List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I'd rather Logue do that and Chapman slot into the third tall spot in the backline for the immediate future.
Of course if it meant him getting game time and experience like our Mundy once did. But he is destined for the midfield where he will shine.

WA under-19s v Perth trial game: Jake South, Eric Benning, Brady Hough, Matt Johnson, Angus Sheldrick and more
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Sat, 31 July 2021 2:29PM
Jordan McArdle

Jake South in action during last year’s colts grand final.

Jake South in action during last year’s colts grand final. Credit: Nic Ellis/The West Australian

Subiaco premiership colt Jake South put his hand up for national under-19s carnival selection with a dominant performance in Saturday’s trial match against Perth at Mineral Resources Park.
South combined so well with his midfield brigade of Angus Sheldrick, Kade Dittmar, Matt Johnson and Neil Erasmus as the State 19s easily accounted for the Demons by 83 points – 13.17 (95) to 1.6 (12).
The 19-year-old impressed with his elite tap work and follow-up around the ground after getting a recall.
Fellow ruck Eric Benning, part of Fremantle’s Next Generation Academy, came to life after half-time up forward with a three-goal second half.
Benning, a Claremont colt from Kununurra, showed a different side to his game with several contested marks inside 50 and a deadly-accurate set shot.
Christ Church captain and Claremont midfield bull Sheldrick was another star of the show continuing his strong series with another eye-catching display.
Sheldrick won plenty of it in the centre and managed to hit the scoreboard when he drifted forward, including a long-range effort on the run in the opening term.
Peel Thunder bolter Brady Hough did some good things, both offensively and defensively.
First-round prospect Matt Johnson wasn’t among the leading ball winners but used it with his trademark silk by foot when he got it.
A couple of classy finishes from Jye Amiss from Jahmal Stretch kick-started WA’s morning, capping off some good work from their midfield brigade.
East Perth sharpshooter Amiss continued his multiple goal trend this season with two majors but was uncharacteristically inaccurate, hitting the post four times.
West Coast Next Generation Academy talent Ethan Regan came to life in the second half, showcasing his overhead prowess and massive tank.
The defence also stood tall when required with Claremont’s Jacob van Rooyen showing promise in his new key back role and Swan Districts/Guildford Grammar stopper Rhett Bazzo also reading the play well.
For the Demons, former league captain Corey Yeo was good in his return from injury as he targets a senior recall for the first time since 2019.
Big-bodied colt Harry Quartermaine was also among the shining lights and Aaron Locicero battled hard down back.
SCOREBOARD
WA U19s 4.2 7.3 10.7 13.17 (95)
Perth 0.1 1.5 1.6 1.6 (12)
GOALS
WA U19s: E Benning 3 E Curley 2 A Sheldrick 2 J Amiss 2 N Erasmus J Stretch K Dittmar E Regan
Perth: J Wilson
BEST
WA U19s: J South A Sheldrick B Hough E Benning E Regan M Johnson K Dittmar R Bazzo N Erasmus
Perth: C Yeo H Quartermaine A Locicero J Peletier

WA under-19s v Perth trial game: Jake South, Eric Benning, Brady Hough, Matt Johnson, Angus Sheldrick and more
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Sat, 31 July 2021 2:29PM
Jordan McArdle

Jake South in action during last year’s colts grand final.

Jake South in action during last year’s colts grand final. Credit: Nic Ellis/The West Australian

Subiaco premiership colt Jake South put his hand up for national under-19s carnival selection with a dominant performance in Saturday’s trial match against Perth at Mineral Resources Park.
South combined so well with his midfield brigade of Angus Sheldrick, Kade Dittmar, Matt Johnson and Neil Erasmus as the State 19s easily accounted for the Demons by 83 points – 13.17 (95) to 1.6 (12).
The 19-year-old impressed with his elite tap work and follow-up around the ground after getting a recall.
Fellow ruck Eric Benning, part of Fremantle’s Next Generation Academy, came to life after half-time up forward with a three-goal second half.
Benning, a Claremont colt from Kununurra, showed a different side to his game with several contested marks inside 50 and a deadly-accurate set shot.
Christ Church captain and Claremont midfield bull Sheldrick was another star of the show continuing his strong series with another eye-catching display.
Sheldrick won plenty of it in the centre and managed to hit the scoreboard when he drifted forward, including a long-range effort on the run in the opening term.
Peel Thunder bolter Brady Hough did some good things, both offensively and defensively.
First-round prospect Matt Johnson wasn’t among the leading ball winners but used it with his trademark silk by foot when he got it.
A couple of classy finishes from Jye Amiss from Jahmal Stretch kick-started WA’s morning, capping off some good work from their midfield brigade.
East Perth sharpshooter Amiss continued his multiple goal trend this season with two majors but was uncharacteristically inaccurate, hitting the post four times.
West Coast Next Generation Academy talent Ethan Regan came to life in the second half, showcasing his overhead prowess and massive tank.
The defence also stood tall when required with Claremont’s Jacob van Rooyen showing promise in his new key back role and Swan Districts/Guildford Grammar stopper Rhett Bazzo also reading the play well.
For the Demons, former league captain Corey Yeo was good in his return from injury as he targets a senior recall for the first time since 2019.
Big-bodied colt Harry Quartermaine was also among the shining lights and Aaron Locicero battled hard down back.
SCOREBOARD
WA U19s 4.2 7.3 10.7 13.17 (95)
Perth 0.1 1.5 1.6 1.6 (12)
GOALS
WA U19s: E Benning 3 E Curley 2 A Sheldrick 2 J Amiss 2 N Erasmus J Stretch K Dittmar E Regan
Perth: J Wilson
BEST
WA U19s: J South A Sheldrick B Hough E Benning E Regan M Johnson K Dittmar R Bazzo N Erasmus
Perth: C Yeo H Quartermaine A Locicero J Peletier
Welcome to Cat B Eric Benning :)

The NGA isn't that hands-on obviously...

What's his heritage?

I can’t answer your question but my understanding that as he is from the Kimberley region we can match any bid after 20 if it comes to that. There’s been little talk about him so far so he probably ends up a Category B rookie for us tbh. Given how long it generally takes rucks to develop having him essentially outside the list is ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say some of the heritage links in the NGA are a bit sketchy. My nephews qualified because even though they’re Aussie af their dad is Québécois.

But the more opportunities for everyone the better I guess.

Benning sounds like a likely sort. 196cm and good kick it seems.

He probably will not last past pick 40 if he is any good as this is a draft bereft of good talls.

Screw the AFL and its manipulations. Other clubs merrily draft father/sons without restrictions while clubs like Freo get any advantage ripped out from under their feet.

Would not surprise me at all if the AFL changed the academy rules as they knew there was some serious talent locked away which they wanted to make available for the big clubs.

End of Rant.

He probably will not last past pick 40 if he is any good as this is a draft bereft of good talls.

Screw the AFL and its manipulations. Other clubs merrily draft father/sons without restrictions while clubs like Freo get any advantage ripped out from under their feet.

Would not surprise me at all if the AFL changed the academy rules as they knew there was some serious talent locked away which they wanted to make available for the big clubs.

End of Rant.

Benning only has to last past pick 20.

End of Rant.

Let us be real here for a second; no one is expecting him to be a Top 40. He has had the odd useful game as a utility tall but hasn't really put consistent performances on the board; he has kicked 3 goals in 8 games at WAFL colts level this year so he is not regularly challenging the scoreboards. At ~196cm and with only +20 HO twice in the 8 games he is also not a contender as a permanent ruck either.

Also as Docker82 points out, we can match after Pick 20 not 40 because he is regional, but to be honest if someone came in with a bid in the Top 40 I really would question why we would be matching.

Let us be real here for a second; no one is expecting him to be a Top 40. He has had the odd useful game as a utility tall but hasn't really put consistent performances on the board; he has kicked 3 goals in 8 games at WAFL colts level this year so he is not regularly challenging the scoreboards. At ~196cm and with only +20 HO twice in the 8 games he is also not a contender as a permanent ruck either.

Also as Docker82 points out, we can match after Pick 20 not 40 because he is regional, but to be honest if someone came in with a bid in the Top 40 I really would question why we would be matching.

Who would you be picking if you needed a ruckman very late in the draft, South or Benning?

I see Motlop had 9 touches and no goals in south freo demolition of peel the other day.
Anyone see how he played? Maybe the hype is dampening a bit.

Manfred Kelly played and had 15 disposals. Former NGA of ours I think?

I see Motlop had 9 touches and no goals in south freo demolition of peel the other day.
Anyone see how he played? Maybe the hype is dampening a bit.

Manfred Kelly played and had 15 disposals. Former NGA of ours I think?

As the probably only person on here that has seen all 3 of Motlop's games in the league side, I think he is being massively overrated based on 1 game. He did nothing against Subi and was largely invisible against Peel. I said after his debut to not get caught up in the hype and see how he goes in the next few games but people like to blow their load early on here.

Manfred Kelly, however, continues to impress me everytime I see him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back