2021 Vuelta a Espana

I'd have thought that the Angliru is that for the Vuelta (which happens to be in the same mountain range as the Gamoniteiru)
That's a fair call, but there are multiple epic ones in each GT (Mont Venteux another example) and I guess I get excited when I see new climbs that look like this and all the possibilities

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I really hope that it becomes an iconic Vuelta climb, similar to the Zonkolan for the Giro or Alp D'uez for the Tour. It looks brutal.
The Gamoniteru is "only" the 2nd hardest climb in Spain, behind the Angliru. Mind you, that still puts it about 50 positions above Alpe D'Huez, on the list of toughest climbs in Europe.

Alpe D'Huez, for all its mythological status, really doesn't belong in the same company as those other climbs.
  • Alpe D'Huez is only 13.8km @ 8.1%. The steepest kilometer is only 11.5%, and the maximum gradient hits 13%.
  • The Zoncolan is shorter, at 9.9km, but has an average of 12.2%. The steepest kilometre is 17.2%, with a maximum gradient of 20%.
  • The Angliru is 12.6km, with an average of 10.1%. The steepest kilometre is 17.5%, with a maximum gradient of 23.5%.
  • The Gamoniteru is 14.8km, at an average of 9.76%, with a steepest kilometer at 12.8% (right at the very top), and a maximum gradient of 17%.
Even last night's climb to Lagos de Covadonga is arguably tougher than the Alpe. The average gradient is lower, but the steepest kilometer (12.2%) and peak gradient (16%) are both considerably harder than what the Alpe has to offer.

The Angliru & Zoncolan deserve to be rated much more highly than the Alpe. So, for that matter, does the Gamoniteru. The only reason the Alpe is so highly rated is because of it's status within the Tour. It's not even the toughest climb on the Tour, but they don't usually put the finish line on top of the Tourmalet...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
That's a fair call, but there are multiple epic ones in each GT (Mont Venteux another example) and I guess I get excited when I see new climbs that look like this and all the possibilities
The Angliru is the King of Climbs, at least as far as Europe is concerned. The Alpe is vastly overrated, when you compare its level of difficulty with many other climbs.

What the Alpe offers, that no other climb can match, is the atmosphere of climbing through those famous 21 bends, and the raucuous spectators inhabiting every last one of them.

The Gamoniteru is "only" the 2nd hardest climb in Spain, behind the Angliru. Mind you, that still puts it about 50 positions above Alpe D'Huez, on the list of toughest climbs in Europe.

Alpe D'Huez, for all its mythological status, really doesn't belong in the same company as those other climbs.
  • Alpe D'Huez is only 13.8km @ 8.1%. The steepest kilometer is only 11.5%, and the maximum gradient hits 13%.
  • The Zoncolan is shorter, at 9.9km, but has an average of 12.2%. The steepest kilometre is 17.2%, with a maximum gradient of 20%.
  • The Angliru is 12.6km, with an average of 10.1%. The steepest kilometre is 17.5%, with a maximum gradient of 23.5%.
  • The Gamoniteru is 14.8km, at an average of 9.76%, with a steepest kilometer at 12.8% (right at the very top), and a maximum gradient of 17%.
Even last night's climb to Lagos de Covadonga is arguably tougher than the Alpe. The average gradient is lower, but the steepest kilimater (12.2%) and peak gradient (16%) are both considerably harder than what the Alpe has to offer.

The Angliru & Zoncolan deserve to be rated much more highly than the Alpe. So, for that matter, does the Gamoniteru. The only reason the Alpe is so highly rated is because of it's status within the Tour. It's not even the toughest climb on the Tour, but they don't usually put the finish line on top of the Tourmalet...
This is what I love about when you post. The Tourmalet should get more MT finishes as well, I agree. We're probably due another visit to Alpe D'huez next year actually

It's funny how a good GT can change a teams fortunes for a season. DSM has had an average year, but if Storer wins the stage, there's only 41 KOM points available after it. Which would mean the only person who can beat him would be his teammate.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Bahrain have put in so much effort pacing most of the day for God knows what reason. They ain't winning GC, doubtful to win the stage ahead of Roglic if the break doesn't succeed and Movistar have nobody up the road.

Bahrain have put in so much effort pacing most of the day for God knows what reason. They ain't winning GC, doubtful to win the stage ahead of Roglic if the break doesn't succeed and Movistar have nobody up the road.
Think it's a case of they want the stage win for Haig maybe?

Great stage. Good win by Superman, Haig probably needs to take a little bit of time back on Lopez over the next 2 days to get 3rd. Should bring back a minute and a bit over but it's a minute and 43 seconds.

Roglic has it won.
If Jakobsen makes the time cut it's hard for him to lose Green. Tomorrow will be one for the break, Roglic won't care.
KOM can theoretically be won by Storer, Bardet, Caruso, Majka, Lopez and Haig. Storer should look for the move tomorrow because if he finishes 1st on all three, it's virtually unassailable.

Still, good race so far

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
19-map.jpg

19 profile.jpg

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I've always said the Vuelta is a massively under rated race - I think his year, as a series of one-day races and as a 3-week race with Roglic lying in wait, has been outstanding.

This years Giro was one out of the box (I guess, given we missed 2 of the critical stages cos of weather/shitty tv coverage) and would be hard to beat as a race. But I find myself watching a hell of a lot of this Vuelta, especially wanting to see the performances of Storer, Haig and Matthews - the first 2 of whom are young guys who might be Olympic/World Championship hopes in the future.

Bike Exchange simply couldn't chase them down. Bizarre from DSM and FDJ,they had the two fastest riders in the peloton and let one team try to chase by themselves.

Maggie is a star. One of the best riders of this race.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
20-map.jpg

20 profile.jpg

Called a mountain stage, although the highest is just over 600m. Only one nasty kick of about 16% on the stage tonight, and that's halfway up the Alto Castro de Herville, and the finish bumps from averaging 3.5% to 10% for the last 200m.

Will be interesting to see if Majka or Caruso attempt to get in the break. It's mathematically possible for them to win the KOM, but it requires them to win every climb and Storer to only get 1 point or Bardet only 6. As far as DSM tactics go, I'd just mark any moves of the pair. One sits on Majka, the other Caruso.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Looking at the KotM points, noting that there are no categorised climbs in the ITT tomorrow:
1x Cat-3 - 3pts
3x Cat-2 = 15pts
1x Cat-1 = 10pts

That's 28 points on offer, if someone can be first over all of the climbs & win the stage.

That means Majka (33pts), Caruso (33), Roglic (48), Bardet (54) and Storer (59) could all theoretically claim the polka dot jersey. Majka & Caruso would have to pretty much win every single climb. Roglic could take the points on the final climb, but the other points are all likely to go to riders in the breakaway.

That means that there is basically a 2-way battle for the KotM prize, with DSM teammates Storer & Bardet by far the most likely winners. I suspect that the winner will be determined by whichever of them can get themselves into the breakaway. Alternatively, they could both sit in the peleton, in which case Storer wins - but I think that's unlikely, given the way DSM has raced the entire Vuelta.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Will be interesting to see if Majka or Caruso attempt to get in the break. It's mathematically possible for them to win the KOM, but it requires them to win every climb and Storer to only get 1 point or Bardet only 6. As far as DSM tactics go, I'd just mark any moves of the pair. One sits on Majka, the other Caruso.
I was just doing the maths myself. I think it's unlikely that Storer fails to score more than 1pt if he goes in the breakaway, or Bardet scoring less than 6 if he goes in the break. The only way it works for Majka & Caruso is if the DSM riders are both content to sit in the peleton.

If Storer & Bardet sat in the peleton, then Majka/Caruso could afford to drop a maximum of 2 points for the entire stage. That leaves 2 possible permutations:
  • Finish 2nd or 3rd on the Cat 3, while winning the Cat 1 and all of the Cat 2s;
  • Finish 2nd on one of the Cat 2s, while winning all of the other climbs.

I was just doing the maths myself. I think it's unlikely that Storer fails to score more than 1pt if he goes in the breakaway, or Bardet scoring less than 6 if he goes in the break. The only way it works for Majka & Caruso is if the DSM riders are both content to sit in the peleton.

If Storer & Bardet sat in the peleton, then Majka/Caruso could afford to drop a maximum of 2 points for the entire stage. That leaves 2 possible permutations:
  • Finish 2nd or 3rd on the Cat 3, while winning the Cat 1 and all of the Cat 2s;
  • Finish 2nd on one of the Cat 2s, while winning all of the other climbs.
Have to finish second on the Cat three, the scoring goes:

Cat 3: 3/1
Cat 2: 5/3/1
Cat 1: 10/6/4/2/1

In all honesty I doubt Caruso goes after it. TBV should be putting their cards in a Haig attack on the last mountain. I'm telling Haig to mark Majka and if Caruso doesn't go then Bardet to attack across. UAE should just commit the whole team to the break if they're committed to winning polka dots

It really is very simple - if DSM get Bardet or Storer into the breakaway, then that's the KotM jersey decided. The question is who they want to give it to? Storer already has multiple stage wins, so they may want Bardet to come away with a prize as well.
I'd plan around both getting in and just letting them duke it out

Back