List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
For sure. But they need them successful and in their ignorance, draft picks seem their go to fix.
I’d rather they lifted their salary cap (with conditions) than gave them more picks. Retention is the issue there, not acquisition of talent.
Oh, and the coach seems a bit of a spud too

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’d rather they lifted their salary cap (with conditions) than gave them more picks. Retention is the issue there, not acquisition of talent.
Oh, and the coach seems a bit of a spud too
How about this as assistance from the AFL if GWS finish bottom 4 this year for the first time in several seasons....

Nothing.
Absolutely ******* nothing but their normal first round pick.
Just like the rest of us.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
How about this as assistance from the AFL if GWS finish bottom 4 this year for the first time in several seasons....

Nothing.
Absolutely ******* nothing but their normal first round pick.
Just like the rest of us.
Yes that would be the ideal and fair scenario. I’m not sure the AFL will play it that way though. They’ve invested a lot into footy in NSW and to see the wheels falling off now would be alarming to them. They can’t count on the Giants’ rusted on fan base to endure disappointment year after year and keep coming back for more like us good ol Freo supporters.

Inb4 3 of them go on to kick 500+ AFL goals and we don't draft any of them.
More likely we spend our top pick on ONE of them and he's the only one of McDonald, Georgiades and the others drafted to go nowhere...

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I see Winder kicked 5 goals for the Eagles WAFL at the weekend. I’ll be annoyed if he turns out to be a gun at pick 58 and Western and Walker don’t make it. We could use a goal kicking small forward.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I see Winder kicked 5 goals for the Eagles WAFL at the weekend. I’ll be annoyed if he turns out to be a gun at pick 58 and Western and Walker don’t make it. We could use a goal kicking small forward.
You could say the same about O Driscoll.
We had a chance to add depth to the forward line with goal scorers
and waited till the rookie draft😜
WC have so many that I suspect Waterman maybe gettable?
Yes I know he is not a KPF, but adds to the recipe of something that looks like scoring.
10-12 goals a game is not going to win you many games.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd

How did Zane Trew go? Heard he’s a gun and am not surprised the Eagles picked him up after Sumich’s comments.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
How did Zane Trew go? Heard he’s a gun and am not surprised the Eagles picked him up after Sumich’s comments.
Not great from what I watched - butchered the ball at least 5 times that I saw. But like O'Driscoll, needs to be given more time to settle into senior footy. Winder kicked 5 but almost all of those were out the back gimmes. It certainly wasn't anything like watching Sturt got to work to kick his 5. I was surprised WC were even in that game because when I was watching Perth were dominating them.

People complaining about not getting Brockman as well but he was a bit of a liability for Hawthorn on the weekend. All these guys can football but we'll need to see a lot more to know whether they have what it takes for AFL careers.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He finished with 24 disposals....not sure how effective they were but on the surface it sounds a reasonable effort in a losing team.
He is an accumulator. Disposal has always been his issue. Plus a number of recruiters concerned about his attitude. He was passed over by everyone in the main draft.

Winder is a talent and had a large draft range if I remember correctly but was not in the early second round calculations that OD was rated. We were delighted to be able to select Walker with pick 50.

With regards to OD I thought he was a wing / HBF. Almost certain he played Wing for Perth league last year. He has had a very interrupted pre-season.

OD draft combine testing had him fourth in agility 8.12 ahead of Winder 8.18. Winder has him covered for speed with 2.873 vs 2.93. But good endurance for OD.

“O’Driscoll finished in the top 10 for the 2km (6 minutes 23 seconds) and 8th in the 20 metres (2.93 seconds) increasing his potential to match it athletically with players at the AFL level,” Sheehan said.

Anyway I don’t understand the comparisons between OD and Winder.

Winder and Western maybe.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
With regards to OD I thought he was a wing / HBF. Almost certain he played Wing for Perth league last year. He has had a very interrupted pre-season.
Started as a defender, then moved to midfield as a junior. As a bottom ager he played u18s wing/mid (Robertson played as the main inside mid for WA) but at Colts and in u18s in his draft year he played inside mid. Then playing senior footy for Perth he played mostly wing but had stints on ball and didn't look overawed at all.

I've watched a fair bit of him and think the long game is definitely as an inside mid (because he is a work horse and can win plenty of the ball) but can see him being used on the wing and perhaps half back as he develops. Like most of these types his disposal needs tidying up. His advantage over guys like Robertson and Trew is his speed. Not sure we'll see him at AFL level this year but a year of WAFL to develop him is probably what he needs anyway.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Logan Young

Attachments

• ACB913F7-EB4E-4ECB-9630-19CA720AABC7.png
    ACB913F7-EB4E-4ECB-9630-19CA720AABC7.png
    827.3 KB · Views: 126

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Herald sun today reporting that several recruiters are now saying Nick Daicos is the clear No 1 pick at this point after his performance at the weekend.
strong expectation that whoever ends up with the No 1 pick will force Collingwood to match the bid at pick one. Mould was broken by Adelaide last year and no longer a major issue for clubs to bid at pick 1. Interesting also that Daicos turned 18 on 3rd January and so missed out on 2020 draft by three days

Herald sun today reporting that several recruiters are now saying Nick Daicos is the clear No 1 pick at this point after his performance at the weekend.
strong expectation that whoever ends up with the No 1 pick will force Collingwood to match the bid at pick one. Mould was broken by Adelaide last year and no longer a major issue for clubs to bid at pick 1. Interesting also that Daicos turned 18 on 3rd January and so missed out on 2020 draft by three days
And Collingwood have picks #37, #41, #45 and #48

Worth 1,544 points. They need 2400 for a pick #1 match.

So they need an extra pick #21

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

They will probably trade a future second rounder or something for some more late picks in this draft. Wonder if the AFL will reintroduce the rule of only using as many picks as you have vacant list spaces to match bids this year. They removed it last year due to list size uncertainty. Would be good for the rest of the comp.
Pies won’t care anyway if Daicos is as good as everyone says he is.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Our first next year for their first and second.

if I understand correctly, the excess points would then come from later picks next year, but they would still have the first round pick (ours) afl require.

They will probably trade a future second rounder or something for some more late picks in this draft. Wonder if the AFL will reintroduce the rule of only using as many picks as you have vacant list spaces to match bids this year. They removed it last year due to list size uncertainty. Would be good for the rest of the comp.
Pies won’t care anyway if Daicos is as good as everyone says he is.
I think they should allow clubs to carry as many picks as they want into the draft for points, personally.
Then clubs like Sydney and GWS can trade their first round picks for later picks and non academy clubs get some wins out of the academy system.

**** I hope we get some outrageous F/S at some point (soon). Preferably when we are already top 4.

Imagine 2 x Pav F/S that are essentially clones of dad and we get them with picks after 20.
By that time, the Father Son rule might have been changed to only allow priority access when the player is bid on after pick #20.

But yes. There are four Haydens, Pav has Jack and Will, Dave's boys Finn and Hudson.

We also need to push for Mother/Son qualifications so Kiara Bowers' son can feature in the AFL side. The games threshold would need to be agreed to.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
By that time, the Father Son rule might have been changed to only allow priority access when the player is bid on after pick #20.

But yes. There are four Haydens, Pav has Jack and Will, Dave's boys Finn and Hudson.

We also need to push for Mother/Son qualifications so Kiara Bowers' son can feature in the AFL side. The games threshold would need to be agreed to.

And then they will revisit it and change it back when Collingwood's next F/S prodigy comes along.

I’d like to see clubs forced to use a pick in the same round as the bid. (As well as other picks to make up the points) .

as an example last year, Sydney would have had to have had an extra 1st round pick for Campbell, and clubs may have kept them honest with gulden as well .

means we probably wouldn’t have had Henry, but wouldn’t have burnt the extra picks either when the bid came early

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

Doesn't JL also have a couple of sons?

Back