List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

If Williams is there at 19/22 I would seriously consider him. However, like many others I am hoping we take Amiss or JVR earlier. I don't really want to reach for Callaghan or Andrew though. Either would require Pick 2 by the looks of things.

If we do trade Lobb and its Lobb + 6 for 2 or Lobb for 13. I would take the latter. IMHO 6, 8, 13 & 19 is better than 2, 8 & 19.

Curious about this comment, I wasn't aware he came in with any injury issues - can you elaborate?

Okay for many years in life past I ran stock on the farm and also stud breeding...a few key points of the animals were "confirmation" and constitution" of the animal.

Footballers who "last" tend to have both these physical attributes along with others -in footy probably something similar in some ways - looking at - ankles knees hips shoulders, stance/gait, how square all the way down and along with the way a player handles impact, manouverability, and close in contact at those points and how well the body handles it.

Of course it is not a 100 percent given (only a guide) that a player who may not have the better physical attributes will necessarily get serious injuries - but im saying they seem far more susceptible. A few cases in point....Polly Farmer, Mathew Pavlich had the above physical qualities in spades, Michael Apeness Alex Pearce square in the shoulders but taper in down to the ankles - both had/have leg issues regularly.

So in short, the exceptional talent sometimes comes with increased risk according to the players "constitution" and "confirmation". Thats my observation watching players over the years.

If we do trade Lobb and its Lobb + 6 for 2 or Lobb for 13. I would take the latter. IMHO 6, 8, 13 & 19 is better than 2, 8 & 19.
I agree with this. Those picks are in the sweet spot. Plus Clark for 22, a chance for Motlop after 40, Benning as Cat B.

So sweet it'll be better than ice cream.

Okay for many years in life past I ran stock on the farm and also stud breeding...a few key points of the animals were "confirmation" and constitution" of the animal.

Footballers who "last" tend to have both these physical attributes along with others -in footy probably something similar in some ways - looking at - ankles knees hips shoulders, stance/gait, how square all the way down and along with the way a player handles impact, manouverability, and close in contact at those points and how well the body handles it.

Of course it is not a 100 percent given (only a guide) that a player who may not have the better physical attributes will necessarily get serious injuries - but im saying they seem far more susceptible. A few cases in point....Polly Farmer, Mathew Pavlich had the above physical qualities in spades, Michael Apeness Alex Pearce square in the shoulders but taper in down to the ankles - both had/have leg issues regularly.

So in short, the exceptional talent sometimes comes with increased risk according to the players "constitution" and "confirmation". Thats my observation watching players over the years.
Moo likes this.

Hope Bell reads this and gives you a tinkle.

It is an interesting concept and I wonder how much clubs really look into it. I remember reading an article about someone analysing Nic Nat's workout/rehab/training videos and saying how bad his movement (or range of movement) was. Something to do with his ankles and how that could lead to ACL injuries. I think it was after he had already done one (perhaps even two), so it was a bit of Captain Hindsight, but interesting nonetheless. Can't find the article now.

That video of Sturt taking the hanger at training using the jumping bag and then landing like Spiderman ... some people were a bit shocked about how bad it looked, while others thought it was funny and nothing to worry about. I'm probably in the middle. Not sure it looked horrible, but didn't look good either.

It is an interesting concept and I wonder how much clubs really look into it. I remember reading an article about someone analysing Nic Nat's workout/rehab/training videos and saying how bad his movement (or range of movement) was. Something to do with his ankles and how that could lead to ACL injuries. I think it was after he had already done one (perhaps even two), so it was a bit of Captain Hindsight, but interesting nonetheless. Can't find the article now.

That video of Sturt taking the hanger at training using the jumping bag and then landing like Spiderman ... some people were a bit shocked about how bad it looked, while others thought it was funny and nothing to worry about. I'm probably in the middle. Not sure it looked horrible, but didn't look good either.
All this is 100% screened and trained on. There's a vid of Fyfe doing a single leg stand from a box as a rookie - incredible how poorly he moved versus how he moves now.

The issue with knee injuries is the knee going in to valgus (knock knee position) is that's a huge risk factor for most knee injuries - ACL, MCL, meniscus, patella dislocation.

As above with Fyfe this can definitely be significantly reduced with training. However there are some biological risk factors that cannot be changed and lead to injury which I imagine would also be screened prior to drafting.

So won't last past #40 though :(

But we have a sh*t load so unlikely all of them can be top 40.

PS. Anyone not on the Elijah Hewett train yet?
WA seems to have so much top tier talent next year maybe he does slide close enough to 40 that he can say ‘don’t bother’ and we get him?

Curious about this comment, I wasn't aware he came in with any injury issues - can you elaborate?
I think there is some thing in this comment. I can’t put my finger in it exactly. Not saying it was obvious before he was drafted at all.

But sturt just “looks” injury prone. He was built like a twig the day we drafted him. Light, skinny frame but quite tall. Hadn’t played much footy as a junior. Ok - at that point you could say look, he’s going to take 2 or 3 seasons to bulk up.
I saw him in a gym photo recently with a few of the other lads. He’s still basically a twig. Narrow shoulders and hasn’t really filled out. Still looks like he could get smashed to pieces in a game of AFL footy.

Chapman was drafted 2 years after Sturt and has already transformed his body based on the photo I saw. He looks like a powerful specimen already, and hopefully the memories of Josh Kennedy almost snapping him in half in the last game he played last year will be a thing of the past one he gets back out there. The incident at Peel when sturt picked up his knee injury last April was just about the most nondescript, routine marking contest you could imagine.
Went for a contested mark and 2 or three lads fell to the ground on top of each other.
happens 50 times a game around the ground.
next minute he’s out for the season again.
The season before it was a couple of very innocuous looking rolled ankle injuries that kept him out for an entire season.
He just looks so delicate out there.
as purpellian anchor said, contrast that to the core strength of Josh Treacy, Pav, even a smaller player like Joel Western or Mitch Crowden still looks like they are powerfully enough built to play AFL.
I really hope I’m wrong. Sturts glimpses of talent have been tantalising. But so far evidence says his body is not able for this.
As they say in the NFL: “the best ability is availability”

There hasn't really been any links from us to Erasmus.

I've heard Mac Andrew (arguably gone before 6), Callaghan (Almost certain to have gone before 6), Rachele (right in the mix), Amiss and JVR just purely because tall WA forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard Mac Andrew (arguably gone before 6), Callaghan (Almost certain to have gone before 6), Rachele (right in the mix), Amiss and JVR just purely because tall WA forwards.
We really should be going for 2 and 13, we have the bait (Lobotomy) and the picks to get it done.

I'm gunna put this out there; having seen a bit of Motlop now I'm not impressed. Great attack on the footy and ball carrier but doesn't seem that agile, plus he's short and not thickset. Doesn't 'move' like an AFL player. Be interested to see how he tests.

Hough on the other hand I was instantly inpressed by.

Last edited:

Erasmus as a Hale boy means Freo are very aware of him.

So won't last past #40 though :(

But we have a sh*t load so unlikely all of them can be top 40.

PS. Anyone not on the Elijah Hewett train yet?
Mate he absolutely tore up today, his improvement has been good to see. At this rate could be a top 10 next year, potentially better

I think Motlop is overrated by this board too, can definitely see him lasting past 40, would take a chance on him for sure though

Hough is the one I like as a bolter, looks an AFL player and surely if we don't get Clark then we take him at 22

I'd like 6= Erasmus/Rachelle 8= Amiss 19= JVR 22=Hough

If JVR or Amiss are gone then JVR at 8 and reach for Hough at 19 imo would mean 22 on Clark is fine

Hough kinda screams Fyfe to me, agile forward but could probably be anything

I think Motlop is overrated by this board too, can definitely see him lasting past 40, would take a chance on him for sure though

Hough is the one I like as a bolter, looks an AFL player and surely if we don't get Clark then we take him at 22

I'd like 6= Erasmus/Rachelle 8= Amiss 19= JVR 22=Hough

If JVR or Amiss are gone then JVR at 8 and reach for Hough at 19 imo would mean 22 on Clark is fine

Hough kinda screams Fyfe to me, agile forward but could probably be anything

This may sound strange but Hough is a Peel Thunder player, and I can’t remember Freo drafting a Peel lad, or in fact a South Freo lad, for a very very long time.

Morabito being the last Peel I can remember.

This may sound strange but Hough is a Peel Thunder player, and I can’t remember Freo drafting a Peel lad, or in fact a South Freo lad, for a very very long time.

Morabito being the last Peel I can remember.
Last South Player directly drafted was thomas vandeleur 2013-0 games
2019 Peel-pina- O games
both rookies

I think there is some thing in this comment. I can’t put my finger in it exactly. Not saying it was obvious before he was drafted at all.

But sturt just “looks” injury prone. He was built like a twig the day we drafted him. Light, skinny frame but quite tall. Hadn’t played much footy as a junior. Ok - at that point you could say look, he’s going to take 2 or 3 seasons to bulk up.
I saw him in a gym photo recently with a few of the other lads. He’s still basically a twig. Narrow shoulders and hasn’t really filled out. Still looks like he could get smashed to pieces in a game of AFL footy.

Chapman was drafted 2 years after Sturt and has already transformed his body based on the photo I saw. He looks like a powerful specimen already, and hopefully the memories of Josh Kennedy almost snapping him in half in the last game he played last year will be a thing of the past one he gets back out there. The incident at Peel when sturt picked up his knee injury last April was just about the most nondescript, routine marking contest you could imagine.
Went for a contested mark and 2 or three lads fell to the ground on top of each other.
happens 50 times a game around the ground.
next minute he’s out for the season again.
The season before it was a couple of very innocuous looking rolled ankle injuries that kept him out for an entire season.
He just looks so delicate out there.
as purpellian anchor said, contrast that to the core strength of Josh Treacy, Pav, even a smaller player like Joel Western or Mitch Crowden still looks like they are powerfully enough built to play AFL.
I really hope I’m wrong. Sturts glimpses of talent have been tantalising. But so far evidence says his body is not able for this.
As they say in the NFL: “the best ability is availability”

Interesting post. Sometimes though the wiry, rubbery guys can be incredibly resilient. Think of Kade Simpson or Dustin Fletcher. Where the guys who are built like tanks, like Rowell, Morabito just keep breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back