Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
What I want is not interesting.

What I am expecting is that we will:

(1) probably trade back pick 19 for a second round next year and a pick in the 30s (We might get more than that, might get less); even if a player like Goater or JVR is sitting at 19 as tempting as it is to take him I think we will still trade back. That 30s pick will then be used on Williams if available. If not available we will pick another midfielder.
(2) If at all possible, leave Benning to the rookie draft (he won't be ready for a while anyway); that will leave 60 and 68 for some midfield/wing/utility workhorse types.

Tbh I don’t think we’ll use pick 60 or 68. I expect big offers for pick 19 and think our later one or both of our later selections could be involved.

Let’s say we trade with Geelong:
Pick 23/24 and 32/34 for Pick 19 and 60/68.

Let’s go with Richmond:

Two of 27-29 for Pick 19 and 60/68.

Most people bothering to make phantom drafts seem reasonably confident that Freo is only using four selections at the National Draft. Guys like Twomey haven’t got that detail wrong too much in the past.

Things do change on draft night but I can only see us using both Pick 60 and 68 if some team offers ridiculous overs for Pick 19 and that ridiculous overs happens to be a Future 1st.

In regards to Benning, if he’s still there at pick 68, we’ll pass like we did for our last pick late year. We’ll then match if a bid actually comes. Otherwise we head to the rookie draft with pick 8 and list Benning as a Category B rookie.

Last edited:

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did anyone watch the Melbourne recruiting video from 2020. A pretty decent insight into the room. The phone would be so annoying.

A good short watch

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've paid no attention to the last month on here, so I'm looking forward to seeing some melts from overly invested posters when we pick up the next Caleb Serong tonight.

Sturty2Hurty

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Happy Skinny Victorian Flanker Day everyone!!!!

There does seem to be a concerning amount of half-backs in this draft

I could see the Eagles grabbing Sinn considering Hurn and Sheppard will retire soon. Brisbane will probably opt for one at one of their picks too with Rich+Birchall on the way out.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I agree with Swiggy. 5 is probably at a max for me. If we really do want Goater then i really doubt he would be there in the 30s. Neither would motlop most likely
If we really want Goater (or another player) and they are available we likely take him, but may settle for significant trade in our favour.

But there could also be a club wanting someone like Alleer who I assume we would not be considering. Or perhaps we missed on Amiss and JVR and want to position ourselves for Williams.

Looking forward to the strategies unfolding.

My reading of the host of opinions is that there is reasonable quality into the early thirties.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tbh I don’t think we’ll use pick 60 or 68. I expect big offers for pick 19 and think our later one or both of our later selections could be involved.

Let’s say we trade with Geelong:
Pick 23/24 and 32/34 for Pick 19 and 60/68.

Let’s go with Richmond:

Two of 27-29 for Pick 19 and 60/68.

Most people bothering to make phantom drafts seem reasonably confident that Freo is only using four selections at the National Draft. Guys like Twomey haven’t got that detail wrong too much in the past.

Things do change on draft night but I can only see us using both Pick 60 and 68 if some team offers ridiculous overs for Pick 19 and that ridiculous overs happens to be a Future 1st.

In regards to Benning, if he’s still there at pick 68, we’ll pass like we did for our last pick late year. We’ll then match if a bid actually comes. Otherwise we head to the rookie draft with pick 8 and list Benning as a Category B rookie.
Rather than pass on pick 68 (which will come in to around pick 58 by the time that pick rolls around), we could trade to a club for a F4. That pick could be quite valuable for a club that has matched earlier bids like WB, GWS, Collingwood, St Kilda etc. who have had a heap of picks moved to the back end of the draft.

If a player like Goater is available at 21 then I honestly think we’ll just use the pick. In that case we’d be looking for two very good picks and/or late 2nd and a F1/F2. According to Twomey and Fox a number of clubs between 12 and 20 are considering Goater.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
There does seem to be a concerning amount of half-backs in this draft

I could see the Eagles grabbing Sinn considering Hurn and Sheppard will retire soon. Brisbane will probably opt for one at one of their picks too with Rich+Birchall on the way out.
..... we could consider him, or Chesser, or Brown. Good prospects, wrong position.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Goater could flop or work out like Zac Bailey. I like the pick, but not too early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Really lazy stuff from him.

im sure I read him earlier in the thread bagging Warner.

”hey let’s pick him at 21 for Freo”.
the bloke is a muppet

here he is bagging Chesser and Warner:

Mutineer said:
Campbell Chesser can't even make your top 70 prospects?

Fair dinkum mate you have to be having a laugh.
Had a poor season and was unable to influence in any of the games I've seen him appear. Didn't find him damaging on the outside and he wasn't winning a meaningful amount of his own ball, so he's not one I'm excited about and have firmly in the category of someone who I'd let someone else pick.

Warner is the same this year and is another who could go late first.

I can't say I share the excitement many others do around outside players.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
im sure I read him earlier in the thread bagging Warner.

”hey let’s pick him at 21 for Freo”.
the bloke is a muppet

here he is bagging Chesser and Warner:

Had a poor season and was unable to influence in any of the games I've seen him appear. Didn't find him damaging on the outside and he wasn't winning a meaningful amount of his own ball, so he's not one I'm excited about and have firmly in the category of someone who I'd let someone else pick.

Warner is the same this year and is another who could go late first.

I can't say I share the excitement many others do around outside players.
I like Warner and would be happy if he finds his way to us, but not at 21. A trade down if that pick might get us Warner and Lohman.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
Sheldrick is a matchwinner but he is relatively short and one-paced. He manchilded his way through the Colts finals series and the last under-19s game, shaking off tacklers and generally imposing himself on the game through will and brute force.

Will that translate to the elite level?

Who knows. But it's a bloody good start.

I reckon he's great but I am a tad biased as his uncle Jezza is an old mate of mine. (Jezza was Claremont's FF in 94 and was therefore included in Fremantle's inaugural squad.)

My fear is he ends up at the Wiggles.

(Incidentally, the Swannies kid who dropped a knee on him in the Colts GF - Elijah Hewitt - is one to watch out for next year. Definitely first round if not a top 10 prospect.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back