List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

As the probably only person on here that has seen all 3 of Motlop's games in the league side, I think he is being massively overrated based on 1 game. He did nothing against Subi and was largely invisible against Peel. I said after his debut to not get caught up in the hype and see how he goes in the next few games but people like to blow their load early on here.

Manfred Kelly, however, continues to impress me everytime I see him.

Was Conca on him?

As the probably only person on here that has seen all 3 of Motlop's games in the league side, I think he is being massively overrated based on 1 game. He did nothing against Subi and was largely invisible against Peel. I said after his debut to not get caught up in the hype and see how he goes in the next few games but people like to blow their load early on here.

I want him, but not with our first two picks. That is, until I hear someone like you telling us to grab him.

“Benning, a Claremont colt from Kununurra, showed a different side to his game with several contested marks inside 50 and a deadly-accurate set shot.”

Hnnnng

If Benning is bid on at pick 41 or later we don't match at all, it's our next pick secures the player, any next pick. We have no next pick so it would be round 5, and thats fine.

He will most likely be a category B

Benning is from the Kimberly NGA so assume after Pick 20 we can match, although I think he will go through to the Cat B Rookie.

I really rate Manfred Kelly. He is built for AFL. Very mature body for a 19yo. Looks durable. And his current moustache makes him look like a young Carl Weathers. And he oozes that Apollo Creed charisma. Loves to celebrate a goal. Haha. Would make a good small forward/mid. Worth a look for sure.

Benning is from the Kimberly NGA so assume after Pick 20 we can match, although I think he will go through to the Cat B Rookie.

I should be more clear, if Benning is bid on at 21+ we can match that with points from our remaining picks. If he is bid on 41+ we can match that bid with our next pick, no matter what it is.

So if we go into the draft pick a first round, second round, fifth round and sixth round then we use our first and second selecting players, if our academy players are then bid on at pick #45 and #48 we pick them up with a fifth round pick, then a sixth round pick. Turning both into late 2nd/3rd round picks.

I really rate Manfred Kelly. He is built for AFL. Very mature body for a 19yo. Looks durable. And his current moustache makes him look like a young Carl Weathers. And he oozes that Apollo Creed charisma. Loves to celebrate a goal. Haha. Would make a good small forward/mid. Worth a look for sure.

I agree but I would like to see another season of consistent WAFL footy from him first. I also don't rate him as a small forward. To me he is a half forward/wing kind of player. He has good skills and is ridiculously quick. Let him run.

Important to note Manfred has two years on Jesse.

The hype train certainly left the station after Motlop's 2 goals on debut but I think you've got to give some credit to an undersized 17yo even being selected to play league let alone having an impact. I've been following him for a long while (seen him play at PSA, Colts and League). He's too good for PSA/Colts but people shouldn't expect him slotting into AFL and making an immediate impact either. He is one of the few small forwards in the draft with genuine goal nous (and he's pretty solid defensively as well). So many "half forward/wing" prospects that look great but we already have half a dozen of them on our list. We desperately need some forwards that can impact deep forward - Motlop is one of those (if given a little bit of time to develop).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Important to note Manfred has two years on Jesse.

The hype train certainly left the station after Motlop's 2 goals on debut but I think you've got to give some credit to an undersized 17yo even being selected to play league let alone having an impact. I've been following him for a long while (seen him play at PSA, Colts and League). He's too good for PSA/Colts but people shouldn't expect him slotting into AFL and making an immediate impact either. He is one of the few small forwards in the draft with genuine goal nous (and he's pretty solid defensively as well). So many "half forward/wing" prospects that look great but we already have half a dozen of them on our list. We desperately need some forwards that can impact deep forward - Motlop is one of those (if given a little bit of time to develop).
Have you seen him play PSA this year? In the games I’ve watched I wouldn’t have thought he is too good for PSA. Interesting observation. Would like to see him in an U19 game comparing him to his peers to get a real gauge.

Have you seen him play PSA this year? In the games I’ve watched I wouldn’t have thought he is too good for PSA. Interesting observation. Would like to see him in an U19 game comparing him to his peers to get a real gauge.
Basing it on last year as he hasn't played that much PSA this year - and when he did he was carrying a shoulder injury from memory. If you can kick 11 goals in a single game as a bottom ager that normally means you are too good for the level - especially if you kick similar bags more than once.

Basing it on last year as he hasn't played that much PSA this year - and when he did he was carrying a shoulder injury from memory. If you can kick 11 goals in a single game as a bottom ager that normally means you are too good for the level - especially if you kick similar bags more than once.

He has been very average this year in the PSA games I’ve seen. They played him forward and he struggled to kick a goal and then they moved him to the middle and not much better. And to my knowledge he wasn’t injured. He was much better last year so that is a bit strange. If you are too good in bottom aged year, you would expect someone to continue with that form and he didn’t.

Might of been mentioned before, but I see Freo Academy squad youngster Tristan Jacques has come out of "retirement" and playing footy in the ammo's with Willeton, to suit up for SF colts. At 195cm, Jacques is a former U/16 state player with other Gero youngsters in McVee and Bartlett a few years back. Whilst great to see Jacques back in the WAFL fold, disappointing to see he has decided to leave EF to play at SF to do so.

PSA footy: Tony Ghiselli, Riley Sprigg, Chase Ridley, Angus Laurisson and more impress in round 12
Jordan McArdle and Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Thu, 5 August 2021 3:12PM

Angus Laurisson was among the best for Guildford.

Angus Laurisson was among the best for Guildford. Credit: Daniel Wilkins/The Sunday Times

Riley Sprigg (Wesley)
The in-form Wesley ruckman set up their stunning three-point win over PSA powerhouse Aquinas with a dominant three-goal first term.
Sprigg didn’t impact the scoreboard for the rest of the game, but continued to make his presence felt around the ground in the wet conditions on his way to a game-high 44 hit-outs, 23 possessions and eight clearances.

Reuben Ginbey (Wesley)
No wonder Wesley coach Michael Broadbridge was so quick to talk this kid up during the pre-season.
Ginbey is putting together an unbelievable campaign in defence for the PSA’s big improvers.
The Dunsborough product rolled off his opponents so well, taking several important intercept marks, and finished with a whopping 28 possessions.
Ginbey also used the ball with his trademark class and poise from the backline to be a massive factor in Wesley’s upset win.

Michael Sellwood (Aquinas)
Without State 19s guns Jesse Motlop and Corey Warner, Sellwood came in as the stand-in skipper and needed a big impact for Aquinas.
After a quiet first term, he improved after quarter-time and was a stand-out in the third as he got his side back into the match after struggling early.
But it wasn’t to be as Aquinas slumped to just their second defeat of the season to give Scotch one-game buffer.

Tony Ghiselli (Scotch)
The Scotch College forward stood tall in tough conditions against a tough opponent in Christ Church.
The classy left-footer had a huge say in the opening half especially, booting four goals including a stunner from the boundary late in the first term and a couple of long-range efforts in the second.
Ghiselli was strong on the lead and is capable of taking a contested grab inside 50.
It was a breakout performance from the 17-year-old, who hadn’t kicked more than one goal in a PSA first XVIII match before Saturday.
He also amassed 19 hit-outs and 18 possessions in a well-rounded display.

Fletcher Netherway (Christ Church)
The Christ Church midfielder was once again among his school’s best players to continue his consistent season.
With skipper Angus Sheldrick out with State 19s duties, Netherway was the premier ball winner against a star-studded Scotch with 23 possessions, eight tackles and seven clearances and a goal.
Netherway lacked polish at times in the trying weather but there was no denying his work rate and hunger for the contest.
In nine appearances this season, 17-year-old is averaging 21 disposals and 7.5 clearances, five tackles and five marks to be in contention for their best-and-fairest award.

Angus Laurisson (Guildford)
Laurisson held his cool in an under-siege Guildford defence, reeling in seven intercept marks and using the ball well in slippery conditions.
The key back also had a game-high 11 one-percent efforts to help his school hold on for a narrow two-point victory.

Chase Ridley (Trinity)
The Trinity College spearhead was the leading goal-kicker for his school, nearly dragging them over the line for the first time this season.
Ridley booted 3.2 in wet and wild conditions against Guildford Grammar in what ended up being a heartbreaking two-point loss.

If Ben Hobbs slid to us would he be worth using our first rounder on? Like the sound of him.

JVR and Benning with an early goal each in Claremont Colts v Subi.

WAFL Colts update - JVR with 2 goals now, Benning 1, Stretch 1, Williams 1, Amiss 1, Dittmar 1, McManus (Shaun's son) 1, Cripps 1, McMillan 1

Williams with 2 now, Brown 1

update 3 - JVR with 3.2 in first half, Benning 2, McManus 2, Amiss 2, Cripps 2

JVR also has most possessions on the ground with 12 (had, Sheldrick over taken him with 16 now)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back