sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Hawthorn now $10. $18 a week ago
I think they won't finish last, but a very good bet for bottom 4. A worse list than any clubs in recent memory. Having won 3 flags in a row probably causes this ( a lack of picks and too much input in list management given to clarko)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I think they won't finish last, but a very good bet for bottom 4. A worse list than any clubs in recent memory. Having one 3 flags in a row probably causes this ( a lack of picks and too much input in list management given to clarko)
You may need to improve that memory if that is the case.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I think they won't finish last, but a very good bet for bottom 4. A worse list than any clubs in recent memory. Having one 3 flags in a row probably causes this ( a lack of picks and too much input in list management given to clarko)
I wouldn't think dead last either but $18 was silly. $10 is about right. If they lose to Essendon round 1 they'll go shorter again.

Apr 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wouldn't think dead last either but $18 was silly. $10 is about right. If they lose to Essendon round 1 they'll go shorter again.

We lose to Essendon round 1 and we are a lock to be 0-5 to start the season...after the bombers:

Tigers
Cats
Dockers in Perth
Demons

There’s at least 3 x 40+ point losses there.

Still think we win 6 games. North and crows will win 5 max

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
We lose to Essendon round 1 and we are a lock to be 0-5 to start the season...after the bombers:

Tigers
Cats
Dockers in Perth
Demons

There’s at least 3 x 40+ point losses there.

Still think we win 6 games. North and crows will win 5 max
I am hopeful of 6 - but like Hawks we need to win early

benji2

Club Legend
May 19, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Sheffield Wednesday
What odds the Demons having another horror even-numbered year? Hore out for the season, Brown and Weideman with injury issues already

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
What odds the Demons having another horror even-numbered year? Hore out for the season, Brown and Weideman with injury issues already
No team is ‘better’ at hitting rock bottom. However, I suspect there are at least 3-4 teams as s**t/worse that will save our blushes.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Reckon Essendon would be firming, with news that Stringer and Hurley would need to "make dramatic recoveries" from their respective issues (which are both somewhat indefinite) in order to be ready for R1.

Stringer possibly but Hurley hasn’t been a main guy for a while now.

Stringer could only miss a month which obviously sets us back but heading into Anzac Day (rd5) we could feasibly be 2 & 2 with games against Sydney and Hawthorn very plausible winning chances whilst Port and Saints should see us easily accounted for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
No team is ‘better’ at hitting rock bottom. However, I suspect there are at least 3-4 teams as sh*t/worse that will save our blushes.

It’s issues like the Brown & Weidemann one to Melbourne and the one we have to Stringer who both sides will struggle to replace (depth) that holds key for how high they can finish.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Stringer possibly but Hurley hasn’t been a main guy for a while now.

Stringer could only miss a month which obviously sets us back but heading into Anzac Day (rd5) we could feasibly be 2 & 2 with games against Sydney and Hawthorn very plausible winning chances whilst Port and Saints should see us easily accounted for.

I'm not picking Essendon for the spoon anyway, but genuine question - who replaces Hurley? I know he's a shell of his former self, but I was under the impression he's still a pretty vital component of your spine. I can't see who on your list steps in outside of a draftee/fringe player

I'm not picking Essendon for the spoon anyway, but genuine question - who replaces Hurley? I know he's a shell of his former self, but I was under the impression he's still a pretty vital component of your spine. I can't see who on your list steps in outside of a draftee/fringe player
He was supposedly going to be playing forward, where he's no good anyway

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Hooker, he's apparently had his best preseason for years and is a few kg's lighter. I'm not sure Hurley & Hooker can play in the same backline anymore, so if there's only one of the two available that probably works out.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hawks list is the worst and its not close.

North have a reasonable midfield and defense, forward line is major issue in the short term.

Essendon's worst is literally the worst in the league but they generally have some good patches in seasons.

We gave up in games under Worsfold all the time and he always made excuses for the players and then let them all play the next week to respond, he would never drop players. Hopefully that changes going forward.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North have a reasonable midfield and defense, forward line is major issue in the short term.
Completely agree with you on this, mate. Our defence is our most experienced line, led by Tarrant and McDonald, with Corr, Atley, Ben McKay and now Ziebell. We lack a classy speedy half-back -- hopefully it ends up being Flynn Perez -- but otherwise it's quite solid.

I love the midfield that we're building with Simpkin and LDU in particular, but Cunnington, Anderson, Polec, Dumont, Scott, then youth in Phillips and Powell, and a few others means there's actually a bit of depth there too.

But you're right, the forward line is a real worry and I'm concerned about where the goals are coming from. With Ziebell earmarked for a defensive role, it's led by Larkey (22, 29 games, 40 goals), Zurhaar (22, 44 games, 48 goals) and Tarryn Thomas (20, 26 games, 19 goals), with other positions probably taken by the likes of Curtis Taylor (20, 11 games, 5 goals), Jack Mahony (19, 10 games) as well as solid pressure players but not noted goalkickers in Taylor Garner and Kayne Turner, while there might be the odd midfielder that plays there. EDIT: LOL completely forgot Stephenson here. He makes it look better, but is being talked about as a mid/forward for 2021.

The other factor that will determine if we are certs for the spoon will be the fitness of the experienced players, especially Cunnington, Tarrant, and Goldstein. Any combination of those three go down for a significant period of time and it will be tough to see us finish anywhere other than last simply because of how important they are and how little depth there is to replace them (maybe not so much Cunnington in that respect, but we really struggled without his presence in the midfield last year).

Last edited:
Hawks list is the worst and its not close.

Essendon's worst is literally the worst in the league but they generally have some good patches in seasons.
I’ll back Zurhaar Larkey and stevo up front in the short term with Curtis Taylor and Tarryn buzzing around too to get a winning score (hopefully a fit garner also)

I’ll back Zurhaar Larkey and stevo up front in the short term with Curtis Taylor and Tarryn buzzing around too to get a winning score (hopefully a fit garner also)

Can Larkey perform as a #1 target though? Definitely a lot of unknowns regarding our forwardline. If everything somehow clicks up forward, I could see us finishing 9th-14th.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Adelaide have by far the worst list and I find their odds to have the fewest wins to be extraordinary. Their 2020 season despite their three wins in the last month, was one of the worst I’ve ever seen. Were barely competitive and couldn’t run out games in 16 minute quarters even when playing at home (not locked up in hubs). Clubs who played them mid-season used them to rest their aching good players because they knew they were going to win no matter the side they put out.

Then their list actually got worse over the off-season. They only picked up Hately but Crouch left.

Back to 20 minute quarters and no hubs - I’ll be stunned if Adelaide win more than 3 games.
All valid. A lot of the hope is about the external changes ie chairman and new line coaches with solid AFL experience rather than sanfl Godden and Ben Hart

We have the same fitness guy so that is a concern

There seems to be clear direction from the club about what they hope to achieve - hopefully the players take it on board

Back