List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just want to throw Ben Hobbs into the conversation.

Bit of a beast - would be handy in our annual drubbings by bigger bodied midfields.

He is 183cm. It's not midget territory, but he's not going to help issues against bigger bodied midfields. The smaller mids like Hobbs, Ward and Sonsie are a poor fit for our midfield (Brayshaw, Serong) when compared with the bigger options like Erasmus, Johnson, Goater, etc.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here's a list of who led the colts goalkicking based off stats from the WAFL site:

YearPlayerClubGoalsBehinds
2011Mason ShawSouth Freo6632
2012Alex HowsonEast Freo5827
2013Rhys McAlisterSubiaco5821
2014Cameron LoerschSouth Freo5728
2015Brett MilwardPeel Thunder5826
2016Shai BoltonSouth Freo3723
2017Dillon O'ReillyEast Freo4619
2018Jack MayoSubiaco5044
2019Ben MiddletonPeel Thunder3021
=2020Sandon PageSubiaco247
=2020Corey RundleWest Perth2418
2021Jye AmissEast Perth5115
Remove Bolton who's a midfielder now and that's truly grim.

I'm pretty sure that most years the State u18s miss 7-8 colts games though.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
He is 183cm. It's not midget territory, but he's not going to help issues against bigger bodied midfields. The smaller mids like Hobbs, Ward and Sonsie are a poor fit for our midfield (Brayshaw, Serong) when compared with the bigger options like Erasmus, Johnson, Goater, etc.
You play the cards you've been dealt. We're not going to bypass shorter mids for taller ones unless we rate them equally. No point sending the big bodies in if they are B graders. (e.g SPP)
If we rate Hobbs and Ward above Erasmus etc., that's who'll we'll take.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
You play the cards you've been dealt. We're not going to bypass shorter mids for taller ones unless we rate them equally. No point sending the big bodies in if they are B graders. (e.g SPP)
If we rate Hobbs and Ward above Erasmus etc., that's who'll we'll take.

I would take Daicos and Horne-Francis (183-184cm) over the taller mids, but we won't have that option. I can't see how the players available to us won't be rated approximately equally, and therefore it makes no sense to take Hobbs, Ward, etc.

How do you think Essendon are viewing their midfield of McGrath, Parish and Merrett? Great players, but way too small as a group. Hopper was not available to them (academy), but they would be better off with Hopper instead of Parish. Or Taranto/McCluggage instead of McGrath. In both drafts the bigger players were rated similarly (perhaps slightly lower), just like it seems in this draft.

What if Melbourne had taken Parish instead of Oliver? Balmer had the pick correct, but said the whisper was it was a coin toss. Twomey had Parish at 3 and Oliver at 11 in his rankings (but got them correct in his phantom).

Of course these examples suit my argument and the bigger player could end up being a dud pick, but you need some luck whichever way you go, and I would be erring on the side of the bigger players for this particular draft.

jusjoshin

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2008
Gosnells
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, East Side Hawks
Jfc the hype for Horne-Francis is through the roof atm. Hope he lives up to it... and then requests a trade to Freo in a few years time :)
It'd be better if he came out and said he wants to stay in his home state and he won't sign any extensions out of it.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
My picks are done in the BF draft...

#8 Josh Rachele (180cm, 78kg forward/mid)
#10 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (187cm, 70kg mid)
#21 Mitch Knevitt (193cm, 81kg mid)
#54 Anthony Caminiti (196cm, 83kg forward)
#63 Eric Benning (196cm, 83kg ruck/forward)

As I said before I deliberately overlooked talls early just to see how things would play out. So don't get too angry with me. Instead I ended up with a couple of raw but high upside talls late. If I was drafting again, I'd stick with Rachele but go for one of Mac Andrew or Jye Amiss at #10. Probably stick with Knevitt, but go for some outside run later on at #54.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
So JLo has expressly said he wants to build a list using the draft for sustained success with the current young core. Below is what I see is that core for the next 5 years+ (hopefully and yes some of these will succumb to injury, could request a trade, or be replaced by a junior - and no I'm not interested in deep diving to argue on exact positions or whether they are worthy of them - the point for this discussion is what general gaps we have that need to be filled for the immediate future):
(age as at 22.10.21)

Sturt (21) ___ ? ___ Schultz (23)
Freddie (21) Treacy (19) Henry (20)
Aish (25) ___ ? ___ Clarke (21)
Young (20) Cox (23) Walker (19)
Logue (23) Pearce (26) Ryan (25)

Darcy (23) Serong (20) Brayshaw (21)

Bench: Tucker (24) Crowden (22) Chapman (19) Brodie (23)

Depth or ?: Meek (23) Western (19) NOD (19) Valente (?_21) Swit (24) Blakely (25)

Looks pretty exciting IMO. Bits missing are:

Greatest need:
R/F - Benning will likely be drafted to hopefully fill that role with a late pick
Top mid - needed - we have a few potentials on the list but not a Fyfe/Mundy quality
KPF - needed - Treacy can't do it on his own

Backup:
Chapman is extra tall in backline, need extra tall/medtall in forwardline and Sturt is still a great hope
midfield can always use more depth though at a lower pick will they be better than Brodie, Valente?, Tucker, Crowden. If not, not needed and maybe look for next Walters/Ballas.

Based on above, as many have already said (telling many what they already new but just setting it out on paper), 6 and 8 likely to be out highest rated and available tall forward and mid (not necessarily in that order), 19 likely to be another tall F

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers

As I said before I deliberately overlooked talls early just to see how things would play out. So don't get too angry with me. Instead I ended up with a couple of raw but high upside talls late. If I was drafting again, I'd stick with Rachele but go for one of Mac Andrew or Jye Amiss at #10. Probably stick with Knevitt, but go for some outside run later on at #54.
Surely we need more local talent, the KPF's are ready and waiting to be picked up. Sick of having the Naughtons and McDionalds get away and then developing Cerra's for other teams.

big freo

Nathan O'Driscoll
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
So JLo has expressly said he wants to build a list using the draft for sustained success with the current young core. Below is what I see is that core for the next 5 years+ (hopefully and yes some of these will succumb to injury, could request a trade, or be replaced by a junior - and no I'm not interested in deep diving to argue on exact positions or whether they are worthy of them - the point for this discussion is what general gaps we have that need to be filled for the immediate future):
(age as at 22.10.21)

Sturt (21) ___ ? ___ Schultz (23)
Freddie (21) Treacy (19) Henry (20)
Aish (25) ___ ? ___ Clarke (21)
Young (20) Cox (23) Walker (19)
Logue (23) Pearce (26) Ryan (25)

Darcy (23) Serong (20) Brayshaw (21)

Bench: Tucker (24) Crowden (22) Chapman (19) Brodie (23)

Depth or ?: Meek (23) Western (19) NOD (19) Valente (?_21) Swit (24) Blakely (25)

Looks pretty exciting IMO. Bits missing are:

Greatest need:
R/F - Benning will likely be drafted to hopefully fill that role with a late pick
Top mid - needed - we have a few potentials on the list but not a Fyfe/Mundy quality
KPF - needed - Treacy can't do it on his own

Backup:
Chapman is extra tall in backline, need extra tall/medtall in forwardline and Sturt is still a great hope
midfield can always use more depth though at a lower pick will they be better than Brodie, Valente?, Tucker, Crowden. If not, not needed and maybe look for next Walters/Ballas.

Based on above, as many have already said (telling many what they already new but just setting it out on paper), 6 and 8 likely to be out highest rated and available tall forward and mid (not necessarily in that order), 19 likely to be another tall F
If we're talking life after Fyfe and Mundy then NOD could be the answer, he's 187cm (6ft 2) and so is Valente so not huge but they're not small either and they both go hard at it, I think people are really underestimating their potential

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If we're talking life after Fyfe and Mundy then NOD could be the answer, he's 187cm (6ft 2) and so is Valente so not huge but they're not small either and they both go hard at it, I think people are really underestimating their potential
The most credible indication of their potential is that the club traded up to secure both of those players.

freo99

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle

Hi Chris I was following what you were doing, but it does go to show what opinion is.

I dont mind Knevitt at all, but if we did end up with Rachele at our 1st pick I’d be disappointed.
And I would still like to see NWM kick a daisy cutter 40-50m.

The more I’ve thought about it, I’ve swung round to taking JVR with our 1st as we can’t afford to
miss him + Richmond will probably be ready to pounce. (I do know they need another quality midfielder
but there are some that would suit later on).

We may need to get creative with some draft swaps + a little luck to pick up who we need.

Josh Goater is looking a bit Bont like as well.

Swiggy

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

tell us more about Anthony Caminiti?

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

I think you have picked some good talent but it is not the way I would have gone.
Our forward line has such a gaping dearth of talls because the club has not taken the punt on early talls. Your selections have just kicked the can down the road another year.
If Caminiti shows anything he may head home at first chance and Benning just as likely to be a bust.
Need to draft for needs otherwise that elusive flag will always be 5 years away.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle

That's it, I'm done! Sick of us picking up smalls when we deserately need talls.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Surely we need more local talent, the KPF's are ready and waiting to be picked up. Sick of having the Naughtons and McDionalds get away and then developing Cerra's for other teams.

Arthur Jones and Josh Browne were the main two WA guys I was looking at outside the first round. And I considered Brady Hough at #21 too. So I wasn't against taking WA talent. I more just overlooked Amiss to see where he'd end up.

But my gut feel is still that van Rooyen is available in the second round. And I can just imagine this board when Day 2 starts and we trade the first pick despite him being on the board. With Williams available even later should be trade down further.

I dont mind Knevitt at all, but if we did end up with Rachele at our 1st pick I’d be disappointed.

There's so many players we could pick early, but Rachele is the one I'm most confident will be called out if he's available. I'm going with Rachele + Amiss/Andrew. With Erasmus and NWM the plan B should Rachele be gone.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
tell us more about Anthony Caminiti?

This was what I wrote about him...

It's not a complete shot in the dark, but the room certainly is dimly lit. I'm not going to pretend I've seen a lot of Caminiti, I saw about one and a half games of his this year, although to be fair he only played the 3 NAB League matches having mostly played at Carey. I've seen a lot more of the SA boys and strongly considered them here - the production of Ferres, the potential of Cook and the athleticism of Lukac.

But I'm going with Caminiti, who did receive a Combine invite off the back of his handful of games. It's not a draft stacked full of tall talent, so it feels like a team could take a punt on a high upside guy like Caminiti - whether it's late in the national draft or as a rookie. At the very least, I wouldn't be surprised to see his name pop up again next year if he returns to the U18s.

The reason I've gone with him is just that the overall package is appealing. He has above average athleticism and quickness for a tall, and is particularly good on the lead. In the games I saw, he consistently got away from his defender on the lead and has a long reach. Marking looked solid, and should only improve as he gets stronger - provided he can get stronger and build on his frame. I think he has potential to play either as a deep leading target or as a more mobile CHF type. For Fremantle specifically, he has a touch more speed than Taberner and would provide a good mix with the strength of Treacy.

Obviously all of that is said with the caveat being that it's based off limited viewing. But when does that stop BigFooty.

I still think the KPF talent in this draft is fairly poor....

First round - Darcy, Andrew, Amiss
Second round - van Rooyen
Third round - Williams

And every one of those guys has question marks. Is Amiss truly a key forward, is van Rooyen a better defender, will Williams truly nail down a position. I'm not against picking them, and I do rate Amiss around our picks and I think van Rooyen is better than what I project him to go. But outside of these guys, the draft is just waiting for someone to pop up and Caminiti probably ticks the most boxes.

Swiggy

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
This was what I wrote about him...

I still think the KPF talent in this draft is fairly poor....

First round - Darcy, Andrew, Amiss
Second round - van Rooyen
Third round - Williams

And every one of those guys has question marks. Is Amiss truly a key forward, is van Rooyen a better defender, will Williams truly nail down a position. I'm not against picking them, and I do rate Amiss around our picks and I think van Rooyen is better than what I project him to go. But outside of these guys, the draft is just waiting for someone to pop up and Caminiti probably ticks the most boxes.
Fair enough, I reckon freo should take best available then hopefully JVR or Williams at 19.
Don’t get me wrong I like amiss but he seems like more of a 3rd tall

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Key forwards bust so often I think we need 2 or 3 and to assume one won’t make it

Amiss worries me with the easy comparisons to Schache and Watts
Even more reason why we definitely will not take 2 with our first two picks let alone 1. IMO there isn't a standout KPF that deserves Top 10 (perhaps Andrew on potential)

Back