2021 WI vs SA - the battle for world cricket supremacy (2 Tests, 5 T20Is)

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Since beating Bangladesh the west indies have lost to the weakest sri Lankan & south african teams we have seen in many years. My assessment that ppl were getting ahead of themselves was correct

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Since beating Bangladesh the west indies have lost to the weakest sri Lankan & south african teams we have seen in many years. My assessment that ppl were getting ahead of themselves was correct

This would be more worrying if they had actually lost to Sri Lanka rather than had slightly the better of two draws against them

Last edited:
They drew against Sri Lanka and had marginally the better of those draws, but good try.

I find the refusal to acknowledge that improving doesn’t have to equal ‘being good’ fascinating
Yeah it's quite binary and rather stupid.

All this said, this does seem to have been a particularly bad performance from WI. It's their best opportunity to beat South Africa in a generation and they come out and produce that?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah it's quite binary and rather stupid.

All this said, this does seem to have been a particularly bad performance from WI. It's their best opportunity to beat South Africa in a generation and they come out and produce that?

It was abject but as I said beforehand the one thing that has shown no sign of changing for them in recent times is their ability against good pace bowling and it brought them undone again. The SA batting performance I could handle. They’re not the first and wont be the last team to reduce SA to 5-not many and get repelled by a de kock counter attack.

the lack of stick ability against high pace is a real problem

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Lost by innings to weakest south Africa since return to tests. Also the sri Lankan team they faced was the worst I've seen since 80's.

Judging by what you post in here I’d say what you haven’t seen is a lot larger than what you have.

previous incarnations of the West Indies over the past decade would have lost to that Sri Lankan side and many others. Previous West Indies sides wouldn’t have taken tests of Pakistan home and away and England home and away and wouldn’t have won in Bangladesh. End of story.

stop trying to deny an assertion that no one has made.
Are the West Indies good?
No.

are they less bad than they were?

yes.
As for South Africa - yes they are weak. Their batting is anyway.

their bowling is not. So while I would expect the current West Indies team (remembering Gabriel is missing) to have no issues being competitive with the ball, they aren’t good enough with the bat to waltz out and easily handle Nortje, Rabada and Ngidi and it showed

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Judging by what you post in here I’d say what you haven’t seen is a lot larger than what you have.

previous incarnations of the West Indies over the past decade would have lost to that Sri Lankan side and many others. Previous West Indies sides wouldn’t have taken tests of Pakistan home and away and England home and away and wouldn’t have won in Bangladesh. End of story.

stop trying to deny an assertion that no one has made.
Are the West Indies good?
No.

are they less bad than they were?

yes.
As for South Africa - yes they are weak. Their batting is anyway.

their bowling is not. So while I would expect the current West Indies team (remembering Gabriel is missing) to have no issues being competitive with the ball, they aren’t good enough with the bat to waltz out and easily handle Nortje, Rabada and Ngidi and it showed

Not really - they're without a world class batsman. In the past there was always somebody who filled that role; bravo, chanderpaul, gayle...
Bowling records have been enhanced by more matches against minows but as we've seen in recent series that doesn't count for much

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Not really - they're without a world class batsman. In the past there was always somebody who filled that role; bravo, chanderpaul, gayle...
Bowling records have been enhanced by more matches against minows but as we've seen in recent series that doesn't count for much

Excluding Australia and NZ who he’s played a combined 6 tests against, Holder averages 35 against India, 22 against Pakistan, 17 against Sri Lanka, 29 against England and 30 against South Africa

Kemar Roach averages 30 or less against everyone bar Australia and Pakistan.

Gabriel averages 30 or less against England, Pakistan and Sri Lanka and has only played 1 test against Australia.

‘as we’ve seen in recent series that doesn’t count for much.’

which recent series? The recent series where they rolled England? Aside from a trip to NZ and India their bowling as caused problems for everyone. Would cause more if they could catch as well.

they haven’t had a world class batsman SINCE Chanderpaul. Bravo hasn’t been world class in that period even though he’s undoubtedly good enough. They’ve been 6 years running on spare parts in the top 6.

theyve improved a bit as a team, they are still ordinary. Accept it.

Last edited:

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
It blows my mind that the 2nd test of this series is being played at the same time as the WTC final. Surely the WTC final needs to have no international matches being played at the same time as it?

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Yesss. Darren Bravo back in the Windies squad. Fingers crossed he gets a run.

Also, fans allowed for this match apparently. Not many of them, but it will be a welcome change. Has been very strange to watch cricket in the West Indies without a vociferous crowd.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Also, fans allowed for this match apparently. Not many of them, but it will be a welcome change. Has been very strange to watch cricket in the West Indies without a vociferous crowd.

Didn’t make the XI :(

Again a great start with the ball. Credit to Elgar who dug them out of a tight spot. Boy he scratched around though even by his standards.
On the plus side at least de kock hasn’t completely taken the game away from us yet

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Has any other cricketer had a longer career than Shai Hope based on one good test performance?!

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

400 and proof of vaccine. FMD...

Back