Votes: 17 1.5%
  • West Coast Eagles

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 2 0.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed.

We can be positive that Essendon's back half depends on a couple of once good players who are completely cooked.
We can be positive that Essendon's front half depends on a fat lazy flake, a zippy downhill skier and two meters of can't take a contested mark.
We can be positive that Essendon's midfield is in good shape (apart from lacking size, pace, hardness, two way running, inside grunt and accurate disposal).

That's quite a lot to be positive about.

Imagine beating such a side by a single point, and that being the only reason you finished above them on the ladder.

You'd think Carlton just won the premiership the way you blooos supporters are carrying on.

I have North and Adelaide bottom 1 and 2 again and am genuinely surprised at the lack of Adelaide votes.

North are the obvious choice to take it out with commitment to a full rebuild.

Like some others I think hawks are a smoky, not 100% sure where their improvement comes from compared to other teams around the same mark.

They also lost McKenna so theyve got no way out of the back 50 aside from a long kick down the boundary line. Hurley and Hooker will drop away further and theres no standout KPD replacement.

Their midfield woes are well known and while Phillips and Draper are somewhat serviceable rucks they arent giving their oompa loompas silver service.

AMT and Mosquito are their best forwards now with no notable KPF for inside 50s to focus on.

It looks like their coach hasnt been able to get the players to buy in to whatever it is their gameplan is and there appears to be an underlying rift amongst the players. Merrett wins the 2019 BnF and is subsequently removed from the leadership group heading into 2020. Saad threatened to blow the whistle if the trade hit a road block and Fantasia said he wasnt going back regardless of being contracted instead preferring to sit out a year.

While I struggle to see Hawthorn or North finishing above Essendon, the Bombers are a good smokey for the spoon.

Essendon's list is fairly cooked but here's a few points to keep things in perspective:
Ambrose is a capable replacement for Hurley - he's just been injured a lot in recent times. But he is a solid lock down defender option when fit. We are also getting Brand this year and probably another KPD/Tall utility such as Reid or Cox in this year's draft. But yes they will take some time to develop.
Our 'oompa loompas' in the midfield actually average more clearances and contested possessions per game than anybody at the Blues besides Cripps.
Parish, Merrett and Shiel would all be Carlton's #2 inside mid statistically. Now of course that could change next season with the development of Setterfield, but Ed Curnow will be 32 years old and he's your #2 right now. You can see the pressure that is putting on Cripps who had a bit of a down year. In fact he got under 20 possessions in eight games last season.
Now you mention we have no notable forwards besides Tippa. But Stringer did kick 33 goals in 19 games in 2019. Curnow's best is 34 goals in 20 games. Stringer's best is 56 goals. Yes I know that was a long time ago, but I think you need some perspective as you seem a bit biased.
Peter wright has kicked 31 goals in 22 games. Harry Mckay's best effort so far is 26 goals in 20 games. Now I am not saying I would take Wright over McKay, but those stats do help put things into perspective.
As for our Rucks, you mention Draper is being 'somewhat serviceable' but I think he will be a lot better than that. He has shown quite a lot for a young ruckman who has only played 8 games of football. He also did an acl in may of 2019, so he didn't even get a real preseason. Considering that and the potential he has already shown, I think his upside is massive.

As for 'rift' among the players that is mostly conjecture. We knew Daniher and Fantasia wanted to leave before Rutten even took over. Fantasia simply wanted to go home to Adelaide. Saad is a big loss, but you take pick 8 for a hbf any day and move on.

North Melbourne will win the wooden spoon next season, but they have enough decent young talent to improve a lot by 2023..

If Jack Gunston or Luke Breust get injured and miss a lot of football next season, we are a good chance to finish bottom.

We have the worst key position and midfield depth in the entire league and our best defender in James Sicily is out for the season.

Our spine next season:

Hartigan, Frost, Omera, O'Brien and Patton- grim!!! Name a team with a worse spine than that......

And there we have it...that’s Gunston out for an extended period of time...sicily and Gunston are our two most important and arguably two best players....

IMG_1880.JPG

The 2021 pool has some of the best midfielders in a while, wooden spoon, bring it on baby...

Imagine beating such a side by a single point, and that being the only reason you finished above them on the ladder.

You'd think Carlton just won the premiership the way you blooos supporters are carrying on.

Mate, it’s sad. Chest beating at it’s finest. Imagine being s**t for 25 years and then having a sniff of decency only to have it all torn away by your pathetic supporter bases dismal humility

Sums up Carlton supporters really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Dees get the spoon next year.

We’ve been such a dismal failure over the last 15 years and I have a feeling the players have had a gut feel of Goodwin and he’s run his race.
Knowing that you have been in that position before will the following things happen.
1:Your supporters to Chear for losses.
2:Your supporters will clear the debt of Victoria by going to Mount Hottem in May knowing your season is over and getting in before the snow starts.
3:Crying that you deserve not only the 1st pick in the draft but a priority pick as well.
Unfortunately none of the above will apply to your club but with a fit BBB playing for you I expect your club to finish anywhere between 8th and 15th as I expect him to kick about 60+ goals and miss out on AA selection by some BS technicality again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve been such a dismal failure over the last 15 years and I have a feeling the players have had a gut feel of Goodwin and he’s run his race.

The Dees are a very curious lot. Could potentially make the top 4 or finish bottom 4 (you have too much talent to win the spoon imo)

I have North and Adelaide bottom 1 and 2 again and am genuinely surprised at the lack of Adelaide votes.

North are the obvious choice to take it out with commitment to a full rebuild.

Like some others I think hawks are a smoky, not 100% sure where their improvement comes from compared to other teams around the same mark.

Rebuild and finishing last are not synonymous.....

probably sydney and hawks.

Reckon Hawthorn are a good bet for the spoon then? They're at pretty high odds.

I think Clarko will find a way to win at least 3 games we shouldn’t, like he does most seasons...I think our line on wins would be 7.5...we will win between 6-8 games and finish bottom 4....I think north and Adelaide both win under 5 games.

My candidates:

Adelaide - Easy nom on the basis of last season, but I just don't really see it. Still a decent middle-tier, and enough top end talent to avoid another 2020. Think they were happy to blood a bunch of younger players last year and will be all the better for it.

Essendon - Probably enough talent to avoid the spoon, but I could see it happening in the right circumstances. Forwardline is still decrepit, they've just lost 2 of their best players in Daniher and Saad and haven't brought in any senior players of note. Probable bottom 4, but will avoid the spoon.

Hawthorn - Also go into next season missing 2 of their best players, and were already in decline. Can't see a Clarko coached team ever winning a spoon, and will resume home games at the MCG which will see them winning enough games to miss the spoon. Bottom 4 possible, but they'll miss the spoon.

North Melbourne - IMO next year will be the year they truly bottom out. I like the way they are piecing their list together, but like Carlton in 2018 their senior depth has thinned and they've lost quality senior players over the off-season (Brown, Higgins). Think they'll turn it around pretty quickly though.

Sydney - Just have a feeling they'll finish bottom 4 again, and I'm not confident on when they'll push up the ladder with the players they have at their disposal. Need some serious growth in Heeney, Mills, Florent etc.

IMO:

14 - Hawthorn
15 - Essendon
16 - Adelaide
17 - Sydney
18 - North Melbourne

Last edited:
Don’t really see the hawks bottoming out to finish last. They do have list issues, but they’ve got some good kids, performing veterans, a great coach and a very proud club (team) culture.

North and Crows are obvious candidates as is Essendon to a lesser extent.

Doubt you will finish last... but reasonable chance Goody won't make it through the season imo.

Adelaide are still serious contenders despite expected sharp improvement from young players. Does Hately automatically replace club champion Brad Crouch? Also Atkins and Hartigan going.

We are relying on the sharp improvement of a Scholl, Fogerty and McAsey mostly. Wayne Milera fit is a class act and future AA club champ IF he can stay on the park. Milera goes down and O'Brien, we are in serious trouble IFA few experienced players miss handfuls of games.

I hope we continue on from that 3 game win streak and enough youth showed enough. But not all is given

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawks are a Monty for me. Essendon not far off them.

Both teams can afford a rebuild and the last thing they need is to finish in that 9th - 12th range.

Very little depth in both teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hawks are a Monty for me. Essendon not far off them.

Both teams can afford a rebuild and the last thing they need is to finish in that 9th - 12th range.

Very little depth in both teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I absolutely see clarko tanking. Hawks been the biggest cheaters of the century. Wouldn't surprise me at all. They will struggle though, I can't see hawks pushing for the 8. Unless the midfield stays fit and healthy, there midfield can be among the better and probably need a forward from somewhere

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back