List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Always interesting to see what Knightmare is saying this time of year. Certainly some different ranking to a lot I’ve seen here. We should pick up 3 really decent players inside pick 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We aren't going to take a late pick unless someone gets shifted to the RL. With the two trades we're at 33 main list. We'll be aiming for 36 6 and two cat Bs.

It's RL or bust for players like Sheldrick and us.
Are there even two cat-B’s we’re interested in? I know Benning is one but not really sure of anyone else for this year.

No reason why we wouldn’t go 37 & 5 plus 1-2 Cat-B.

Currently on the rookie list correct me if I’m wrong is:
Hughes, Schultz, Banfield, Treacy (therefore space for 1-2 more picks). We can also promote Hughes immediately following National Draft if we wish and/or promote him as one of our late selections.

We ran with 36 + 6 + 1 in 2021
Out: Cerra, Giro, SHill, Conca, Duman
In: Brodie, Clark (list at 33)
Rookies out: Watson, Bewley
Unsigned: Crowden, Tucker

We have 5 Primary list spots available:

I think we’ll use four ND picks (61 will come in quite a bit) and we may even try and trade out the last one for a future fourth. Also the pick 61 being kept available in case Motlop slides to pick 40plus for us to match.

8 Erasmus/Ward/Rachele/Andrews
10 Amiss/Rachele/Erasmus/Wanganeen-Milera
21 JVR/Williams/Roberts/Draper
41 Fremantle match bid on Motlop

Note: Good possibility we trade 19 for a pick in the 20’s and a likely high finishing ladder team F1 or lower ladder finishing team F2.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Bell's interview is in clubs website. He says Key Position Forward,SA,VIC,WA etc wont be a consideration at pick 6 and 8.... and will go best available... and will use pick 19 most likely unless we get a good pick next year or a small slide this year plus another pick next year...

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

From the moment they traded for it, pick 19 felt like a strategic move to get in position to take either JVR or Williams; I know there is also the "stop and reset" bit as well and other clubs potentially paying overs for it when they "see the gems" left after the carnage.

Brisbane with Pick 18 looms for mine most likely on the JVR front but it is not a foregone conclusion and putting together mock drafts I can see them getting a good swing at some guys that would be attractive because some of little seen but potentially very good Victorian players are favored by Victorian clubs; if he falls through I wouldn't be surprised if we strike.

As list needs go I feel Williams would be very much in the target sights due to the likely departure of Lobb next year - he might not be the greatest backup ruck but in terms of a player that can backup ruck and play forward he would fill a role in either space on getting a couple of goals here and there and the whole endurance thing that he has and that he demonstrated in the last quarters of both of the two U19 games (and the fact that he really worked hard on improving it between seasons as well as bulking up) is something that I think the club will rate. Talls who can keep going as long as possible is a tangible benefit at the next level. The trade down option looms as what we might do with regards to him because I feel like 18 might be too early for him. Having said that we can get Benning for free who is a better ruck and has some forward craft so the option is there to still bail on taking him particularly if JVR is there; it is just that we will need to work on his endurance for probably 3-4 seasons.

I still think Amiss might be considered best available at one of those early picks but it is looking more likely that best available will be looking like two midfielders or a small forward / midfielder and a midfielder; particularly if GWS go Andrews. I guess we will likely just play the game like we did with Young and Serong and see what drops out to us at 8 and 10? I have to wonder what we think of Hobbs (I don't see him going past Hawthorn but he could) or Gibcus (I actually really like his game but if he dropped to us and we picked him but would expect BigFooty rage if we took him)?

Swiggy

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm of the opinion that Freo will be inclined as usual to go best available. The choices will be
pick 8 Erasmus.
Pick 10 Sheldrick.
Pick 21 Amiss.
JVR will be gone in the first 15 IMHO , Motlop will go 18 or 19
We need a key forward more than a Swing Man .
Late picks could get us Dittmar and South
Rookie draft I would like Benning and Paton.
No way freo would have to take Sheldrick at 10… or at 21… if they want amiss they’ll need to take him at 10

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've read a lot of draft profiles over the years and most are over the top positive and set unrealistic expectations on young players. So instead I thought I'd set the expectations much lower so all of them can exceed them post draft... :)

WayToGo's Brutal Assessment of This Year's Top Draft Prospects

Jason Horne-Francis
- already cursed having been compared to Fyfe and Danger
Nick Daicos - not even the best prospect in the pool
Sam Darcy - elite at out-marking defenders 20cm shorter than him
Finn Callaghan - very good at evading the pressure he creates for himself
Ben Hobbs - solid role-player
Josh Ward - solid hand-baller
Josh Gibcus - fondly remembered for when Jordan Johnston (who?) kicked 4 goals on him
Mac Andrew - very raw with massive expectations placed on him, what could go wrong?
Josh Rachele - perhaps the next Toby Greene, what could go wrong?
Neil Erasmus - injured most of the year with a bad 'corkie', what could go wrong?
Jye Amiss - exceptional set shot goal kicker... if inside 35m
Arlo Draper - very versatile, capable of being average in any position
Matthew Johnson - you want a tall slow midfielder?
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - best on the spot dancer with ball in hand
Josh Sinn - will be exciting to watch breaking lines before he bombs it long straight to the opposition
Tyler Sonsie - underrated... every bit as good as the other twenty or so sub 6' draft-able midfielders in the pool
Matthew Roberts - looks at home playing state league football
Josh Goater - rumour is he hit a target by foot once
Sam Butler - better haircut than his brother
Campbell Chesser - a self confessed friend of Eddie McGuire... clearly mentally unstable
Jacob Van Rooyen - question marks about off-field behaviour after he contracted Glandular
Darcy Wilmot - solid thinker whilst bolting out of defence, struggles a bit with what's next though
Tom Brown - that name alone should disqualify you from being drafted. change your name kid
Jesse Motlop - somehow manages to look fat at only 74kg
Marcus Windhager - tied to Saint's NGA, deepest sympathies
Toby Conway - easily the best ruck in a pool of s**t rucks
Jack Williams - seems to have worked hard putting on weight this year, just not muscle unfortunately
Zac Taylor - smaller midfielder anyone?
Blake Howes - anyone need a Blake Acres type?
Rhett Bazzo - coaches can swing him into attack... if they are idiots

Freoboy in Melbs

Team Captain
Apr 7, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Full credit to David Walls and Peter Bell. What a wonderful outcome for the club. Really happy with Freo's ability to trade and draft well these past few years. Really eeks every inch of value out of every trade. Bravo Walls and Belly! Bravo Freo!

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've read a lot of draft profiles over the years and most are over the top positive and set unrealistic expectations on young players. So instead I thought I'd set the expectations much lower so all of them can exceed them post draft... :)

Jason Horne-Francis
Josh Gibcus - fondly remembered for when Jordan Johnston (who?) kicked 4 goals on him
Mac Andrew - very raw with massive expectations placed on him, what could go wrong?
Neil Erasmus - injured most of the year with a bad 'corkie', what could go wrong?
Josh Sinn - will be exciting to watch breaking lines before he bombs it long straight to the opposition
Tyler Sonsie - underrated... every bit as good as the other twenty or so sub 6' draft-able midfielders in the pool
Campbell Chesser - a self confessed friend of Eddie McGuire... clearly mentally unstable
Jacob Van Rooyen - question marks about off-field behaviour after he contracted Glandular
Darcy Wilmot - solid thinker whilst bolting out of defence, struggles a bit with what's next though
Tom Brown - that name alone should disqualify you from being drafted. change your name kid
Toby Conway - easily the best ruck in a pool of sh*t rucks
Jack Williams - seems to have worked hard putting on weight this year, just not muscle unfortunately
POTY

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Jason Horne-Francis

Not bad but I would do "low end" comparisons to previous Top 20 picks if you want to really scare people (sorry I didn't put that much effort into it):
1. JHF - Jared Polec
2. Daicos - Tom Scully
3. Darcy - Sam Day
4. Callaghan - Andrew Moore
5. Hobbs - Jack Trengove
6. Ward - Dom Tyson
7. Gibcus - Lachie Plowman
8. Andrew - Billy Longer
9. Rachele - Liam Sumner
10. Erasmus - Tom Swift
11. Amiss - Kristian Jaskch
12. Draper - Sam Mayes
13. Johnson - Jordan Gysberts
14. NWM - Nakia Cockatoo
15. Sinn - Paul Ahern
16. Sonsie - Jye Simpkin
17. Roberts - Tom Sheridan
18. Goater - Elliot Kavanagh
19. Butler - Ben Jacobs
20. Campbell Chesser - Brad McKenzie
21. Van Rooyen - James Stewart
22. Darcy Wilmot - Jesse Lonegan
23. Tom Brown - Nathan Wright
24. Jesse Motlop - Ben Lennon
25. Toby Conway - Fraser McInnes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jason Horne-Francis
Can you please write a game preview next year?

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not bad but I would do "low end" comparisons to previous Top 20 picks if you want to really scare people (sorry I didn't put that much effort into it):
1. JHF - Jared Polec
2. Daicos - Tom Scully
3. Darcy - Sam Day
4. Callaghan - Andrew Moore
5. Hobbs - Jack Trengove
6. Ward - Dom Tyson
7. Gibcus - Lachie Plowman
8. Andrew - Billy Longer
9. Rachele - Liam Sumner
10. Erasmus - Tom Swift
11. Amiss - Kristian Jaskch
12. Draper - Sam Mayes
13. Johnson - Jordan Gysberts
14. NWM - Nakia Cockatoo
15. Sinn - Paul Ahern
16. Sonsie - Jye Simpkin
17. Roberts - Tom Sheridan
18. Goater - Elliot Kavanagh
19. Butler - Ben Jacobs
20. Campbell Chesser - Brad McKenzie
21. Van Rooyen - James Stewart
22. Darcy Wilmot - Jesse Lonegan
23. Tom Brown - Nathan Wright
24. Jesse Motlop - Ben Lennon
25. Toby Conway - Fraser McInnes

I don't think you could have picked a more different game style to JHF than Jared Polec :tearsofjoy:

My low end comparison for him would be someone like Jack Viney or if you are going really bad, then Morabito or Cockatoo.

ubiquitous226

All Australian
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think you could have picked a more different game style to JHF than Jared Polec :tearsofjoy:

My low end comparison for him would be someone like Jack Viney or if you are going really bad, then Morabito or Cockatoo.

Nice troll, I'll bite.

Morabito and Cockatoo both had talent to burn but not the bodies to support it.
One of those in particular looked every bit his draft pick prior to a zillion knee reconstructions.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would most be happy if we ended up with Erasmus, JVR (or Amiss, whoever we rate as best tall forward) and Motlop.

Addresses our most pressing needs imo i.e. wing, tall forward, small forward.
I want 2 med/tall forwards

1. We have nothing in that department other than Sturt (? Body)
2. One may not live up to expectations

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
we are going to have to reach for one of JVR/Amiss IMO

They won't be there at 19 (22)

Bell says we will go best available for our first 2 though

I don't particularly rate Williams so Idno wtf we are gonna do, have a feeling we won't get a tall

Purple dynamite

All Australian
May 22, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Bayern munich
Freo needs more X factor and mongrel, now that we have a suitable foundation.
People that can turn a game. the next Cyril, Dusty, Charlie Cameron, Toby Green, Buddy - X factor.
Or Crowley, Ballaz, Mitch Robinson, Zack Butter types for mongrel.
No pressure recruiting team.

Shoeless Joe

Team Captain
May 22, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like some others on here I really rate Sheldrik. Only downside is we don't want anymore short people
Has Lachie Neale clone written all over him ...even wears no 27

Unfortunately the toast look like getting bargain to me...in the 30s I reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back