2021 WI vs SA - the battle for world cricket supremacy (2 Tests, 5 T20Is)

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Starts tonight.

if we are fair dinkum we need to at LEAST draw this series and really probably should win it given the catastrophic state of SA cricket.

the problem is the good players they still have are exactly the type that routinely win matches single handed out against us. Rabada or Nortje steaming through our top order, de Koch turning 5-80 into 6-300 in the blink of an eye etc.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
How's West Indies likely debuting 19 year old Jayden Seales who has 1 first class game against NZ A where he took 1/53 & 0/23? He hasn't even played first class cricket for T&T yet. He impressed Roger Harper in a couple of intra-squad games and it looks like he's straight in from it. It seems like a recipe for disaster to me but it'll turn in to a masterstroke if it comes off.

South Africa are likely to have a couple of debutants of their own in the middle order with Keegan Petersen and Kyle Verreynne (if Temba Bavuma misses with injury as expected). Their pace attack of Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje looks frightening they just need some runs to bowl at.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
How's West Indies likely debuting 19 year old Jayden Seales who has 1 first class game against NZ A where he took 1/53 & 0/23? He hasn't even played first class cricket for T&T yet. He impressed Roger Harper in a couple of intra-squad games and it looks like he's straight in from it. It seems like a recipe for disaster to me but it'll turn in to a masterstroke if it comes off.

South Africa are likely to have a couple of debutants of their own in the middle order with Keegan Petersen and Kyle Verreynne (if Temba Bavuma misses with injury as expected). Their pace attack of Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje looks frightening they just need some runs to bowl at.

It kinda worked with Fidel edwards but he also bowled 150kp/h yorkers. He took 5-36 on test debut - with one match under his belt

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I'm pretty sure this series isn't being shown on Fox. West Indies Youtube channel will apparently be streaming it and it looks like you can watch it on Sportsbet too.

Heisenberg111

Senior List
Feb 11, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
West Indies need to start winning at home first. Unfortunately they can't seem to beat any half decent side at home. Yes I know they beat England in 2019, but since then they have lost to India and failed to beat Sri Lanka at home.

Losing this series against South Africa will mean that they are still a poor test team like they have been for the last 2 decades.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I actually like that the Windies went with 6 batsman + Holder and De Silva to lengthen their batting. Especially given 2 of those batsman are Mayers and Chase who both bowl. They just all collectively sucked.

I also said picking Seales seemed like a recipe for disaster so what the hell would I know?

In saying that if they can bowl SA out for less than 200 there's still hope of a comeback. Have to get QDK early though. It must be weird for you PhatBoy having to cheer against QDK? At least Bavuma is injured so you don't have to cheer for his demise too.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I actually like that the Windies went with 6 batsman + Holder and De Silva to lengthen their batting. Especially given 2 of those batsman are Mayers and Chase who both bowl. They just all collectively sucked.

I also said picking Seales seemed like a recipe for disaster so what the hell would I know?

In saying that if they can bowl SA out for less than 200 there's still hope of a comeback. Have to get QDK early though. It must be weird for you PhatBoy having to cheer against QDK? At least Bavuma is injured so you don't have to cheer for his demise too.

lol I can rationalise it don’t worry

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Aw, geez. Switched off the YouTube stream last night thinking the Windies had seen off the new ball well... & then woke up to this!

Credit must go to Ngidi & Nortje. Even with their troubles, South Africa never fail to field a world class bowling attack.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Aw, geez. Switched off the YouTube stream last night thinking the Windies had seen off the new ball well... & then woke up to this!

Credit must go to Ngidi & Nortje. Even with their troubles, South Africa never fail to field a world class bowling attack.

******* disappointing with SA’s batting worries even 200 might have been competitive. To get blown away like that was less than desirable

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
******* disappointing with SA’s batting worries even 200 might have been competitive. To get blown away like that was less than desirable
Really feel they dropped Bravo again too soon. Hopefully he still stands a chance of pushing for a recall. As much love as I have for Shai Hope, I feel that he really needs to prove he can hang at Test level moving forward. Such talent, but a few too many loose shots in his arsenal.

Fudge Nuggets

Team Captain
Dec 27, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Is YouTube showing video? I've only been able to find West Indies radio broadcast on the YouToobs.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Shai Hope is like Carl Hooper or Graeme Hick on steroids.

he played an off drive off Nortje last night that would have made Damien Martyn look like a bum. Yet you put him in white clothes and he simply cannot make a score.

Last edited:

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Jayden Seales looks fantastic. Reminds me of Rabada's action. No wonder they fast tracked him

Is there another Croft coming through?
Yeh that languid West Indian action. I saw Jayden as an 18 year old in U19 and he impressed me with his attitude and raw talent.

Back