List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it odd that one of the pieces of information forming the basis of his late mail includes an interview with Hobbs saying that we had strong interest: Has us taking him in NONE of his revised scenarios.
Why would we do all those extra interviews if we aren't serious? Not to stop Richmond taking him. The only reason would be to stop Richmond trading down. That's possible, but it means us taking him is still a real possibility.
I reckon he has nfi this year and it exposes his lack of instinct for what the clubs actually do (rather than just sluthing out the names).

That's a bit harsh on Twomey. Just about every recruiter from clubland has talked about how hard it is this year given the lack of available evidence from a big slice of the possible talent. Lots more randomness this year. I guess we'll see about his accuracy tomorrow, obviously prediction gets harder as the cascading effects of non-predicted decisions slew from pick to pick and clubs are probably more likely to have wider ranges to select from at each particular pick given the fuzziness of the data set.

It is a little weird he hasn't put Hobbs more in our frame though, given a reading between the lines Hobbs almost seemed to say Freo is right there in terms of selecting him. Having Richmond as a named suitor could be desired thinking, but not sure why Freo would be placed above all others if they weren't a serious option and have indicated so to him.

That's a bit harsh on Twomey. Just about every recruiter from clubland has talked about how hard it is this year given the lack of available evidence from a big slice of the possible talent. Lots more randomness this year. I guess we'll see about his accuracy tomorrow, obviously prediction gets harder as the cascading effects of non-predicted decisions slew from pick to pick and clubs are probably more likely to have wider ranges to select from at each particular pick given the fuzziness of the data set.

It is a little weird he hasn't put Hobbs more in our frame though, given a reading between the lines Hobbs almost seemed to say Freo is right there in terms of selecting him. Having Richmond as a named suitor could be desired thinking, but not sure why Freo would be placed above all others if they weren't a serious option and have indicated so to him.
All these points are valid. However; It just seems to me that when Twomey trys to fill in the gaps he keeps using his take on the clubs 'needs' despite abundant evidence over the years that most of the clubs don't do that with high picks.

Edit: I also think he overates local when he's not sure too.

Last edited:

Freo might also be challenging richmond to move up. State that we are keen on Hobbs. If Richmond want him they trade 9 and 27 for 8.

Love to see us play funny buggers with richmond and st kilda.
Trade 8 for 9 and 27. Richmond pick Hobbs
Trade 9 for 11 and future 2nd/3rd. STK pick Gibcus
Pick Amiss and JOhnson/Erasmus with 10 and 11.

Random rumour spotted on the North board..grain of salt etc

FWIW I was told by ITK about a pick swap. Hawks give Richmond 5 & 24 in return for 7 & 15. Richmond want Gibcus & know Freo will take him @ 6

Hard to see us taking Gibcus, especially after picking Chapman last year. Unless we see him as a forward?

Hard to see us taking Gibcus, especially after picking Chapman last year. Unless we see him as a forward?
It would be madness to see him as a forward wouldn't it? Especially with Amiss thereabouts.

Surely Richmond would just offer us 7 & 15 for 6 & 19 if that were the case… and I’d imagine we’d accept that. Unless of course we’re resolute on Gibcus

Very interesting. It would be so Freo to pick up Gibcus.

I'm definitely not against it. He's a tall with great hands and I trust our recruiters. Although I like Amiss - there are a few question marks that get me worried.

Very interesting. It would be so Freo to pick up Gibcus.

I'm definitely not against it. He's a tall with great hands and I trust our recruiters. Although I like Amiss - there are a few question marks that get me worried.
Has been rated top 5 all year, if we truly believe in best available and he is there?
Amiss, Gibcus are both 196cm. Would be perfect to replace Pearce.

Freo might also be challenging richmond to move up. State that we are keen on Hobbs. If Richmond want him they trade 9 and 27 for 8.

Love to see us play funny buggers with richmond and st kilda.
Trade 8 for 9 and 27. Richmond pick Hobbs
Trade 9 for 11 and future 2nd/3rd. STK pick Gibcus
Pick Amiss and JOhnson/Erasmus with 10 and 11.

As long as it doesn’t backfire and Richmond then picks Amiss at 8

If anyone listened to ex-collingwood player, west Aussie and current AFL academy coach Tarkyn Lockyer who was recently interviewed and asked about Gibcus you would know he is absolutely a key defender and not a forward or swingman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A silky skilled small skinny Vic Metro. 68kg

Gee… looks good until I saw 182cm, 68kg. Not quick either.
In these sitches I think back to an NBA player named Mark Price. Small white point guard with no real athletic advantages. Was one of the best in his era imo. Had smarts and quick thinking on his side.

VM-Lachlan-Rankin.jpg

Oakleigh Chargers
OAKLEIGH CHARGERSMEDIUM UTILITY
Lachlan Rankin

Height: 182cm
Weight: 68kg
D.O.B: 05-02-2003
Leagues: NAB League Boys

POSITION: Medium Utility
SNAPSHOT: "A versatile prospect with high-level smarts and evasion, Rankin showcases clean skills in every third of the ground."

A mainstay throughout the elite talent pathway, Lachlan Rankin has picked up plenty of representative honours along his junior footballing career. The versatile Oakleigh Chargers product was part of Vic Metro's Under 16s and 19s campaigns, while also earning a late call-up to the AFL Academy squad in April and being named in the 2021 APS Football Merit Team. The 18-year-old's clean hands and skills are indicative of his pure footballing talent, backed by clever evasive technique and a terrific sense of surrounding. He only managed four NAB League games this year, also turning out for Caulfield Grammar, but has shown plenty of form at high levels to prove his class in a variety of roles.

STRENGTHS:
+ Clean hands
+ Kicking
+ Versatility
+ Smarts
+ Evasion

IMPROVEMENTS:
- Strength
- Inside game

Rankin started his top-age campaign with a bang in one of the most watched NAB League games in recent memory. He burst out of the blocks with Oakleigh's first two goals, lining up next to highly touted Sandringham Dragons skipper Josh Sinn in a relatively new forward role. In that game and beyond, Rankin showcased his versatility and wickedly slick skills - two of his greatest weapons as a footballer.

The 182cm prospect had previously impressed as a running half-back and wingman with clean kicking skills and top-end decision making. He carried those traits over to his forward-midfield rotation, proving a confident finisher in front of goal and getting creative inside 50. With smarts and one-touch handling, Rankin is also a terrific front-and-centre crumber who makes the most of whatever delivery he receives.

When shifted further afield, the 18-year-old looks to set up play by foot. Whether taking the kick-ins or making sound decisions in open play, Rankin has an efficient short and long game to go with his quick and clever work by hand. His ability to adapt his skills to roles at either end of the ground and bring competitiveness to each line would undoubtedly have been a terrific wildcard for his coaches.

While not the quickest of players, Rankin's mind is much more nimble that others' and allows him to get out of tight spots. With his terrific spacial awareness, he often feints one way but turns on a dime and heads the other, allowing more time to execute his skills under less pressure. Rankin is also surprisingly good overhead, not afraid to leap for marks and put his light frame in the way of aerial contests.

Speaking of a light frame, that is arguably one area Rankin will look to enhance. He weighed in at 68kg at the start of the year and is quite proficient on the outside, but can certainly add some muscle to ensure his crumbing game and competitiveness translate to higher levels. He is not unfamiliar with featuring at the centre bounces and has the nous and work rate to thrive there, but can also develop his inside craft as he grows.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 35-60

SUMMARY:

As far as natural footballers go, Rankin is one of the cleverest and most efficient in this year's crop. Most of what he does is economical and he can adapt his skills to suit a variety of roles on all three lines. He works hard and makes things happen in possession with quick thinking, factors which also suit the pace of the modern game. Given his accolades and glimpses of class this year, he could well rank around the second round for some clubs, but will likely offer great value a little later on.
I'd love him developing on our squad, moreso anyone else, based off reading that. I think pure smarts are so underrated compared to athletic power, and if he has the skills to execute and not muff it up as much then he can be a hidden gem.

So we assume Freo take four picks plus Benning (may be one less depending whether he attracts a bid) and given we currently hold picks 6, 8, 19, 60 and 68:

A) Who do you want freo to draft?
B) Who do you think they’ll draft?

A) Amiss Johnson Draper Williams
B) Amiss Erasmus rankin Cripps

So we assume Freo take four picks plus Benning (may be one less depending whether he attracts a bid) and given we currently hold picks 6, 8, 19, 60 and 68:

What I want is not interesting.

What I am expecting is that we will:

(1) probably trade back pick 19 for a second round next year and a pick in the 30s (We might get more than that, might get less); even if a player like Goater or JVR is sitting at 19 as tempting as it is to take him I think we will still trade back. That 30s pick will then be used on Williams if available. If not available we will pick another midfielder.
(2) If at all possible, leave Benning to the rookie draft (he won't be ready for a while anyway); that will leave 60 and 68 for some midfield/wing/utility workhorse types.

I think this is the answer to both questions, although I think we take Johnson first.;

B) Johnson Amiss Draper Williams

What I want is not interesting.

What I am expecting is that we will:

(1) probably trade back pick 19 for a second round next year and a pick in the 30s (We might get more than that, might get less); even if a player like Goater or JVR is sitting at 19 as tempting as it is to take him I think we will still trade back. That 30s pick will then be used on Williams if available. If not available we will pick another midfielder.
(2) If at all possible, leave Benning to the rookie draft (he won't be ready for a while anyway); that will leave 60 and 68 for some midfield/wing/utility workhorse types.
There is no chance we will trade 19 for 2x picks in the 30s. If we do then i will spew! That pick is far more valuable than that to me

My biggest worry is Hawthorn picking Johnson before we get a choice to, so that trade for that player would remove that issue allowing us to pick Johnson at #8, letting Hawthorn take whoever, then we pick Amiss.

There is no chance we will trade 19 for 2x picks in the 30s. If we do then i will spew! That pick is far more valuable than that to me
True
What’s the point of trading when there’s clearly holes to be filled forward and mid and a healthy list to pick from ?
Doesn’t make sense to me but then again I know less than f*ck all about this stuff .
Pumped to see how this plays out the next few days.

True
What’s the point of trading when there’s clearly holes to be filled forward and mid and a healthy list to pick from ?
Doesn’t make sense to me but then again I know less than f*ck all about this stuff .
Pumped to see how this plays out the next few days.
I just think that at pick 19 your getting that first round slider who has a good chance of becoming a good player. Picks in the 30s i would say a lot less chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back