List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Could you imagine GC overhearing Freddie's name and changing their pick based on whispers. Recruiters quickly watching a draft video while the clock ticks.
I know GC have had their problems but none of these multi-million dollar teams are cowboys anymore. I recon they were just stirring Montagna up and it made a good story for the paper.
You clearly didn't listen/pay enough attention to SOS on trade radio.

Erasmus vs Johnson, can someone summarise their respective strengths and weaknesses and how they differ as players?
To my untrained eye watching highlight videos and reading forums/articles:

Erasmus
Looks like he could be a Yeo calibre player (Fyfe is a different level), but his kicking action concerns me. Quiet a high ball drop which invites error
Elite marking
Good size and strength
Relatively quick
Backs in his opposite foot from footage I've seen
Question marks about being injury prone

Johnson
Projects as a Mundy type, but his combine testing show he has a decent turn of speed.
Very good skills and composure
Moves through traffic well and picks good options
Big body with potential to be strong but some write ups question his contested game
Seems pretty consistent too

Again, I'm no expert. They both pass my eye test but Johnson seems safer. Erasmus has higher potential it seems. If we didn't have the need for a key forward I've be stoked with both at 8 and 10.

Erasmus
Looks like he could be a Yeo calibre player (Fyfe is a different level), but his kicking action concerns me. Quiet a high ball drop which invites error
Elite marking
Good size and strength
Relatively quick
I'd go past "concerns" and end up somewhere around: "it looks like he is a s**t kick". Really need to see more than 3 minutes of highlights (the inverse Joel Houghton rule)

I'd go past "concerns" and end up somewhere around: "it looks like he is a sh*t kick". Really need to see more than 3 minutes of highlights (the inverse Joel Houghton rule)
Yep, I really don't like his kick based off that three minute video but thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt given the small sample size.

The Freo supporter in me leans towards Johnson just to be safer. I don't need more pain

Frankly this year I'm biased against the WA players as they haven't been up against the best. A few WAFL colts games and flogging SA a few times isn't much to go on. I'd be very reticent to touch them them with high picks unless they test better than average for things like agility, endurance etc.

Last edited:
I'm not too concerned about production. I feel it's something that comes with midfield craft and specifically the role they play within the midfield unit (Didn't Conca have close to 30 in a game Fyfe missed?)

I'm unsure what Fyfe and Mundy's production was like in the Colts but I'm assuming they weren't huge possession numbers.

Frankly this year I'm biased against the WA players are they haven't been up against the best. A few WAFL colts games and flogging SA a few times isn't much to go on. I'd be very reticent to touch them them with high picks unless they test better than average for things like agility, endurance etc.

For Van Rooyan he smashed it against weaker opposition in the Colts Grand Final but Bazzo seemed to at least half most contests. The difference between Bazzo and other Colts defenders seems massive tbh. Personally thought he looked like a man vs boys except against Bazzo who was a good match up.

Hard to say how Van Rooyan would’ve done against Vic Metro or Vic Country. He probably would’ve played defence anyway.

Not sure this problem is unique to the WAFL Colts competition though tbh.

Ultimately what I’ve seen of the Victorian kids is **** all but the WA kids apart from Erasmus and Johnson weren’t as impressive as players that’d normally be talked about as top 25 picks imo.

I'm not too concerned about production. I feel it's something that comes with midfield craft and specifically the role they play within the midfield unit (Didn't Conca have close to 30 in a game Fyfe missed?)

I'm unsure what Fyfe and Mundy's production was like in the Colts but I'm assuming they weren't huge possession numbers.
Fyfe was a half forward and Mundy was a full back.

Johnson is averaging 20 possessions a game in Colts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say don't pick anybody of a few minutes of highlights. You can make any player look good .

I was more saying that Serong’s highlights weren’t as impressive as others but look at him now.

Young’s highlights from memory were as good as anyone’s so it does work both ways.

Basically what I’m saying is the old saying - Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.

I was more saying that Serong’s highlights weren’t as impressive as others but look at him now.

Young’s highlights from memory were as good as anyone’s so it does work both ways.

We're fans. We only get to see the cover. Fortunately our list managers have a deeper read on things.

I agree some were saying he was a midget , My favourite saying comes out , "It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog " Serong has a big heart and that is why he is made for AFL.

Erasmus
Elite marking
Good size and strength
Relatively quick

Johnson
Projects as a Mundy type, but his combine testing show he has a decent turn of speed.
Very good skills and composure
Moves through traffic well and picks good options
Big body with potential to be strong but some write ups question his contested game
Seems pretty consistent too

Again, I'm no expert. They both pass my eye test but Johnson seems safer. Erasmus has higher potential it seems. If we didn't have the need for a key forward I've be stoked with both at 8 and 10.

These read like they’re both a perfect fit to handover the baton from Fyfe and Mundy respectively once both retire. 6 and 8 would do it.

These read like they’re both a perfect fit to handover the baton from Fyfe and Mundy respectively once both retire. 6 and 8 would do it.
Mundy and Fyfe are not so easy to replace , If these two boys can step straight in and replace players of that calibre I would be extremely surprised .

According to wafl.com he has only kicked 21 goals in 16 games (thats L/R & colts). You'd assume a fair % of those weren't on camera at all so it doesn't leave much of a pool of goalkicking highlights.
Kicking goals is kicking goals. It's probably better to see moar(!) of his field play when assessing how he'll fit in the team.

That's my point. You don't have to be a midfielder with big production in the Colts in order to be a good midfielder when you're 25. If your skillset is good then you can learn the role.
This is true, however no one is getting picked high in the draft as a low production player as a pure mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back