Teams 2021 Your Starting Round 1 Team

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
I figure its worthwhile creating a thread where we can post and talk about our completed teams. I'll kick us off with my pretty shitty team. I'm struggling this round as the few uber premiums i invested in all underperformed something shocking, im referring to Gawn(c), Neale, Grundy & Dangerfield. Then to compound the issue, my high-end midpricers like Caldwell and De Goey scored well below what i had hoped. Only 3 players have raised the bat so far - Dusty, Gulden & Short.

Looking at my last minute selection calls

- Berry over Rowe (via Scott)
- Anderson over Rowbottom
- Sharp over Highmore
- Butts over Cox
- Dusty over Cripps/McCluggage

So i won some of them and lost some. I'm super glad i went with Dusty in the end. I'm a little disappointed i didnt go with my gut with Will Day. He was an awkward price and to be honest he didnt feature in too many of my plan teams but i was considering him as a nice POD.

I've obviously gone with a fair few PODs which adds to my excitement every season. My biggest concern currently is my forwardline. 4 of my 5 non-rookies have scored below expectations and Butters is yet to play. If Danger is suspended for a couple weeks i may go to Titch via Dusty.

I think ive run out of things to mention so there you have it. Looking forward to seeing many teams better than my own posted in this thread :p

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 4.27.54 am.png

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I figure its worthwhile creating a thread where we can post and talk about our completed teams. I'll kick us off with my pretty shitty team. I'm struggling this round as the few uber premiums i invested in all underperformed something shocking, im referring to Gawn(c), Neale, Grundy & Dangerfield. Then to compound the issue, my high-end midpricers like Caldwell and De Goey scored well below what i had hoped. Only 3 players have raised the bat so far - Dusty, Gulden & Short.

Looking at my last minute selection calls

- Berry over Rowe (via Scott)
- Anderson over Rowbottom
- Sharp over Highmore
- Butts over Cox
- Dusty over Cripps/McCluggage

So i won some of them and lost some. I'm super glad i went with Dusty in the end. I'm a little disappointed i didnt go with my gut with Will Day. He was an awkward price and to be honest he didnt feature in too many of my plan teams but i was considering him as a nice POD.

I've obviously gone with a fair few PODs which adds to my excitement every season. My biggest concern currently is my forwardline. 4 of my 5 non-rookies have scored below expectations and Butters is yet to play. If Danger is suspended for a couple weeks i may go to Titch via Dusty.

I think ive run out of things to mention so there you have it. Looking forward to seeing many teams better than my own posted in this thread :p

View attachment 1082059

Can you please change the thread title to 'Your Round 1 Team' because 5 rookies on-field is
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

I've decided to take a lot of risks this year, to be more value based and build up a team for the Finals - as I've had enough of crashing out.

I'm only a few injuries away from a foetal position - but, what the heck - YOLO.

So far so good.
I'm glad that I didn't spend a mint on the big 3: Gawn, Neale and Lloyd

If Flynn can get 70, I'll be happy.
My last choice was Danger over Dusty - I've gone with Danger to give me a Captain choice - but, now he's suspended I might have to reverse this :mad:

I've noticed a pattern with my premiums, good first half then faded in the 2nd half: Fyfe, Zerrett and Cripps

But, I'm quite happy with my mid-pricers ($200K - $500K), yes even Dow.

I'm not too stressed about the points left on the bench, as I wanted 30 players.

It's a long season though, but a relatively good start - i.e. not in the 30K region for me this year after RD1 - that's a win :D

1616279479917.png

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
General summary:
Went with a rookie R2 as I expect Flynn to be one of the better scoring rookies for the year. Gut said Hunter R3 at 102k but consensus from Crows fans and SA people was he wasn't much chop - however, he only needs over 43 to beat Meek now. By end of round 2 hopefully the time line of Marshall and Ryder returning will be clearer and I may correct this if it looks like Hunter will be a better cash generator.

No complaints with my premiums so far, bar Gawn, but slow starts aren't new to him. Can't complain about captaincy choice because I was choosing between Lloyd and Gawn and neither went over 100 in the end. Merrett high disposals and only just over 100 not great, Petracca a lot of time forward which may or may not be good long term.

Gulden and Rowe on the bench hurt but overall with Walsh, Brayshaw, Dusty, Daniel, Stewart, Ridley, Macrae, think I'm held in good stead.

Other than Ziebell, I also chose to stay away from players who I think are just average players. This was particularly to do with the midpricers/high priced rookies. Dow is one. Nick Hind is a run and blast it without much thought player. Tyson might score well early but if we want to initiate a genuine rebuild under Noble, he just can't last.

Overall looking good to start.

Probably look at Brockman and Meek as stand by for rookie corrections, with Mcdonald and Hunter the eyes on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210321_093329_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210321_093329_com.android.chrome.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210321_093335_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210321_093335_com.android.chrome.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 27
If there are any more changes to the lineup from here tragedy has struck.

859802B7-5CA0-4A7C-9E8C-13B00FAF7198.jpeg

Never wanted Bruhn but Lazarro not actually debuting means he is now mine and will be a SC stud.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
This is my starting side ......you can spot the mistake, Clark was the designated D6 ....meaning no DEF Rookies, as I have zero confidence in them

I'm betting the Mids continue to be the primary scorers ....but suring up the DEF meant having Hunter Clark at D5 versus my preferred Heeney at F2 .....we'll see how that pans out

Yesterday, I'm thinking BRIS / SYD game was going to be affected by rain ......so I swung Clark into the Mids and benched Gulden

First "dumb" decision of the year ..... I should have checked the weather forecast

1616284018224.png

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
This is my final team. 12 premos, technically 3 mid pricers, although 2 are not much more than expensive rookies and 7 rookies on field.

Have taken the risk of playing Flynn at F2 over Grundy as I feel the replacement premo for Grundy will score almost as much as he would while Flynn as first ruck for GWS should outscore most $124k rookies on other lines.

Hate shoulder injuries so players like Titch, Cripps, Rowell and Oliver have been left out until they score consistently well enough to show they're over them.

Going in with 1 POD (May) and 1 speculative midpricer (LDU).

After a poor 3 games to start the season last year May averaged around 102 for the rest of the year and has shown he can score in the 140s. He's tremendous value.

If anyone had suggested last year that I'd be selecting LDU I'd have laughed, but he's had a tremendous preseason and looks to be playing in a very SC friendly role. Not only that but he simply looks different this year with the mature look of a man instead of the boy he used to be. Looks the most likely break-out candidate to me.

All other non-rookies have shown they can average 90+ for an extended time in the past. Most them have averaged 100+.

Not rapt in including expensive rookies like Butts, Campbell or even non rookie Impey and they may be corrections to cheaper options in the first couple of rounds if they don't score well enough. That's okay as early rookie corrections are one of the legitimate things our trades are for.

Screenshot 2021-03-21 103733.jpg

This is as close to a G&R team as I've ever had. 11 premos plus Rowell, Taranto and Butters. One midpricer sub 300k, seven on field rookies, the dearest being 154k. Fluked the important rookies yesterday so hoping for 2300, but prepared to be disappointed.

Screenshot_2021-03-21 My Team - The Herald Sun KFC SuperCoach(1).png
Screenshot_2021-03-21 My Team - The Herald Sun KFC SuperCoach.png

Always a fan of the GnR.

Backs:
Laird. Lil nugget who loves to tackle and is good for 25+ touches per. Midfield numbers excellent since moved. DPP no brained. 110avg.
Daniel. First time owner of the helmet. Another lil nugget with clean ball use and evasive skill. Taking kick ins for added easy pts. Very consistent and safe pick. 100avg.
Stewart. Just love his style. Old skool kent. A full package defender really. Intercept marks/contested possessions/designated kick out. 105avg.
Short. Another first time pick for me. New rules really suit his style. Demands the ball and loves to kick long which equals high DE%. Free points taking most kick ins. High ceiling. 105avg.
Young. Bullish on this kid. In Freos best 22 so JS no issue. Ticks many SC boxes. Beautiful left peg and will see plenty off it off HB. Decision making a little off at times but he’ll get better with time. Only played 6 games so in essence, still a rookie. 80vg.
Rookies. Highmore/Kosi/Sharp.

Midfield:
Neale.
Expensive and had a limited PS. Despite this I was hesitant to NOT pick him, particularly as I passed on Lloyd in defense. Slow start yesterday but expect to be one of the very best throughout the season. His numbers speak for themselves. Avg 125
Bontempelli. Always on my radar but not gonna lie, his PS game really peaked my interest like many others. Have a gut feel the stars are going to align with him this year and that he’s going to go huge. Has all the tools and we know CD love him. My Brownlow tip. Avg 123.
Zerrett. Contract years are a great motivator. He’s a ball magnet and a good user of the ball. A big year ahead. Avg 118.
Jelly. Pure silk. He’s healthy and has a massive ceiling. Both huge factors in his selection. Just waiting to bust out. Risk pick based on past history but high reward. 6% POD. Avg 122.
Fyfe. An old favorite. Like Jelly he’s healthy A big reason to start him. History says he’ll break down but until then he should hold his price and be an easy sideways trade if required. A risk pick but could be a big reward. Avg 119.
Rookies: Powell/Berry/Gulden/Jordan/Brockman/Fyfe(dpp and looping donut)

Rucks: Gawn Grundy Flynn
Got heavily bent over by NicNat last year so I said I won’t F around this year and go Gawndy. Set n forget. Not a great start but we’ll see it how plays out. Both to avg 120+.

Forwards:
Dunkley
. I had Dusty @F1 for most of the PS and right up till Monday. Tweaked a few rookies here n though and ‘upgraded’ to the slightly more expensive Dunks. The Bevo factor a concern but I’ll still back him to put up huge numbers. The Dogs will be SC friendly with their stars. If he plays majority mid (as he did Friday night) he’ll be SP status. Massive ceiling despite numerous bulldog pigs. Top forward this year (yes he’ll outdo Dusty...just) Avg 114.
Ziebell Daniher the next popular picks due to price and JS. Pretty standard there.
Rookies: Campbell/Warner/Rowe/Bergman/Scott.

Overall I’ve gone for the seagull picks in defense, the SP bulls in the mids, SetnForget rucks and a standard forward line with value picks/rookies.

CarnThePies
92F93ECB-EF19-403A-B659-0FFF6DF35BE4.jpeg
2288094A-99E2-4CC8-A2A6-1EA3AC747D86.jpeg

CrozaN

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1616291364494.png

After a million changes, even some coming to right before the games i have decided on this.

Structure remained same all year, for those that know me, i tend to like running with a stacked mid to start and this year again warranted it with so many rookies all over the ground.

I love my uniques but this year only managed to squeeze in 3 and 2 were last second
-Ryan (had all pre season but when heard is was fine and named got him, his scoring last year was absurd for a defender hoping he can continue that)
-Tich another, took a risk without knowing the extent of his injury, last night just showed he is the Tich of old and the 3% ownership is a sweet factor.
-Walsh- loved his ending to last year, loved his pre season, lock for me.

Rest of the team is pretty standard really.

1616296897732.png

Was deserate to avoid fielding rookies down back without spending a truck load. Success so far, with the back 6 combining for 569 points

Macrae and Petracca pick themselves. Adams averaged 118 or something when Treloar was missing last year. Putrid Round 1 and is on notice. Enough cash in bank to do a direct swap to Titch, Fyfe, Boak, Lyons.

Preferred Walsh to Cripps. Worked out Round 1. Rowell might only have played 4 games, but what a 4 games. Tom Green the punt.

Rucks - well, bad start, but comfortable they'll be #1 and #2 by years end

Went cheap up forward. Butters looks good. Caldwell a bit ripped off last night I thought but should be okay. Atkins incredibly low ownership given Geelong confirmed on Twitter he has a new role off half-back. Geelong were terrible and he still scored 80. Good pickup for price. Ziebell picks himself.

Regrets starting mature, strong bodied Scott over Rowe and Campbell/Powell over Gulden/Jordon, but reckon I made the right call at the start of the round and probably wouldn't have changed this if I had my time again. I can't remember ever fielding the right rookies in Round 1.

Happy that I appear to have absolutely nailed all the rookies and there's none I've missed that I can think of.

No trades next week - Adams the only one on notice, and I'll change the rookies fielded and watch them pump out the complete reverse of scores from Round 1.

EFL Boy

Spec Moderator
May 17, 2008
Minneapolis
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Panthers, NYR, Bulls, Badgers
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 5.14.53 pm.png

Pretty happy with how the team ended up. Hindsight shows some of the starting rookies would have best been placed on the bench, but can't fault that, so whilst a minor regret, can't do anything about it.

All premos (except the rucks) scored pretty bloody well. Cripps the one to be slightly concerned about, but at that price I'm still backing him in.

Have $48k in the bank & with all the rookies playing and scoring alright, I don't feel rushed to make any moves right now.

Only 1 week in & this could all end up the opposite next week but pretty content so far!

View attachment 1082632

Pretty happy with how the team ended up. Hindsight shows some of the starting rookies would have best been placed on the bench, but can't fault that, so whilst a minor regret, can't do anything about it.

All premos (except the rucks) scored pretty bloody well. Cripps the one to be slightly concerned about, but at that price I'm still backing him in.

Have $48k in the bank & with all the rookies playing and scoring alright, I don't feel rushed to make any moves right now.

Only 1 week in & this could all end up the opposite next week but pretty content so far!
What the hell were you thinking with two Emergencies in the MID?

The final line-up of The LDU Experience for R1

Only real fail was C on Neale. Missed a few rookie points on the bench but also had Flynn and Gulden on field.

The cheap ruck line paid off for R1 - I hope it's a sign of things to come.
90d66fb509eeec223b33c99834eb4aed.jpg

Back