2021 WI vs SA - the battle for world cricket supremacy (2 Tests, 5 T20Is)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good stuff from big Kemar in that second innings. Most certainly the best fast man the Windies have had since Ambrose/Walsh.

That was also the first time I have seen van der Dussen play an innings of substance. Glad to see him amongst the runs.

Good stuff from big Kemar in that second innings. Most certainly the best fast man the Windies have had since Ambrose/Walsh.

That was also the first time I have seen van der Dussen play an innings of substance. Glad to see him amongst the runs.

Roach is among the smartest bowlers on the planet. Would have loved to have seen how he would have turned out if it weren’t for that car crash. Robbed him of about 7-8km/h average speed.

mayers is an interesting case. Bowled basically as an afterthought in his first few test matches. He actually reminds me of Vernon Philander with his trajectory and his shape. Not going to run through anyone when there’s no help on offer but when there’s some swing or Seam about he could be a handy asset

I thought OShane Thomas would have been doing alright for himself these days. Haven't seen him much since the 2019 CWC.

That’s a ******* disgusting dismissal Shai Hope.

a player who routinely makes runs against 145+ white ball bowlers, even allowing for the bouncer restrictions in one day cricket, should not be getting out like that in test cricket

*en hell that’s dumb cricket. You’ve just hit the best bowler in the other team for 2-4 with two beautiful shots and you do that. 64-run stand, doing it easily and you do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Safe to say this series has been a step back for the Windies. A shame.

No, you were pretty confident west indies would give South Africa a run for its money.

Not sure if your saw or not but they bowled them out at an average of 26 per wicket. So with one aspect of their cricket they did. That isn’t decent. That is excellent. I also said they have a real problem with high class pace bowling which is something South Africa still has and it turns out they weren’t up to it. This morning they weren’t even up to it against Keshav Maharaj. It doesn’t magically mean previous results didn’t happen.

That’s a ******* disgusting dismissal Shai Hope.

a player who routinely makes runs against 145+ white ball bowlers, even allowing for the bouncer restrictions in one day cricket, should not be getting out like that in test cricket
I'm really losing faith in Hope at Test level now. Part of me really wanted Bravo in there in place of Shai.

I'm really losing faith in Hope at Test level now. Part of me really wanted Bravo in there in place of Shai.

Me too. Worst part is he gave yet another taste of his actual ability in the first innings with nothing to show for it

Perhaps the most irritating thing is that the guys who DO have the game don’t have the mentality (Hope has the game, Powell definitely does and always has - he’s elegant, compact, has all the shots). The guys who do have the mentality - Brathwaite, Dowrich, Chase, Blackwood to an extent who really seems to be trying to dig in since he returned to the side - they don’t have the game.

Me too. Worst part is he gave yet another taste of his actual ability in the first innings with nothing to show for it

Perhaps the most irritating thing is that the guys who DO have the game don’t have the mentality (Hope has the game, Powell definitely does and always has - he’s elegant, compact, has all the shots). The guys who do have the mentality - Brathwaite, Dowrich, Chase, Blackwood to an extent who really seems to be trying to dig in since he returned to the side - they don’t have the game.
What would your ideal Windies Test XI look like heading forward PhatBoy?

What would your ideal Windies Test XI look like heading forward PhatBoy?

I like Powell being back in there. I think he has class he’s just mentally very ordinary.

brathwaite
Powell
Bravo
Bonner
Mayers
Holder
Dowrich/da Silva
Cornwall
Roach
Searles/Joseph
Gabriel

Chase has the goods upstairs but his technique against the moving ball is suspect. Blackwood has something to offer but not sure where he fits in among that group

Not sure if your saw or not but they bowled them out at an average of 26 per wicket. So with one aspect of their cricket they did. That isn’t decent. That is excellent. I also said they have a real problem with high class pace bowling which is something South Africa still has and it turns out they weren’t up to it. This morning they weren’t even up to it against Keshav Maharaj. It doesn’t magically mean previous results didn’t happen.

South African batting has regressed, but still had more than enough against West Indies. Roach & Gabriel are best & have been around for awhile. Long term prospects look poor

I like Powell being back in there. I think he has class he’s just mentally very ordinary.

brathwaite
Powell
Bravo
Bonner
Mayers
Holder
Dowrich/da Silva
Cornwall
Roach
Searles/Joseph
Gabriel

Chase has the goods upstairs but his technique against the moving ball is suspect. Blackwood has something to offer but not sure where he fits in among that group
That looks really good to me. Agree with you on Powell, he was probably the only Windies batsman to look like withstanding the Saffers last night. Dowrich probably deserves a run with the gloves as well. I'd wager he'd average a little bit more with the bat than da Dilva, but not sure who's the better gloveman outright.

Another guy who I felt hasn't really kicked on that much since his debut is Keemo Paul. Hopefully he'll be able to trouble the selectors over the course of the next 12 months.

South African batting has regressed, but still had more than enough against West Indies. Roach & Gabriel are best & have been around for awhile. Long term prospects look poor

Seales debuted after one first class game and looked quite good.
chemar holder has been given a taste of test cricket and actually has served a decent apprenticeship at first class level and averages 23.
Joseph hasn’t improved as most would have expected but he’s still got ability.

South Africa’s ‘more than enough’ was largely the two players who have always been more than enough - Elgar and de kock.
Van der dussen made a very important 75* in this match but that aside it was the guys who we actually know can play against any quality of bowling who got them their runs.
Ambrose made a good point on the commentary last night. People have complained for a long time that the change in Caribbean pitches has hurt West Indies fast bowling. And yes it’s true it’s meant that all the islands have a couple of spinners now who do the donkey work in their first class competition, fatten their records on substandard surfaces and then can’t cut it at test level.

more than that though - and our current pace bowling stocks show that it has been overcome from a bowling perspective - it has hurt the batsmen. Getting no exposure to bouncy, fast and seaming conditions means when they front an attack like SA or Australia they don’t have the game to counter it. St Lucia is actually a quick surface and against bowlers like Nortje and Rabada the inability against hostile bowling was on show

Remove this Banner Ad

Back