List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, time for my yearly sook about the draft being spread across two nights!

I f***ing hate it.
Now the first round has to be dragged out by player interviews in-between picks and listening to Brad Johnson/David King pretend to know what they're talking about while Kevin Sheehan carries the whole show.

PS, am I right in hearing that JVR wasn't invited to attend the first night? Could bode well for him sliding?
I thought I read somewhere that only 14 were invited.

Well, time for my yearly sook about the draft being spread across two nights!

I f***ing hate it.
Now the first round has to be dragged out by player interviews in-between picks and listening to Brad Johnson/David King pretend to know what they're talking about while Kevin Sheehan carries the whole show.

PS, am I right in hearing that JVR wasn't invited to attend the first night? Could bode well for him sliding?

I would agree but in this case it actually works out for us as it makes our pick 19 valuable. So this year I'm fine with it

My biggest gripe is that its on a ******* Wednesday and Thursday. They want the first round to be primetime and have a break to the second round? Great. Have the first round at 7:30 PM Friday night, and the rest of the draft at 3:00 PM on Saturday afternoon. There is literally no reason whatsoever to have it in the middle of the week

Yeah, I actually like the split draft but unfortunately I work Thursday nights so can't even watch day 2, most of the fun stuff like trades happen on day 2 so I'm missing the best one

Waterworths late mail

Johnson slides to Port at 14!

Erasmus slides to Richmond at 17!

JVR gets through to the second round

Some wild picks in his one like Motlop at 15, which would be crazy by the giants

Hobbs and Amiss for Freo

I could see us trying to trade back into the first round if Johnson and Erasmus are still available then.

I am sincerely coming around to the idea of Hobbs. I could tolerate a Taylor Adams/Ollie Wines bull midfielder.

... As long as we get Amiss also. We just need him.

I could see us trying to trade back into the first round if Johnson and Erasmus are still available then.
With what?

If we give up our F1 then we better be playing deep into finals next year, otherwise we are giving up opportunities at a quality tall

Also we can't even give up F1 without bringing back an F2 and F3

Absolutely horrendous, and no consideration for us the kids (!) who have to sit and wait ALL DAY to hear their names, then wait ANOTHER whole day to finish things off. I’m with FUS_RO_DAH - the way it’s organised is horseshit.
When the AFL schedule games do you think they consider whether players like playing at the scheduled time? Or whether the supporters that make the effort to go to the game actually like going at the scheduled time? Why would the draft be any different?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sincerely coming around to the idea of Hobbs. I could tolerate a Taylor Adams/Ollie Wines bull midfielder.

I'm the same and will be happy with Amiss and either Hobbs or Johnson - whomever Walls thinks will be better (though I think both will have solid careers)

Yeah but he isn't pushing out Tabs or Lobb so Treacy then plays WAFL. I just think they will take a KPF later because of this.

Same height as Caleb Serong?
So you want the players
I'm the same and will be happy with Amiss and either Hobbs or Johnson - whomever Walls thinks will be better (though I think both will have solid careers)
Obviously Walls would know more than me but Erasmus sounds like the cherry on top for our midfield. I don't understand why we wouldn't choose him (Johnson makes sense).

And we can already put together a very decent backline without Pearce or Hamling, whom are actually still in the land of the living.
Pearce is 26 and our best defender.

Replacing him doesn't even improve our best 22 in the medium term. We won't win a premiership replacing good players because they're injured a bit. The competition is too even for us to do that without being significantly short of good enough in other areas.

Amiss with our first to stop Richmond taking him, Johnson/Hobbs with our next as either will be great gets (the whole we need a different sized midfielder to Brayshaw and Serong is a bit weird, you just need clean players in the centre and Hobbs sure is that).

19 I think we trade, from the complete unknown nature of this draft there is surely going to be some clubs top 10 rated player sitting there at 19 and they will come knocking.
I reckon we will get a future first and 30s pick or a f2 and 20s pick out of someone to drop down when we bid off the pick to the clubs fighting for it and there is no way we are turning it down. If JVR is there at that next pick I'm assuming (hoping) we nab him and if he isn't then we just take Williams instead.

6 (8) - Amiss
8 (10) - Johnson (tiges take Hobbs is my bet)
25-35th pick - Williams
50ish after bids - Hough or Serong
55ish after bids - Some complete unknown bush league prospect who becomes the best player from this draft crop or Benning if he is bid on (unlikely I would think)
Cat B- Benning
Rookie- Outside pace/endurance winger

And then after all this I will wake up from my dream I guess :p

Last edited:
When the AFL schedule games do you think they consider whether players like playing at the scheduled time? Or whether the supporters that make the effort to go to the game actually like going at the scheduled time? Why would the draft be any different?
It used to start at 10am. 💁🏻‍♀️ And game time is slightly different to the day/night when your future is decided and your dream is either realised or shattered. Don’t care about viewers (that was a joke…), but I feel sorry for the kids. All I’m saying.

The only thing the AFL cares about when scheduling games is the TV audience. So why the * isn't the draft on a Friday night?

I fell down that rabbit hole and watched some highlights of Fyfe as a junior. Would NOT have picked him to become one of the best AFL players of all time, or even a full-time AFLer honestly. So, hoping the club has a nice sneaky future superstar flying under the radar they pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back