Draft Expert Chris25's 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Young his agent? No wonder we didn’t pick him, that guy hates Freo. Ok I am officially off the Johnson bandwagon, let’s trade down and get a future 2nd as part of the deal!
We took Erasmus and Young was centre screen celebrating with him when he got picked

Hi Chris, very happy Baggers snared Jesse Motlop , he’ll be a positive asset seems a confident & level headed youngster too. Reckon Nick Austin & team have done well, this trade period.

Last edited:

Hi Chris, very happy Baggers snared Jesse Motlop , he’ll be a positive asset seems a confident & level headed youngster too. Reckon Nick Austin & team have done well, this trade period.

Smart work by them. Let Fremantle do the hard work in developing Cerra and Motlop, and reap the benefits.

Only 5 of my top 50 players not picked up yesterday - Ned Long, Cooper Beecken, Lewis Rayson, Josh Browne and Charlie Dean. And of those, Dean was the only one I really expected to be. Usually my rankings are filled with guys going undrafted.

Only 5 of my top 50 players not picked up yesterday - Ned Long, Cooper Beecken, Lewis Rayson, Josh Browne and Charlie Dean. And of those, Dean was the only one I really expected to be. Usually my rankings are filled with guys going undrafted.

Impressive mate!!! pipped me by one managed 44/50

Do you have us taking someone today Chris?

I'm leaning towards no...I think we'll keep the spot up our sleeves, maybe trial a few in the pre season. Guys like Rayson, Birt, Stretch, Watson. I suspect if we do take someone it'll be a Victorian we like who would probably get an invite from someone else - like a Caminiti or Ballantyne.

Thoughts on the guys North has taken? Bergman and Curtis seemed pretty out there picks

More than one club spoke to Dean didn't they?
Surely he gets a rookie spot somewhere.

Thoughts on the guys North has taken? Bergman and Curtis seemed pretty out there picks
Paul Curtis was interviewed by all 18 clubs from memory, a lot of interest.

Fair enough. Had heard nothing about him until he got drafted
I think his Covid scare attracted some attention:

There's an interview after this one where he talks about having to do phone interviews instead of face to face interviews in early November. He certainly had his fans pre-draft, I think he'll do well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think his Covid scare attracted some attention:

There's an interview after this one where he talks about having to do phone interviews instead of face to face interviews in early November. He certainly had his fans pre-draft, I think he'll do well.
North seems to really value the jets kids after also picking up Eddie Ford last year.

Miller Bergman is one player I liked this year, I had him inside my top 30 earlier on before he drifted out and ended at #56. I think he has potential across half back or a wing, but expect him to take a few years. I've always liked skinny players who can mark overhead, also can't teach footskills like his. No guarantees, but he has enough to work with. Paul Curtis wasn't in my top 60, but was one I'd still consider. He has talent as a small forward, probably an above average small - I'd have gone with Bazzo though if I was picking.

Miller Bergman is one player I liked this year, I had him inside my top 30 earlier on before he drifted out and ended at #56. I think he has potential across half back or a wing, but expect him to take a few years. I've always liked skinny players who can mark overhead, also can't teach footskills like his. No guarantees, but he has enough to work with. Paul Curtis wasn't in my top 60, but was one I'd still consider. He has talent as a small forward, probably an above average small - I'd have gone with Bazzo though if I was picking.
Some have been saying bazzo has some serious stay home factors. Hence why we didn't take him with the earlier pick. Agree it would have been nice to take a key defender at some point.

I'm leaning towards no...I think we'll keep the spot up our sleeves, maybe trial a few in the pre season. Guys like Rayson, Birt, Stretch, Watson. I suspect if we do take someone it'll be a Victorian we like who would probably get an invite from someone else - like a Caminiti or Ballantyne.
Is there any chance we take Cripps or Browne mate?

Has we really stuffed up drafting Kai Lohmann so high Chris25 ?

If you like someone, you go get them. I personally didn’t have Lohmann so high, but it sounds like he’d have gone in the 20-30 range anyway.

Has we really stuffed up drafting Kai Lohmann so high Chris25 ?
No you haven't, he has X factor oozing from every pore in his body. Speed, agility, mercurial aerial ability for a player his size...going to be a nightmare for defenders when he lifts his endurance.

No you haven't, he has X factor oozing from every pore in his body. Speed, agility, mercurial aerial ability for a player his size...going to be a nightmare for defenders when he lifts his endurance.

Sort of like Izak Rankine? Thats the feeling I got from his highlights and from most reports/comments in the media...

Hi Chris, what do you know about Worner? His highlight reel looks great!

Certainly a lot to like about Worner. He’s not someone I really took much notice of during the season, and I won’t pretend I know everyone. It’s hard with such limited matches over the past couple of years.

But he ticks a lot of boxes, especially what I look for - good overhead and a nice kick. Both things I don’t think you can teach. It’s also impressive that he’s used the lack of matches to train and turn himself into a running machine. As a side note, I’d have concerns over any draftee who wasn’t doing personal bests after the last two years where all you can do is train and run.

But back to Worner, he does basically seem like a younger and more versatile Brett Bewley. And I don’t mean that in a bad way.

Certainly a lot to like about Worner. He’s not someone I really took much notice of during the season, and I won’t pretend I know everyone. It’s hard with such limited matches over the past couple of years.

But he ticks a lot of boxes, especially what I look for - good overhead and a nice kick. Both things I don’t think you can teach. It’s also impressive that he’s used the lack of matches to train and turn himself into a running machine. As a side note, I’d have concerns over any draftee who wasn’t doing personal bests after the last two years where all you can do is train and run.

But back to Worner, he does basically seem like a younger and more versatile Brett Bewley. And I don’t mean that in a bad way.
What do you think the logistics of scouting someone like Worner (and Treacy) would be given the limited opportunities to see them live? I am imagining clubs may be a bit relient on junior coaches and the likes.

Really strong focus on the known quantity of local boys for the WA clubs, but also for Geelong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back