VFL 2021 VFL R5 v Sydney (Sat 15-May 4.45pm @ SCG) - [kayo]

Remove this Banner Ad

Bianco is only two games in after lengthy time off. He is building but showing good signs. He wil potentially play in second half.
Macrae played quite well, again is building a base.
Kelly played a good first half, but our defenders job was made tough given the ease in which the ball transitioned and lack of pressure on the kicker. In fairness to him loss of tohill made his job harder, but he’s def improving down back. Took a couple of nice grabs and kicked a running goal. Defence is his spot for mine.
Cox was serviceable.
Mcmahon did ok with limited opportunities. Feel sorry for a developing forward in our structure. Never have 1 v 1 contests. He moves quite well for a taller bloke. Just needs to impact marking more, but again, that’s more an indictment on our setup than him. Even Cox struggles at VFL to impact contests in the forward line.

realistically only kids ready for AFL atm are mcreery, Murphy and poulter. Bianco and Macrae may push later in the year but need some better tanks. Ginnivan isn’t ready, Rantall isn’t ready. McMahon is a 2 years development project which is what was expected when we drafted him. Reef was showing good signs but sadly 2021 is done for him seniors wise. Henry is well documented that he doesn’t have the body for AFL yet.

i cant see how we don’t take a risk on atleast two MSD picks. No risk and no better time given the seasons done.
Good summary.

Thanks

Bianco is only two games in after lengthy time off. He is building but showing good signs. He wil potentially play in second half.
Macrae played quite well, again is building a base.
Kelly played a good first half, but our defenders job was made tough given the ease in which the ball transitioned and lack of pressure on the kicker. In fairness to him loss of tohill made his job harder, but he’s def improving down back. Took a couple of nice grabs and kicked a running goal. Defence is his spot for mine.
Cox was serviceable.
Mcmahon did ok with limited opportunities. Feel sorry for a developing forward in our structure. Never have 1 v 1 contests. He moves quite well for a taller bloke. Just needs to impact marking more, but again, that’s more an indictment on our setup than him. Even Cox struggles at VFL to impact contests in the forward line.

realistically only kids ready for AFL atm are mcreery, Murphy and poulter. Bianco and Macrae may push later in the year but need some better tanks. Ginnivan isn’t ready, Rantall isn’t ready. McMahon is a 2 years development project which is what was expected when we drafted him. Reef was showing good signs but sadly 2021 is done for him seniors wise. Henry is well documented that he doesn’t have the body for AFL yet.

i cant see how we don’t take a risk on atleast two MSD picks. No risk and no better time given the seasons done.

McMahon is the real disappointment to me

5 games in and he's kicked 2 goals, and 1 was a joe the goose over the back.

Not taking many marks around the ground either

Hand up I’m not impressed by Black. He’s just the next Rivers and this’ll probably be his only year in the role, but if this is how he communicates I just don’t know if a Big Footy poster could do worse "Like anytime when we win or lose we always look at the good things we did and the areas we can improve in". He took 23 words to say “we’ll focus on the positives” the kids are all we have at the moment so you need to be direct, concise and know the message. That’s a mess.

Hand up I’m not impressed by Black. He’s just the next Rivers and this’ll probably be his only year in the role, but if this is how he communicates I just don’t know if a Big Footy poster could do worse "Like anytime when we win or lose we always look at the good things we did and the areas we can improve in". He took 23 words to say “we’ll focus on the positives” the kids are all we have at the moment so you need to be direct, concise and know the message. That’s a mess.

Talks a bit like Robert Harvey, says a lot of words without saying much. Constantly saying "um" is a pet peeve of mine too.

Isn't his background as a TAC Cup/NAB League coach? I'd have expected that his strengths as a coach would be communication and messaging.

Isn't his background as a TAC Cup/NAB League coach? I'd have expected that his strengths as a coach would be communication and messaging.
yeah, won a tac cup premiership.
If you've been on the ground at 3QT the other week, you would see he is good at communicating. The way he speaks to the boys is quite impressive.

yeah, won a tac cup premiership.
If you've been on the ground at 3QT the other week, you would see he is good at communicating. The way he speaks to the boys is quite impressive.

Each post match review we’ve had has been equally poor. We’re playing a horrible brand of footy. We’re using a number of guys out of position. This guy is as bad as Buckley.

We need to start being ruthless as a supporter base and demanding excellence. Black has this role and Hocking is no longer at the club it’s not good enough!

Talks a bit like Robert Harvey, says a lot of words without saying much. Constantly saying "um" is a pet peeve of mine too.

It’s a trait of Buckley’s too which people have been swallowing for years. Not so much the umming more the mess of words without a concise message.

Just watched the first quarter replay and Kelly looks great in defence with some strong intercept marks/spoils and a confident intercept running goal.

Macraes hands are also a weapon and Bianco looks like he can become a handy midfielder.

I only watched the first half but Kelly was playing well to that point. The intercept an goal on the run was extremely athletic...

At this stage there's a few just trying to stay on the list, Bianco could push soon if he gets an injury-free run.

Personally I wouldn't keep Rantall beyond this year.

Everybody is just trying to stay on the list. I dont think this year is any different. The VFL side is sufferering from the large turnover last season combined with injuries in the senior team. Pre-judging players like Rantall is pretty short sighted give no VFL last year and this season only being a handful of games old.

Apart from Cox and Madgen yesterday (and the washed-up/retired Selwood and a few VFL stalwarts) , there werent any experienced players out on the park yesterday. Not even Sier. The cupboard is bare in terms of expecting the VFL side to be competitive week after week. And Madgen only played becuase he wasnt required as the injury sub in the senior game

Last edited:
Sounds like the Buckley coaching style has infected their ball movement and lack of forward structure as well
There is no coaching style in a rebuild, the side doesn't function when you've blown 8 x 1st round draft picks for zero players and given bloated contracts to slow aging injury ridden players and your salary cap was destroyed. None of which Buckley was responsible for, this constant targeting of him just lets the real culprits off scot free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many Premierships does Clarko have?
How many successful rebuilds does Clarko have?
How many Premierships does Bux have?
How many successful rebuilds does Bux have?
Within in those stats you will find the answer as to why Clarko is not lynched after a loss. Simply, players and club have faith in him. As do the supporters.

What you don’t know is what input Clarkson had in the success of that rebuild. Was it Clarkson or the List Manager. Did Clarkson pick Hodge, Lewis, Roughy, Buddy or the list management team? Who was it that identified Gunston as a trade target?

Similarly, you don’t know what input Bux had in a lot of our list decisions over the past 10 years. Did he make the decision to give up two first round picks in the Treloar deal, or give up two for Beams? Did Bux make the decision to pay oversfor Grundy and Treloar or the List Manager? Is he to blame for our salary cap situation?

It is easy to praise or criticise the coach, but the head of the football department and list manager are probably more important. Bux is as much a victim of their decisions as anyone.

What you don’t know is what input Clarkson had in the success of that rebuild. Was it Clarkson or the List Manager. Did Clarkson pick Hodge, Lewis, Roughy, Buddy or the list management team? Who was it that identified Gunston as a trade target?

Similarly, you don’t know what input Bux had in a lot of our list decisions over the past 10 years. Did he make the decision to give up two first round picks in the Treloar deal, or give up two for Beams? Did Bux make the decision to pay oversfor Grundy and Treloar or the List Manager? Is he to blame for our salary cap situation?

It is easy to praise or criticise the coach, but the head of the football department and list manager are probably more important. Bux is as much a victim of their decisions as anyone.
I do not believe that Buckley is immune from criticism and is 'as much a victim as anyone'. These decisions would have occurred over a period of weeks or months. There is no way a coach would be denied knowledge of list and contract decisions concerning players of the importance of Treloar, Beams or Grundy, unless he specifically asked not to be consulted or informed. Any coach not vitally interested in the details of such important negotiations and decisions is not worth employing anyway.

I do not believe that Buckley is immune from criticism and is 'as much a victim as anyone'. These decisions would have occurred over a period of weeks or months. There is no way a coach would be denied knowledge of list and contract decisions concerning players of the importance of Treloar, Beams or Grundy, unless he specifically asked not to be consulted or informed. Any coach not vitally interested in the details of such important negotiations and decisions is not worth employing anyway.
Coaching is a fulltime profession, so is recruiting, if it went beyond advisory then it would be unprofessional

Agee he is not entirely immune but he gets more blame than I suspect he should. The Beams trade and the dollars paid to Grundy and Treloar deals are decisions I suspect Buckley had limited say in. Yes he would say I want them on the list, but the deals to get them done are not his responsibility. He is the Coach, not the head of football or the list manager.

The only example we’ve actually got to go by was the recruiting of Mayne. If I recall correctly, Bucks only had limited input into him being added to the list.

Q1
Jacob Booth got the Pies underway with an awesome set shot from the edge of 50m. Booth finished the day with 13 disposals and 2 goals. He’s provided a good target inside 50 as he returns from an injury interrupted pre-season.

The moment of the quarter was Will Kelly’s athletic interception about 70m out. He collected the ball and launched on the run, kicking truely to get the Pies’ 2nd. Spending most of the day on Swans’ youngster Logan McDonald, Kelly was a brick wall in defence. He was fantastic intercepting the ball and had multiple defensive spoils throughout the game. Kelly had 7 touches, 4 marks and a goal at quarter time, easily the most influential player on the ground.

Trent Bianco was equally as impressive in the first quarter. Finishing on 10 disposals for the quarter, Bianco was industrious around the contest and provided first use for the outside running midfielders to get the ball moving forward. In his second game for the season, Bianco ended the game with 23 disposals. His tackling has been a stand-out aspect to his game, leading the team for the second week in a row with 7 tackles.

QT Score - Swans 1.5.11 v Pies 2.1.13

Q2
3 goals to start the second term saw the Pies lead by 21 points.

Booth got his second and then it was Liam McMahon and Mason Cox who both finished off their opportunities in front of goal to get the Pies away.

Cox kicked 2 for the game in what was a generally quiet performance. He played an important role balancing ruck duties with a position deep in the forward line.

McMahon continues to string games together. Not quite ready for the top level yet, McMahon is developing nicely in that dynamic tall forward role for the Pies.

Unfortunately after that it was all Sydney, 6 goals to 1 to end the second quarter had the Swans take a 13 point lead into the major break.

HT Score - Swans 7.9.51 v Pies 6.2.38

Q3
The Swans got the first of the second half and were well on top.

If it wasn’t for Callan Wellings, the scoreline might have looked even worse. Wellings was dependable in defence, playing a role quite deep for most of the match. His work rate exemplified all game, pushing up the ground as the Pies tried to win the territory game. Wellings broke through a stoppage at 60m and threw the ball on the boot. A fortunate bounce rolled through the big sticks to bring the Pies back to 14 points. Wellings finished the game with 22 disposals to go with his goal.

The leaders had to stand up in the third term as the Swans piled on the pressure. Lachie Tardew had a captain’s performance, earning himself the Collingwood player of the match award. Tardew slotted a set shot from the boundary, reward for a fantastic intercepting spoil on half forward. He had 27 disposals for the match including 5 marks.

The Pies were able to get the score back to just 9 points the difference leading into the final term.

3QT Score - Swans 8.12.60 v Pies 8.3.51

Q4
A stalemate start to the 4th quarter was broken open by the Swans when Callum Sinclair kicked the Swans ahead.

The boys never gave up, an indisputable trait of the VFL side.

Ned Moyle fought valiantly against a very experienced Sydney ruck duo of Sinclair and Sam Naismith. Moyle wasn’t able to make his presence felt on the scoreboard with 2 behinds, however he led the match for hit-outs with 23 over Naismith’s 19 and Sincalir’s 16.

Another player who leaves everything on the field is Jack Madgen. Madgen played a role deep in defence to make up for Tom Wilson playing AFL. Madgen had 22 disposals for the afternoon but was important in setting up the team behind the ball with his leadership and communication.

Unfortunately the Swans were able to kick way in the final term, Ryan Clarke kicking his 3rd to go with his 41 disposals as the home side finished 33 points ahead.

A disappointing end to a tough afternoon at the SCG.

Final Score
Swans
Collingwood 8.5.53

Goals: Booth 2, Cox 2, Kelly, McMahon, Tardew, Wellings
Best: Tardew, Wellings, Booth, Bianco, Madgen, Kelly

How many touches did McMahon get? I thought he was virtually invisible most of the game
Yeah, he was pretty quiet. It never stated he wasn't. Just he isn't ready for the top level yet.

But looks like it was 9 disposals, 1 goal, 2 marks, 2 inside 50's.

Still needs some size and win more contests.

Yeah, he was pretty quiet. It never stated he wasn't. Just he isn't ready for the top level yet.

But looks like it was 9 disposals, 1 goal, 2 marks, 2 inside 50's.

Still needs some size and win more contests.

His goal was a joe the goose over the top so I'm not really counting it.

He needs to lift because he's not really VFL standard right now, 1 goal in 5 VFL games

I wouldn't read anything into it. It's a press conference. We've moved from MM not saying anything at all to the more journo friendly approach of using a lot of words to say nothing at all.

Each post match review we’ve had has been equally poor. We’re playing a horrible brand of footy. We’re using a number of guys out of position. This guy is as bad as Buckley.

We need to start being ruthless as a supporter base and demanding excellence. Black has this role and Hocking is no longer at the club it’s not good enough!

It’s a trait of Buckley’s too which people have been swallowing for years. Not so much the umming more the mess of words without a concise message.

Not that it can ever really quantified, but I'd interested to see the extent to which we can credit 2018 to the presence of Hocking and Longmuir.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back