Analysis 2021 - What's the pass mark?

We could lose every single game in the year and I'd be satisfied...

IF

There was clear evidence of us taking forward steps in terms of on field personnel and development

Winning 8 games with a plodder midfield and kids playing SANFL would be way worse than winning 0 games and kids in the side

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I would like us to be competitive because its harder to develop younger players if you're getting smashed every week. You risk shattering their confidence and you end up with loser stench all over you, Carlton style. That being said, I expect bottom 4 and I won't be upset with that providing we keep developing the younger players.

I'll say this though my tolerance for playing cooked older players is going to be at an all time low. If guys are routinely getting selected purely on reputation and aren't delivering, I will start making the sack Nicks avatars. The travesty that was the North game in 2020 was the last hurrah for our culture of gold passes afaic.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers

IF

There was clear evidence of us taking forward steps in terms of on field personnel and development

Winning 8 games with a plodder midfield and kids playing SANFL would be way worse than winning 0 games and kids in the side
My thoughts exactly

And if we do come last.. which I honestly dont think we will.. i think we’ll be in the bottom 5... probably heading for pick 3.
If we do come last I want to hear our admin/new CEO screaming at the top of his lungs demanding a PP.. especially if Crouch or Laird take up Free agency or even if Fish leaves..

As well as pointing to all the talent that has been lured out of the club by big coin in the past few years.

We come last again and we definately deserve a PP.

Last edited:
Pass mark for me is to be competitive for longer (so, don't get belted too frequently), and get a few more kids through who look like they have a bright future. I expect us to come last based off our draw, and I don't feel too particularly confident we'll get more than four wins.

Fail is if we're in the same situation to this year coming into 2022.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

IF

Winning zero games doesn't compute if there's also 'clear evidence of us taking forward steps in terms of on field personnel and development'.

It just doesn't make sense.

morris086

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
5 wins:
We're not going to miraculously move high up the ladder but some four quarter efforts with some purple patches against the top teams will be fine.

Play the kids:
Getting games into the young players is a must. We've got a good little group of young mids together now we can afford to play any 2 or 3 of Jones, Pedlar, Berry, O'connor, Mchenry, Schoenberg every week. I'd also like to see Hammill and Sholl used in the middle ahead of Seeds and Smith.

Resting the seniors:
This to me is a non negotiable, I don't want to hear "_____ is managing a slight injury but he'll play this week".

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

IF

I'm not sure losing every game would ever provide said evidence.

In any case, I want to see us win 5/6 games and not completely **** the bed in some others. It's inevitable we'll cop some beltings against the good sides but I don't want to see it against the rubbish ones.

If we pick senior players they must earn their spot every week, if there's a kid playing well in the 2s they must be rewarded particularly if they're midfielders. Get as many youngsters through there as possible.

Play said kids in the SANFL in the positions you want them to play in the senior side. For instance, there's no point playing Newchurch in defence just because structure says we might need him there..... It's pointless.

Winning zero games doesn't compute if there's also 'clear evidence of us taking forward steps in terms of on field personnel and development'.

It just doesn't make sense.
If we start the year getting belted as badly as we were last year then finish with some close losses while also blooding progressively more kids that will be enough for me.

Of course it's unlikely we'd finish with 0 wins given no team has in a very long time.

But the point is the wins themselves don't matter. It's all about how we play with what people on the ground

Last edited:

Dockzy

Debutant
Nov 5, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Whyalla Football Club
Just pump as many games into the kids as possible let’s see who has it and who doesn’t
I will not be unhappy with a bottom 3 finish as long as we are competitive One of Horne, Sinn, Chesser, Sonsie or Rachele will be nice to add to the team in 2022.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm sure I'd get caught up in any wins but for me, far more important than the number is the way we go about it. The team selected, how they play, the improvement they show, the way the game plan develops.

A pass mark for me is being competitive for longer in more games. Picking a team based on where we are going.

It's not that I don't want us to win games, it's just that I'd rather us be competitive but ultimately lose with a young side than get a few early wins with a team with all of our most experienced players and decide to persist with that because consistency or something.

So I guess, it's not possible to put a pass mark purely on games won, because if that number was say 5, and those 5 games came from a period where we played our most senior side against bottom 8 competition or something it would mean very little for us going forward.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
I'd just like to see us moving forward, developing the young players and playing some decent game style where we move the ball quickly. Not that horrible slowing the game down we saw under the last period under Pyke.

And I'd really like us to cause a couple of upset wins. Knocking off a couple of good teams.

Oct 11, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Adelaide, Everton, NY Yankees
Not really about a pass mark - just what I want to see.
# Losing no more than one game by ten goals and none by 100 points.
# Assuming we will be in the race to the bottom with Hawthorn, Sydney, North and Essendon, finishing above two of these and being around the mark with the better two.
# Snagging a showdown.
# Being ultra competitive at home - no losses past 5 goals.
# Blooding ten new players.
# Congratulating 3 of McKay, Walker, Seedsman, Kelly and Lynch on their retirements.

Back