List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that, but Jesus, pick 21? I'm old enough to remember his old man playing for Sydney. Got bucketloads of the ball like his son. Never kicked it over 30m.
It just had to be their next available pick at the time.

AFL concessions used to be really good. The AFL FS rule used to be a third round pick.

Is Jesse Motlop showing anything at all yet? There may well be none of our academy kids this year even good enough to put on the Cat B rookie list.

I forgot about that. Just looking at the list Elliot Yeo, Freo supporter, went at 30. He would have been handy too. I love hindsight.
Yes... Yeo, Brad Hill and Hamling would have been useful over Sheridan, Crozier and Forster.

But similarly Bootsma, Newman and McInnes would have been worse.

Is Jesse Motlop showing anything at all yet? There may well be none of our academy kids this year even good enough to put on the Cat B rookie list.

Motlop has consistently put up goals at South Freo at Colts level and is pretty dominant at PSA level. My take is that he will be taken by us after pick 40 / Rookie list. IMO Riley Colborne is a raw talent and I would be keen for him to be taken as a Cat B as well, but time will tell.

I’m winged right now so not able to see much local footy so will ask those who are Colt watchers.

Three talls as KPF in WA have taken the Bull by the horns as potential draftees. Not including Bazzo as I see him more comfortable as a KPD.

Jack Williams
Van Rooyen
Jye Amiss

Amiss looks the rawest of talents and not in the standard Development pathway as a junior, from Busselton. But keeps kicking goals each week.

Williams seems to worked his way ahead of VR but is this Illness related?

Asking strengths, weakness, draft potential for Freo.

I’m winged right now so not able to see much local footy so will ask those who are Colt watchers.

Three talls as KPF in WA have taken the Bull by the horns as potential draftees. Not including Bazzo as I see him more comfortable as a KPD.

Jack Williams
Van Rooyen
Jye Amiss

Amiss looks the rawest of talents and not in the standard Development pathway as a junior, from Busselton. But keeps kicking goals each week.

Williams seems to worked his way ahead of VR but is this Illness related?

Asking strengths, weakness, draft potential for Freo.
Draft all of them I say

Found another beauty to keep an eye on ;) His name is Jack Avery. He is 19 yrs, 190 cm and 83 kg. Although he has been playing colts this year he's gotten 26, 39, 41 and 30 disposals in each round respectively. Could be a Chad Warner type of player!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found another beauty to keep an eye on ;) His name is Jack Avery. He is 19 yrs, 190 cm and 83 kg. Although he has been playing colts this year he's gotten 26, 39, 41 and 30 disposals in each round respectively. Could be a Chad Warner type of player!

Don’t hold back, he’s the next Pat Cripps!

Seriously though, he’ll get a chance with someone in the msd one would think.

I'm going to guess you found him with stats and don't realise he is a defender? Avery was perhaps a bit unlucky not to get drafted last year. He used to play for Claremont (so with Joel Western), and was similarly good across half back at Colts level then. He switched to Perth and not surprisingly is dominating and standing out statistically as a 19yo (in a team yet to win a game). He'd no doubt have nominated for the MSD. The problem for him though is he hasn't played senior footy (yet - and why not?), he's in that middling height range, and he had 33 disposals in the Colts Grand Final last year and didn't get picked up (so what's he showing now that he didn't earlier?).

Not sure we need to add another ~190cm defender (without any senior footy experience) to our stockpile. I don't understand the Chad Warner comparison sorry?

Having said all that I haven't seen him play this year (playing for the worst Colts side probably isn't great for his visibility). I really don't get why he isn't being considered to play in the League team that Peel (sans a lot of Freo listed players) beat on the weekend? Really hope he gets a senior debut shortly because I think that will help his MSD cause a lot.

How about we draft a few big strong physical lads with a bit of hardness? A few more like Josh Treacy. We are literally the physically weakest side in the AFL.
58kg Tyrone Thorne is not the answer either.

Whilst I agree that hardness and physicality wouldn’t go astray, I don’t think the lack of those sort of players is our current issue. It’s that we have too many softer players.

Every AFL player is tough, there’s no disputing that, but there are levels of toughness. We currently have a number of players that would sit in the bottom part of the toughness scale and really a team can or should be only playing a maximum of 3 of this sort of player, and they need to have other great attributes to cover their lack of hardness. Ours mostly don’t.

The players that I think fit right into that category are Acres (one of if not the softest players in the AFL), Aish, Tucker, Lobb and Walters. That’s 5 players in our current team! Walters and Lobb arguably make up for it with other elite attributes but not the others. This gives our team a soft underbelly and until we replace most of them with players with even average hardness, we’ll be rightfully perceived as physically weak.

If we were to debut Valente, who would he come in for?
I liked Blakeley's game yesterday but that missed tackle from a guy that is trying to get into the team as a hard nut, ball winning midfielder, is a concern to me. When Valente is ready, he may play that role if Blakely doesn't lift that part of his game. Valente seems to offer everything Blakely does and more.

I liked Blakeley's game yesterday but that missed tackle from a guy that is trying to get into the team as a hard nut, ball winning midfielder, is a concern to me. When Valente is ready, he may play that role if Blakely doesn't lift that part of his game. Valente seems to offer everything Blakely does and more.
Only problem is Brashaw, Cerra, Serong, Mundy and Fyfe have permanent positions. That means Tucker, Acres, Aish and Valente will have to fight it out.

Only problem is Brashaw, Cerra, Serong, Mundy and Fyfe have permanent positions. That means Tucker, Acres, Aish and Valente will have to fight it out.
Cerra comes out sometimes to play wing, Fyfe and Mundy sometimes go forward. Mundy sometimes.plays wing. Serong in my opinion should spend sometime forward and there is rotating off the bench.
Our midfield looks good on paper, but isn't getting the job done against the best midfield's. While conceding that a couple of them are still youngish I don't", actually accept that them having the midfield all to themselves is a given.
I would also like to know the numbers for how many players rotate through other teams midfield compared to us.

We'd have to lose a few more games and hope some of the talls push into the top 5 mix, but Matty Roberts from South Adelaide would be perfect for us. Our young midfield looks good on paper, but Cerra and Brayshaw aren't the types to go forward and get on the scoreboard. Yesterday was promising for Serong, but it's not something he's really shown yet consistently.

Roberts will be the 20 disposal + goal a game half forward/mid we need to finish it off. Like an early days Mitch Duncan before moving into the middle and potentially being the best of them all.

At this stage, it'd be a brave person to put all their eggs into Sam Sturt suddenly being injury free. And I'm sure having someone with talent in the forward half would make our average at best small forwards look a little better too.

Nothing wrong with resting players. Mundy may not be taken on an interstate trip or Serong may be rested as the youngest of that bunch. Or he could be given more time forward replacing someone like Crowden or Schultz.

The thing with Valente is that he has the potential to fill some of the gap we will have when Mundy decides he wants to do something else, like play as a forward.

Valente coming in would be great. Mundy, Fyfe and Serong can play forward a bit and if the phantom is to the level, I will feel better about Mundy's future. I think we are going to be out of the finals race in the next month so we can run with a slightly sub-optimal setup to get some key pieces experience.

I think Valente is a minimum of a month away from AFL fitness and would need string together some good form as well.

Who impressed in WAFL colts round six: Max Chipper, Brady Hough, Blake Morris, Chase Bourne and more
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Mon, 10 May 2021 3:09PMComments
Jordan McArdle

Chase Bourne is part of Fremantle’s NGA.

Chase Bourne is part of Fremantle’s NGA. Credit: Fremantle FC

Blake Morris (Subiaco)
The intercept-marking defender was one of the stand-outs in the Lions’ thrilling six-point win over Claremont in Sunday’s grand final re-match at Leederville Oval.
The 18-year-old barely put a foot wrong, taking six marks, rebounding well off half-back and doing several important things defensively including a goal-saving touch in the third quarter.
Max Chipper (Swan Districts)
Swan Districts coach John Armstrong would be pretty happy Chipper has changed to a non-PSA school to focus on playing WAFL colts.
The hard-running midfielder did it all in the Swans’ hard-fought 14-point win over West Perth in Joondalup.
Chipper racked up a game-high 34 disposals in the engine-room, booted a game-high three goals and was sound defensively.
It was his second 30-plus possession haul in three matches as his draft stocks soar.
Brady Hough (Peel Thunder)
Peel coach Michael Glassborow rates big forward/ruck Luke Polson as his team’s best draft hope this year, but felt Brady Hough was another to keep an eye on.
He’s living up to those expectations to far, forming an integral part of the Thunder midfield since arriving from South West club Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault.
Likened to Collingwood champion Scott Pendlebury, Hough is a prolific ball winner with class and the ability to hit the scoreboard.
The 18-year-old was best-afield against Perth with 23 disposals, eight marks, five inside 50s and three goals.
He’s kicked a least a goal and amassed at least 21 possessions in each of his four matches this year, averaging 22 and two.
Koltyn Tholstrup (Subiaco)
Tholstrup is just 15 years old and won’t be old enough to get drafted until 2023.
After a dominant WAFL futures campaign up forward, the Newtown-Condingup product was rewarded with his colts debut.
The State 17s squad member didn’t let his colts coach Chayce Creedy down, booting three majors and setting up several others in a lively display.
Talon Delacey (Claremont)
The flashy on-baller is putting together an eye-catching season for the Tigers.
Picked up from Claremont’s fruitful Great Southern zone, Delacey has been a consistent contributor since making his debut in the opening round.
He was his side’s best player in a losing cause, amassing 24 possessions, five marks, four tackles and a goal in a well-rounded performance.
His defensive pressure has been excellent and he regularly hits the scoreboard, averaging six tackles and a goal per game to show he’s no one-trick pony.
Chase Bourne (South Fremantle)
There was a lot to like about Chase Bourne’s second game at colts level.
The highly-rated Fremantle Next Generation Academy talent showed why he’s one to watch for next year’s draft.
The 180cm crumbing half-forward booted two goals from 17 disposals as he continues to build form for South Fremantle.
His colts coach Larry Cavallo felt he adjusted to the pace of colts footy well after showing glimpses of his enormous potential on debut the previous week.
Nat Dimanlig (West Perth)
In just his third colts appearance, Dimanlig was given the enormous task of stopping first-round draft fancy Rhett Bazzo.
He kept the Swan Districts forward goalless before earning the praise of his coach Ryan Lasscock.
Lasscock had been super impressed with the 17-year-old’s last six quarters down back after starting as a midfielder.
Injuries to defenders Kane Bevan, Luke Michael and Jye Scender forced Lasscock to think outside of the box.
Harry Quartermaine (Perth)
The powerful Perth forward kept Perth in the match with a goal-kicking masterclass against Peel.
While the Demons are still searching for their first win of the colts season, Quartermaine at least held up his end of the bargain.
He booted five of his team’s seven majors, with the strong hands and deadly accurate set shot the most impressive features of his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back