List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m actually of the opinion we need mids more than forwards. Fyfe and Mundy won’t play forever.

Taking away anyone 29 or older.

Mids: (Mundy, Fyfe), Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Acres, Aish, Tucker, Bewley, Blakeley, Valente, NOD, Giro

Forwards: (Walters, Colyer), Taberner, Lobb, Treacey, Sturt, Henry, Switta, Frederick, Schultz, Crowden, Western, Banfield…

We need 1 tall / medium forward, plus Motlop. Then I feel we pretty sorted up front.

If Cerra leaves our midfield is cooked post Fyfe / Mundy.

I think the quality needs to be taken into consideration as well - I don't agree totally with it but some people on this board often say in terms of quality we have Treacy and Henry forward and that's it. As 007 has said, if you do it as 28 or over then Taberner disappears from the Forwards group. I like Sturt but he is not looking good in terms of durability. Compare this with the midfield, most people will rate Brayshaw, Serong and Cerra, Aish and Tucker are handy and generally clean users, Valente is a quality user but has Sturt like concerns - there is a bit more to work with there.

I think we also need to take into consideration migration from defence into the midfield into the midfield equation as I think there are real question marks as to whether Young stays there or move into the midfield if Cerra goes. Whilst Fyfe is a superhero and clearance beast, the clearance side looks generally covered in the growth of Brayshaw and Serong, who are still both only on about 3/4 game time. Mundy is the big loss with his kicking (particularly if Cerra goes), but one potential solution given we have lots of quality HB options is that Young moves to a Wing (where Longmuir had him playing last season before he got injured) and then potentially into the midfield proper. We lose size as well, but surely that is why we brought in a player like NOD? The compensation for Cerra going probably also goes to addressing skill via the draft.

You can also look at the list requirements from this perspective as well; we have had arguably some awesome, experienced midfielders over the last five years but gone absolutely nowhere since around the time of when Pavlich has retired - does this speak to a general imbalance already existing in the list lineup particularly where the forward line is concerned?

I agree that the midfield area is not an area that we should ignore, but I still think the first pick will be best available (which may be a midfielder).

Everything I see / read about Peel indicates he's too good for state league already and has development to improve greatly. Seems like a good time for North/Geelong to dangle a carrot and get him on the cheap. Geelong in particular could almost guarantee him best 22 status and a shot at a flag.
Can't agree with this Snuff - I think he is a good WAFL ruckman, but certainly not the best running around. I thought Corey Gault got the better of him against Swan Districts and nobody picked Gault up for free in the MSD.

Whoever the backup ruck is, someone is going to have to be playing at Peel - if Meek goes and we get someone else they will be in exactly the same boat so why would they not leave? I feel as if Lloyd has worked really hard to get where he is, and he is now an injury to Darcy or Lobb away from playing AFL.

I’m actually of the opinion we need mids more than forwards. Fyfe and Mundy won’t play forever.

Taking away anyone 29 or older.

Mids: (Mundy, Fyfe), Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Acres, Aish, Tucker, Bewley, Blakeley, Valente, NOD, Giro…

Forwards: (Walters, Colyer), Taberner, Lobb, Treacey, Sturt, Henry, Switta, Frederick, Schultz, Crowden, Western, Banfield…

We need 1 tall / medium forward, plus Motlop. Then I feel we pretty sorted up front.

If Cerra leaves our midfield is cooked post Fyfe / Mundy.

Tabs and Lobb need to have their eventual replacements on the books ASAP. Some of the others are no good.

I look at our future forward stocks and all I see are Treacy, Sturt, Henry, Freddy and Western. One is injury prone. And none have a body of work behind them. The smaller three can be part of the midfield rotation.

We should draft as much forward talent as possible. Look at the WA U/18 side as an example. I'd be trying to draft 4 of them (or similar from east). I would be trading our 2022 1st to get into the mid teens for this draft and hope that allows us to get 2 out of Erasmus/JVR/Williams. Then take Motlop. Take someone like Amiss late.

If Cerra leaves, that changes things. Can still do the above, but add an extra midfielder to replace Cerra.

Can't agree with this Snuff - I think he is a good WAFL ruckman, but certainly not the best running around. I thought Corey Gault got the better of him against Swan Districts and nobody picked Gault up for free in the MSD.

Whoever the backup ruck is, someone is going to have to be playing at Peel - if Meek goes and we get someone else they will be in exactly the same boat so why would they not leave? I feel as if Lloyd has worked really hard to get where he is, and he is now an injury to Darcy or Lobb away from playing AFL.
You’d definitely know more than me with regards to WAFL players so I’m not going to argue there.

Meek is stuck behind the best young ruck in the comp and has already shown he can at least compete at AFL level. I assume other clubs would be in his ear and if I’m him I’m confident in my own ability and I want to play AFL. No way I’m banking on an injury and signing on if I’m him.

As for his replacement being stuck at Peel well I don’t think we’d be replacing him with anything outside a kid or state level depth player so I don’t think that’s an applicable issue.

I don’t want to lose Meek, I’d like to sign him for four years on like 200k as he’s awesome depth, just expecting him to be pinched

I think the quality needs to be taken into consideration as well - I don't agree totally with it but some people on this board often say in terms of quality we have Treacy and Henry forward and that's it. As 007 has said, if you do it as 28 or over then Taberner disappears from the Forwards group. I like Sturt but he is not looking good in terms of durability. Compare this with the midfield, most people will rate Brayshaw, Serong and Cerra, Aish and Tucker are handy and generally clean users, Valente is a quality user but has Sturt like concerns - there is a bit more to work with there.

I think we also need to take into consideration migration from defence into the midfield into the midfield equation as I think there are real question marks as to whether Young stays there or move into the midfield if Cerra goes. Whilst Fyfe is a superhero and clearance beast, the clearance side looks generally covered in the growth of Brayshaw and Serong, who are still both only on about 3/4 game time. Mundy is the big loss with his kicking (particularly if Cerra goes), but one potential solution given we have lots of quality HB options is that Young moves to a Wing (where Longmuir had him playing last season before he got injured) and then potentially into the midfield proper. We lose size as well, but surely that is why we brought in a player like NOD? The compensation for Cerra going probably also goes to addressing skill via the draft.

You can also look at the list requirements from this perspective as well; we have had arguably some awesome, experienced midfielders over the last five years but gone absolutely nowhere since around the time of when Pavlich has retired - does this speak to a general imbalance already existing in the list lineup particularly where the forward line is concerned?

I agree that the midfield area is not an area that we should ignore, but I still think the first pick will be best available (which may be a midfielder).

Really like the idea of Young in the midfield either as Cerra or pseudo Mundy replacement.
Good size, aggression at the contest and elite disposal - not wasted off half back but could be so damaging from a centre clearance.
Terrific in the air also.
For those of us who watched Clark in the WAFL league team and finals a couple of years ago, I wouldn’t read too much into him not getting a game at age long at the moment. Clark is breaks the lines with carry, is smart and assured with the ball- it’s just at present there are a couple of AA’s keeping him out of the team as Geelong has loaded up while Hawkins is still firing - a bit of last chance saloon at “The Cattery”.
Clark would be a great pick up.

Really like the idea of Young in the midfield either as Cerra or pseudo Mundy replacement.
Good size, aggression at the contest and elite disposal - not wasted off half back but could be so damaging from a centre clearance.
For those of us who watched Clark in the WAFL league team and finals a couple of years ago, I wouldn’t read too much into him not getting a game at age long at the moment. Clark is breaks the lines with carry, is smart and assured with the ball- it’s just at present there are a couple of AA’s keeping him out of the team as Geelong has loaded up while Hawkins is still firing - a bit of last chance saloon at “The Cattery”.
What’s the point in Clark, when WC will trump us for any quality player interested in coming home?
Unless Cerra is leaving?
They manage their funds very well and unlike us can just outbid our amount?
WC need mids, don’t have any interstate players leaving, they hardly lose anybody.
It’s the draft or bust I’m afraid if it’s between the two clubs.

He has all the talent you could want but he still can't put together a consistent performance at AFL level. It might just be development taking time but Geelong has had Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola etc all out at various times and he still hasn't played with regularity (he's been sub a bit).

As long as we're happy this is all just natural development is fine but I'd want to be sure it wasn't an attitude issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has all the talent you could want but he still can't put together a consistent performance at AFL level. It might just be development taking time but Geelong has had Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola etc all out at various times and he still hasn't played with regularity (he's been sub a bit).

As long as we're happy this is all just natural development is fine but I'd want to be sure it wasn't an attitude issue.

I was of the understanding that he’s not a great trainer. May not be as fit as he needs to be.

JVR finally makes Twomey's Draft Team of the Year but only on the interchange :) If you take away the frothing over Luke Darcy's son almost solely because he is Luke Darcy's son then Twomey's best forward line really could be (and should be) 5 WA boys out of 7.

DraftTeamOfTheYear.jpg

I agree and think Meek is a good back up ruck. Anytime we have an injury (which is often) we know we have him sitting in the wings ready to do the job probably as well as any of the 'waiting' rucks in the comp (comparing him to first string rucks is stupid). We should do what we can to keep that injury insurance.

JVR finally makes Twomey's Draft Team of the Year but only on the interchange :) If you take away the frothing over Luke Darcy's son almost solely because he is Luke Darcy's son then Twomey's best forward line really could be (and should be) 5 WA boys out of 7.

DraftTeamOfTheYear.jpg
yeah, if we don't draft one of those WA tall forwards, I will be pi55ed.

DraftTeamOfTheYear.jpg
Geez we are going to be spoilt for choice in terms of WA forward talent to overlook this year.

Should generate a bunch of trade talk on here in 18 months too.

Geez we are going to be spoilt for choice in terms of WA forward talent to overlook this year.

Should generate a bunch of trade talk on here in 18 months too.
This just reinforces my opinion that we should let Ciark go this year and keep as much draft capital as possible.

The knightmare scenario is we trade Clark for a second round pick and one of these talls slides to that pick, and Clark turns out to be Kersten V2.

This just reinforces my opinion that we should let Ciark go this year and keep as much draft capital as possible.

The knightmare scenario is we trade Clark for a second round pick and one of these talls slides to that pick, and Clark turns out to be Kersten V2.

Too right. Clark isn't an absolute need, and we need a broad draft hand this year.

Not so concerned about 2nd round talls. I'd be more flat missing Erasmus or someone like that there (although seems unlikely he lasts that long).

I just can't wait for draft night. We are either going to take a WA tall forward or this place is going to have some world class melts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back