynch who’s now missed a few games would have been a better match for the experienced Sinclair and Naismith.

No surprise given the number of AFL listed players who took the field and the number of forced changes from last week. Tohill, Wilson and Sier have all been important to our VFL structure while McInnes has played most matches and Ruscoe has looked more involved in defence.

Moyle has shown promise in the ruck, but Lynch who’s now missed a few games would have been a better match for the experienced Sinclair and Naismith.
That’s all well and good. But the same system issues, regardless of players available were there. We moved the ball slow, and then kicked to a contest on the wing. We had no forward structure, never had space, and I can’t seem to recall a single mark from a lead in the forward 50. Syd were the complete opposite. Fast rebound through the corridor or wing, and kicked to leading forwards or space ahead of them. The same failing system is on full display in the seniors. We have no spread, move the ball far to slow, guard pointless space for no reason, and our forward line system is non existent. It’s just a mess.

Can anyone clarify why Rantall was used behind the ball when we had the likes of Hustwaite and Selwood rolling through the middle? People will look at the numbers and question where the kid is at without having watched the game when the reality is the coaching group are killing him like so many others at the moment.

He knows how to find the footy, seems to make decent decisions and can use the ball.

Hasn't had much of a run at it but has been impressive in limited VFL time, deserves another 2 year contract on minimum coin.

yes I agree with all the above.
I just haven’t seen enough of him to confirm my feeling that his speed is below average, which could be an issue for a small mid.

That’s all well and good. But the same system issues, regardless of players available were there. We moved the ball slow, and then kicked to a contest on the wing. We had no forward structure, never had space, and I can’t seem to recall a single mark from a lead in the forward 50. Syd were the complete opposite. Fast rebound through the corridor or wing, and kicked to leading forwards or space ahead of them. The same failing system is on full display in the seniors. We have no spread, move the ball far to slow, guard pointless space for no reason, and our forward line system is non existent. It’s just a mess.
Good points, but I think they’d be partly addressed through personnel. Tohill frees Madgen up to move to a wing, and also stops a number of Sydney leads. There’s no way Amartey is as dominant against the taller and better defence of Tohill. Tohill has also taken most of our kick outs mostly through long raking kicks. Wilson has provided a lot of drive across half back and wing with nice ball movement too. The quicker ball movement would somewhat hide, but not eliminate the issues with our forward structure.

So, reading through these threads, there is not one player pushing for a senior spot.

That is so sad. :'(

At this stage there's a few just trying to stay on the list, Bianco could push soon if he gets an injury-free run.

Personally I wouldn't keep Rantall beyond this year.

So, reading through these threads, there is not one player pushing for a senior spot.

That is so sad. :'(
Bianco is only two games in after lengthy time off. He is building but showing good signs. He wil potentially play in second half.
Macrae played quite well, again is building a base.
Kelly played a good first half, but our defenders job was made tough given the ease in which the ball transitioned and lack of pressure on the kicker. In fairness to him loss of tohill made his job harder, but he’s def improving down back. Took a couple of nice grabs and kicked a running goal. Defence is his spot for mine.
Cox was serviceable.
Mcmahon did ok with limited opportunities. Feel sorry for a developing forward in our structure. Never have 1 v 1 contests. He moves quite well for a taller bloke. Just needs to impact marking more, but again, that’s more an indictment on our setup than him. Even Cox struggles at VFL to impact contests in the forward line.

realistically only kids ready for AFL atm are mcreery, Murphy and poulter. Bianco and Macrae may push later in the year but need some better tanks. Ginnivan isn’t ready, Rantall isn’t ready. McMahon is a 2 years development project which is what was expected when we drafted him. Reef was showing good signs but sadly 2021 is done for him seniors wise. Henry is well documented that he doesn’t have the body for AFL yet.

i cant see how we don’t take a risk on atleast two MSD picks. No risk and no better time given the seasons done.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back