Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watched 15 min or so. Hard to take much from this. Geelong VFL are light years ahead in terms of structure, physical conditioning etc. AFL academy can barely get the ball inside 50. Horne looks about the liveliest of them. VanRooyen is a bit one paced?

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watched 15 min or so. Hard to take much from this. Geelong VFL are light years ahead in terms of structure, physical conditioning etc. AFL academy can barely get the ball inside 50. Horne looks about the liveliest of them. VanRooyen is a bit one paced?
I agree I watched about 15 minutes too and the difference in level between the teams made the academy kids look like mud.

Hard to watch a bunch of kids play a bunch of afl listed players.

Agree on Van Rooyen, looks slow and immobile (but what do I know) and yeah hard to take much out of it. Erasmus has probably been a stand out for WA

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Horne really good. Erasmus good. Johnson been ok. Williams ok. If Daicos would run both ways he'd be good - just refuses to pick up his man nor does he go in to tackle in the contest.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
Horne really good. Erasmus good. Johnson been ok. Williams ok. If Daicos would run both ways he'd be good - just refuses to pick up his man nor does he go in to tackle in the contest.
It’s not going to happen but how good would Horne look in Purple

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really don't see the point of flying in a bunch of random under 19yo players who haven't played together before to take on a VFL team made up of a heap of AFL listed players. Forwards have rarely seen it. Thought the format where they split the academy into two teams to play each other worked much better. Maybe do the VFL/WAFL/SANFL thing once they've played with other a few times.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Turned it on in the 4th, saw the score and Sam Simpson waltz through congestion and snap a goal like he was peak Gaz and turned it off.

Didn't expect them to win but I thought they'd be more competitive than this. What a waste of time.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watched chunks of it - an eye opening experience. Academy side were totally out of their depth. Fringe Geelong players looking like Chris Judd at his peak.
Horne was pretty much the only player who played near the required intensity for this level.
Josh Rachele showed flashes of clsss. Would we hard to pass on him if he fell to our pick somehow.
Erasmus probably the best of the WA boys, Johnson was ok at times.
Van Rooyen looked slowish and would be a long term project I reckon. TBH Williams looked as good if not better. Hard day for forwards though given their midfield was obliterated.
Sonsie was a top 3 chance and apparently playing - I didn’t see him get a single touch. Maybe he was a late withdrawal?
Daicos - yeah he’s classy. Similar to the brother at Collingwood. Bazzo had a tough day. Fahey from GWS academy was decent.
Overall I thought the gulf in conditioning, pace power and decision making between the two sides was stark, from the parts I watched.

I can’t help thinking how well Josh Treacy is going to be playing his third AFL game despite being only 6-8 months older than many of these boys.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
Really don't see the point of flying in a bunch of random under 19yo players who haven't played together before to take on a VFL team made up of a heap of AFL listed players. Forwards have rarely seen it. Thought the format where they split the academy into two teams to play each other worked much better. Maybe do the VFL/WAFL/SANFL thing once they've played with other a few times.

I think it’s a good experience for the kids but not much else. At least enlighten them just how fast AFL is compared to the lower levels.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Disappointing stuff but for a group that's been together for 72 hours, and with a few players out of position (Matthew Roberts in a forward pocket for one), I think this was the expected result

Rachele is a gun, I already had him high up on my board but he deserves to stay there. Would love him at our first

Erasmus very good, probably on track to be a late first round-early second round pick now.

Finn Callaghan showed some flashes today, his run and carry is top notch and there were a few instances of it translating to this level. He's one I like for us as an outside midfielder.

Bazzo was fine today, not his best game, would have liked to see him tried forward however.

Horne and Daicos playing as expected, it'll be a battle between those two for pick 1.

Overall, not much to take out of today, but there's a few things that will move kids around draft boards (Rachele's effort in the last half, Erasmus playing great despite being played out of position).

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Finn Callaghan showed some flashes today, his run and carry is top notch and there were a few instances of it translating to this level. He's one I like for us as an outside midfielder.
I didn't catch the whole game but thought his disposal was terrible today from what I did see. Still cringing from one of his kicks to Daicos out on the wing under limited pressure. In fairness, he wasn't alone... Not sure we learnt anything from that game - other than talent alone certainly doesn't equate to winning.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
I didn't catch the whole game but thought his disposal was terrible today from what I did see. Still cringing from one of his kicks to Daicos out on the wing under limited pressure. In fairness, he wasn't alone... Not sure we learnt anything from that game - other than talent alone certainly doesn't equate to winning.
He definitely had a few bad kicks, but I thought some of his kicks weren't really capitalised on by his team mates. It was definitely Finn's worst of his past month but I wouldn't call it a bad game in comparison to others

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
I agree I watched about 15 minutes too and the difference in level between the teams made the academy kids look like mud.

Hard to watch a bunch of kids play a bunch of afl listed players.
I've seen enough of Van Rooyen to know he's not one paced. A bunch of 17 and 18 year olds would probably struggle against A grade amateurs, let along a VFL, WAFL or SANFL side.

Back