List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty hard to get drafted if you aren’t in the best 30 in WA, just saying!

Lot of pump.. not a lot of action it would seem!

Not necessarily true because positional requirements influence the distribution of the types of players and hence the opportunities, but take your point.

The NGA apart from Motlop that I think has potential is Riley Colborne; but playing as a sort of raw wing / utility would make it very difficult for a position to compete with established midfielders for a spot in the squad. I would like to think he would still be a chance for the rookie draft; a 190cm player that can run as fast as Joel Western (2.86sec for 20m), jumps high is a useful development type.

Not so much 'young', but we'll have some spots opening up for the mid season draft...

I doubt we'd take any more than one pick, if we even take part. But it'd be interesting if we took the Dillon O'Reilly approach again and went for a 19 year old who may improve. Think Jack Avery would be high on that list, even though it's not at all a position we need. He had some draft interest last year. I personally like Kalin Lane still, and I don't think it'd hurt to have another ruck on the list - he's developing well and I'm sure there'll be teams sniffing around Darcy and Meek come trade time.

Personally, I'd happily pick up Matt Parker from South Fremantle. I thought he was unlucky to be delisted by St Kilda, and he'd definitely be in our AFL side at the moment. Without Sturt, we have no medium forwards at all. Jack Hayes from the SANFL is the other guy who could fill that role, more as a Brody Mihocek type. He'd be odds on to win the Magarey this year, a strong showing against WA on Saturday could have him catch our eye.

The others to watch would be Tyson Stengle and Hayden Sampson. Even with all his baggage, Stengle is arguably the best player outside of the AFL. And Sampson is a guy I've liked for a while, and just gets a little better every year. He's a bit like James Aish, versatile and just plays his role. Can play off either flank or on a wing, I'd have him ahead of Stef Giro and he probably would have gotten games for us this year.

Not so much 'young', but we'll have some spots opening up for the mid season draft...

I doubt we'd take any more than one pick, if we even take part. But it'd be interesting if we took the Dillon O'Reilly approach again and went for a 19 year old who may improve. Think Jack Avery would be high on that list, even though it's not at all a position we need. He had some draft interest last year. I personally like Kalin Lane still, and I don't think it'd hurt to have another ruck on the list - he's developing well and I'm sure there'll be teams sniffing around Darcy and Meek come trade time.

Personally, I'd happily pick up Matt Parker from South Fremantle. I thought he was unlucky to be delisted by St Kilda, and he'd definitely be in our AFL side at the moment. Without Sturt, we have no medium forwards at all. Jack Hayes from the SANFL is the other guy who could fill that role, more as a Brody Mihocek type. He'd be odds on to win the Magarey this year, a strong showing against WA on Saturday could have him catch our eye.

The others to watch would be Tyson Stengle and Hayden Sampson. Even with all his baggage, Stengle is arguably the best player outside of the AFL. And Sampson is a guy I've liked for a while, and just gets a little better every year. He's a bit like James Aish, versatile and just plays his role. Can play off either flank or on a wing, I'd have him ahead of Stef Giro and he probably would have gotten games for us this year.

Was some press that Richmond are looking at taking him back again

I don't understand how Stengle is eligible tbh. My understanding was players aren't technically delisted until the date their contracts expire.

He was sacked by Adelaide this year which is perhaps the difference but I'm not sure what precedent that sets.

I don't understand how Stengle is eligible tbh. My understanding was players aren't technically delisted until the date their contracts expire.

He was sacked by Adelaide this year which is perhaps the difference but I'm not sure what precedent that sets.

It was part of his termination agreement

Clubs are able to recruit any footballer who nominated for the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, or who was delisted at the end of the 2020 season. Any player who was delisted at the end of 2020 cannot be re-selected by the club that delisted them, unless they nominated for the NAB AFL Draft.

Eligibility rule seems pretty clear Stengle shouldn't be eligible. But the AFL are happy to change the rules when it suits them so who knows?

Clubs are able to recruit any footballer who nominated for the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, or who was delisted at the end of the 2020 season. Any player who was delisted at the end of 2020 cannot be re-selected by the club that delisted them, unless they nominated for the NAB AFL Draft.

Eligibility rule seems pretty clear Stengle shouldn't be eligible. But the AFL are happy to change the rules when it suits them so who knows?

Don’t like the precedent it sets tbh.

He acts like a ****head, breaks the law and gets sacked because of it. Yet he’s allowed to be picked up that same season!?

Meanwhile a guy who retired from the AFL last season and didn’t put a foot wrong his whole career isn’t eligible to come back for a 3-4 month stint.

I think allowing players who retired, potentially breaking a contract, to join another club after half a season opens more risk of issue than a player who by mutual agreement had their contract torn up being available in a mid season draft.

I'm not sure there is enough room in the uber for all the baggage Stengle would bring with him.

I think allowing players who retired, potentially breaking a contract, to join another club after half a season opens more risk of issue than a player who by mutual agreement had their contract torn up being available in a mid season draft.

I'm not sure there is enough room in the uber for all the baggage Stengle would bring with him.
Can't agree tbh. Stengle started the season on Adelaide's list which is the main issue I have with the situation.

The rules as I understood them seem to have been changed for a guy sacked for off field reasons. I know it was publicly a mutual decision but he was still sacked imo.

Ultimately this is draft so its difficult for players to get to their club of choice... Well unless their club of choice is North Melbourne that is.

Last edited:
Can't agree tbh. Stengle started the season of Adelaide's list which is the main issue I have with the situation.

The rules seem to have been changed for a guy sacked for off field reasons.

Ultimately this is draft so its difficult for players to get to their club of choice... Well unless their club of choice is North Melbourne that is.
I recognise that having a player on the list this year available for a draft we were told was for players who nominated for the draft last season or were delisted last season doesn't make any sense at all.

Adelaide might have relinquished their right to his contract term, brought in for the Mal Michael rule where he retired to break contract and then was picked up in the next draft, in the settlement to end his time there. Amending his contract to have ended at the end of last season instead and sneaking through on a technicality.

I like Parker but don’t see him getting a game ahead of switta, Shultz, Henry, Sturt, crowden or colyer. Don’t want another player that may be on the chopping block come the end of 2021. If we are going to grab someone make it a young key position player/ruck. Treat it like a rookie pick. Not enough for us to play for in 2021 to top up an area of limited need

I’m not sure we would pick a stop gap 28/29 yo player in Mid Season draft if we had a pick.

More a 21-23yo who has slipped through the cracks. In the mould of a Luke Ryan, Mihocek etc... but they would need to be playing the house down in there respective league, in the same way Liam Ryan did the year he got drafted.

Parker isn’t playing the house down.

We are on record as saying a FWD/Ruck is on the wish list, and might be the sort of thing we look at if one was skipped over in previous drafts as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Parker but don’t see him getting a game ahead of switta, Shultz, Henry, Sturt, crowden or colyer. Don’t want another player that may be on the chopping block come the end of 2021. If we are going to grab someone make it a young key position player/ruck. Treat it like a rookie pick. Not enough for us to play for in 2021 to top up an area of limited need

Well, he’d definitely get a game ahead of Sturt. He’s played 4 games in 3 years because of injury.

I’m not saying Parker is some great player we’re missing out on, just that if we picked up a mature aged guy I’d be considering him. And the whole reason for that is because of the names you listed. We basically have 3 tall forwards and then a bunch of guys sub 180cm.

I think we’d be a better balanced team with one less small and an extra medium sized forward. I certainly don’t think Parker is any worse than the likes of Crowden, Colyer, Schultz and Switkowski.

Thorne watch.

He did tackle Partington just outside forward 50 taking forever to move the ball on and it spilled out and WA scored a goal.

Just got the ball at half forward way out in space and kicked a horrible i50 entry.

Throne just scored one around the body.

On Parker. We have made a conceded effort to get rid of the party boys and build good culture. Is he trouble off the footy field?

Keitel goes back at kicks his fourth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back