List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

My draft thread will drop (probably) on Monday. Spoiler alert…

Wanganeen-Milera is at #9. I’d absolutely take him at Fremantle. He’ll be a better wing than anyone we have on our list at the moment.

My draft thread will drop (probably) on Monday. Spoiler alert…

Wanganeen-Milera is at #9. I’d absolutely take him at Fremantle. He’ll be a better wing than anyone we have on our list at the moment.
Not surprised. Would be a huge bonus for our forward line to have top line delivery from him.

Different from Cerra but fills some of the gaps.

AFL draft 2021: Matt Johnson, Jacob van Rooyen the heroes as WA snatch last-gasp win over South Australia in U19 curtain raiser
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Sat, 25 September 2021 5:03PM
Jordan McArdle

Subiaco's Matt Johnson won WA's best player medal.

Subiaco's Matt Johnson won WA's best player medal. Credit: supplied

Matt Johnson and Jacob van Rooyen strengthened their top-10 draft credentials as WA’s generation next kicked off AFL grand final day at Optus Stadium with a last-minute win over South Australia.
Classy midfielder Johnson won the best-on-ground medal for the Black Swans with a brilliant four-quarter performance, capped off by Claremont swingman van Rooyen’s late heroics.
Van Rooyen played down back for pretty much the entire match before drifting forward to live every kid’s dream by kicking the winner with 56 seconds on the clock as the hosts stole a five-point victory - 8.11 (59) to 8.6 (54).
It ended a stunning fightback from the Croweaters, sparked by livewire Isaiah Dudley who booted two of his three goals during a final-quarter purple patch to help his side take the lead with two minutes left.
The win may have came at a cost with East Perth sharpshooter Jye Amiss sustaining a left knee issue before half-time which puts him in doubt for when WA and SA next meet in Adelaide on October 10 as the Black Swans aim for a clean sweep.
Johnson finished with a team-high 21 possessions, seven tackles and five clearances to continue his late-season form as he firms as WA’s first player picked in the national draft in November.
Blayne O’Loughlin, the nephew of Sydney Swans great, was a worthy recipient of South Australia’s best player medallion.
O’Loughlin (22 disposals and six rebound 50s) was involved in everything good for the visitors, providing his usual rebound and silky foot skills from defence to setup several attacking forays.
WA were their own worst enemies in front of the sticks, wasting several gettable set shots in the third quarter especially after the likes of Johnson, East Perth pair Kade Dittmar, James Tunstill and West Perth bottom-ager Kane Bevan got on top at the stoppages.
Peel Thunder’s 202cm giant Jackson Broadbent, another one of the six 2022 prospects playing for WA, outstanding in the ruck.
Broadbent, who played three senior games for the Thunder as a 16-year-old, covered the ground with ease and used it well by foot.
Claremont and Wesley speedster Arthur Jones also caught the eye, making the most of his chance after injuries and availabilities to a dozen of the best 23, booting two goals from 16 touches and six inside 50s including a brilliant running effort in the opening term.
Down back, East Perth and Trinity intercept-marking machine Jedd Busslinger and Perth’s Jack Avery were outstanding.
Aside from O’Loughlin, Glenelg’s Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - the nephew of Brownlow medallist Gavin - South Adelaide’s Mani Liddy and bottom-aged Woodville-West Torrens ace Adam D’Aloia did their bit.
Panthers defender Arlo Draper was one of SA’s stand-outs before a suspected collarbone injury late in the first half.
SCOREBOARD
WESTERN AUSTRALIA 2.4, 5.5, 6.9, 8.11 (59)
SOUTH AUSTRALIA 0.2, 3.2, 5.4, 8.6 (54)
GOALS - WA: A Jones 2 B Hough R Farmer K Harbour J van Rooyen C Bourne J Stretch. SA: I Dudley 3 J Owens O Steene H Lemmey H Jackson.
BEST - WA: M Johnson A Jones J van Rooyen J Broadbent K Dittmar K Bevan J Busslinger. SA: B O’Loughlin I Dudley A D’Aloia N Wanganeen-Milera L Rayson.
MEDALS - WA: M Johnson. SA: B O’Loughlin.
INJURIES - WA: J Amiss (knee). SA: A Draper (suspected collarbone).

Yes - still think we will go him and Amiss, assuming we have two top 10 picks.
Happy for Wanganeen-Milera to be considered at pick 6(8) along with Ward, Rachele and Erasmus.

I’m comfortable with JVR or Amiss at 8(10) and then I hope we get creative to try and bring forward our second round pick 25 or 27 to be able to select Jack Williams or Rhett Bazzo.

Johnson was good in the last quarter but he turned the ball overquite a bit on the second and third. I found it interesting that at 3qrt time they showed the leading fantasy points (or SuperCoach points or whatever it is) and whilst Johnson was leading possession-getter he didn’t figure in the top 5 of that stat (turnovers are a negative).

Wanganeen-Milera or Erasmus
JVR or Amiss
Jack Williams or Rhett Bazzo

Not sure we can get our hands on Motlop if we need to trade up.

If Carlton won’t give up their pick 25 outright even small upgrade from 27 to 25 in addition to F2 will be important.

That pick will be 27 or 28 by the the early part of the second round.

That pick and our F2 for pick 20 (or whatever pick around that mark if he is still on the board) and a later pick upgrade to secure Jack Williams would be nice.

What's his courage like?

Courage in terms of what? He plays in an attacking manner and is not afraid to take them game on through congestion if that is what you mean.

If you mean putting his body on the line I would say he generally will back into marking contests /put himself into the whole in defence but that is not really the point of a player like him, given he is built like a twig.

Think of him like a six foot Stephen Hill Mk 2 type will give you something along the right idea.

Courage in terms of what? He plays in an attacking manner and is not afraid to take them game on through congestion if that is what you mean.

If you mean putting his body on the line I would say he generally will back into marking contests /put himself into the whole in defence but that is not really the point of a player like him, given he is built like a twig.

Think of him like a six foot Stephen Hill Mk 2 type will give you something along the right idea.

Sounds more like a Brad Hill but I get you. Very outside.

AFL draft 2021: Matt Johnson, Jacob van Rooyen the heroes as WA snatch last-gasp win over South Australia in U19 curtain raiser
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Sat, 25 September 2021 5:03PM
Jordan McArdle

Subiaco's Matt Johnson won WA's best player medal.'s Matt Johnson won WA's best player medal.

Subiaco's Matt Johnson won WA's best player medal. Credit: supplied

Matt Johnson and Jacob van Rooyen strengthened their top-10 draft credentials as WA’s generation next kicked off AFL grand final day at Optus Stadium with a last-minute win over South Australia.
Classy midfielder Johnson won the best-on-ground medal for the Black Swans with a brilliant four-quarter performance, capped off by Claremont swingman van Rooyen’s late heroics.
Van Rooyen played down back for pretty much the entire match before drifting forward to live every kid’s dream by kicking the winner with 56 seconds on the clock as the hosts stole a five-point victory - 8.11 (59) to 8.6 (54).
It ended a stunning fightback from the Croweaters, sparked by livewire Isaiah Dudley who booted two of his three goals during a final-quarter purple patch to help his side take the lead with two minutes left.
The win may have came at a cost with East Perth sharpshooter Jye Amiss sustaining a left knee issue before half-time which puts him in doubt for when WA and SA next meet in Adelaide on October 10 as the Black Swans aim for a clean sweep.
Johnson finished with a team-high 21 possessions, seven tackles and five clearances to continue his late-season form as he firms as WA’s first player picked in the national draft in November.
Blayne O’Loughlin, the nephew of Sydney Swans great, was a worthy recipient of South Australia’s best player medallion.
O’Loughlin (22 disposals and six rebound 50s) was involved in everything good for the visitors, providing his usual rebound and silky foot skills from defence to setup several attacking forays.
WA were their own worst enemies in front of the sticks, wasting several gettable set shots in the third quarter especially after the likes of Johnson, East Perth pair Kade Dittmar, James Tunstill and West Perth bottom-ager Kane Bevan got on top at the stoppages.
Peel Thunder’s 202cm giant Jackson Broadbent, another one of the six 2022 prospects playing for WA, outstanding in the ruck.
Broadbent, who played three senior games for the Thunder as a 16-year-old, covered the ground with ease and used it well by foot.
Claremont and Wesley speedster Arthur Jones also caught the eye, making the most of his chance after injuries and availabilities to a dozen of the best 23, booting two goals from 16 touches and six inside 50s including a brilliant running effort in the opening term.
Down back, East Perth and Trinity intercept-marking machine Jedd Busslinger and Perth’s Jack Avery were outstanding.
Aside from O’Loughlin, Glenelg’s Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - the nephew of Brownlow medallist Gavin - South Adelaide’s Mani Liddy and bottom-aged Woodville-West Torrens ace Adam D’Aloia did their bit.
Panthers defender Arlo Draper was one of SA’s stand-outs before a suspected collarbone injury late in the first half.
SCOREBOARD
WESTERN AUSTRALIA 2.4, 5.5, 6.9, 8.11 (59)
SOUTH AUSTRALIA 0.2, 3.2, 5.4, 8.6 (54)
GOALS - WA: A Jones 2 B Hough R Farmer K Harbour J van Rooyen C Bourne J Stretch. SA: I Dudley 3 J Owens O Steene H Lemmey H Jackson.
BEST - WA: M Johnson A Jones J van Rooyen J Broadbent K Dittmar K Bevan J Busslinger. SA: B O’Loughlin I Dudley A D’Aloia N Wanganeen-Milera L Rayson.
MEDALS - WA: M Johnson. SA: B O’Loughlin.
INJURIES - WA: J Amiss (knee). SA: A Draper (suspected collarbone).
Funny why are Thebes BESts for both teams so different depending on where it’s reported

Attachments

• 75A2D888-4F1B-47C2-9617-AF22FE701028.png
    75A2D888-4F1B-47C2-9617-AF22FE701028.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 202

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, you see it all the time with unathletic KPF's that can mark switching into the backline and working out, it'd be close to his only hope of getting into consideration in the ND

You think Polson is unathletic? I would have said his athleticism is his biggest strength. There's not many guys his size who can move laterally like he can.

He is a bit rough around the edges but I was impressed with some of the efforts by Kade Dittmar today.

He is a hard nut who has a lot of courage but needs to improve his disposal but may be worth a late pick.

He is a bit rough around the edges but I was impressed with some of the efforts by Kade Dittmar today.

He is a hard nut who has a lot of courage but needs to improve his disposal but may be worth a late pick.
Sounds like Dev Robertson

You think Polson is unathletic? I would have said his athleticism is his biggest strength. There's not many guys his size who can move laterally like he can.
When I talk about athleticism for a footballer it's leap, speed, acceleration and agility, I wouldn't say any of those are a strength of Polson's, especially in comparison to some of the other KPPs in the draft frame

I watched the last qtr. Did i hear correctly that there will be as many as 15 changes for the last game as finals players return? if thats the case i imagin it will have a dramatic effect on who goes where in the draft.

I watched the last qtr. Did i hear correctly that there will be as many as 15 changes for the last game as finals players return? if thats the case i imagin it will have a dramatic effect on who goes where in the draft.

How will it have a dramatic effect ?

Do we take JVR/ Amiss or Wanganeen-Milera at 6 & 8 then maybe a brown or another inside mid at 27?
Well having both Gawn and Jackson playing for you has become the benchmark.
Darcy is an outstanding prospect, but we have nothing close to what Jackson brings to the table.
That genuine forward/ruck is still missing, Jackson has both power and athleticism a deadly combination.

Polson reminds me of Hawkins when I was watching him before the grand final. Not saying he will be as good but who knows. Plays a lot like him same build etc

Well having both Gawn and Jackson playing for you has become the benchmark.
Darcy is an outstanding prospect, but we have nothing close to what Jackson brings to the table.
That genuine forward/ruck is still missing, Jackson has both power and athleticism a deadly combination.
Unfortunately Not many Jackson out there. Kid is a star.

Unfortunately Not many Jackson out there. Kid is a star.
Some similarities with Williams and Jackson.Both basketball backgrounds, E Freo products 😜
Could Williams become a clone, or do we role the dice on a Benning, Polson?
Yes I know Jackson was rated 10-20 in the drafts, but his bio suggested handy forward/ruck.
Not tall enough to be number 1 ruck, not a genuine forward threat.
But an athletic explosive unit with potential.
I’d draft his type first round, NGA, or rookie another.
Interesting that the Dees only used 34 players for the season, we don’t have that luxury.

I suspect like every year we'll spend the next few weeks going through that usual phase of thinking we need to be just like (insert GF winner) Melbourne to win a premiership and people will point to the midfield (eg Petracca) who were immense and deserving of the plaudits...

But they'll ignore that 15 of their 21 goals yesterday were kicked by their forward line. I'd be pretty confident (without checking) that Freo's forward line hasn't kicked 15 goals in a single game in the past 5 years. Unlikely they've even kicked 10+ against a top 8 team. And why not when at one stage you could argue our midfield was every bit as good, if not better?

BHill ~ Sandi ~ Fyfe ~ Mundy ~ Neale ~ Langdon
Brayshaw ~ Gawn ~ Petracca ~ Oliver ~ Viney ~ Langdon

What is different between those two teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back