2022–23 UEFA Nations League (Winners: Spain)

Remove this Banner Ad

In contrast, Klopp trusts TAA to be his attacking RB in a 4-3-3 and Liverpool have conceded the least goals in three of the last four seasons.

In Klopp's system Hendo covers for Trent being up field. VVD's CB partner usually has pace for balls that get past the high line (2018/19 was Gomez until he had his leg broken. From then on Matip was the main man until last season Konate stepped up for big games).

England don't play Hendo in the same role that he does and most of England's CB pairings are pretty poor at covering. Maybe part of the reason Southgate likes to play so defensively as he is afraid of being opened up.

Which is silly because England seem to be conceding at will anyway.

You don’t think a 5 week break is significant?

I didn't say it wasn’t. I was saying those players getting that break, will not need to play extra fixtures in their season.

Playing an extra 7 games in 5 weeks is pretty significant. Add in a busier than normal festive season to fit the season in is a recipe for exhaustion.

Whatever is made up will be done over several months. It’s unusual circumstances as the World Cup is normally in June/July but it is what it is.

You shouldn't have to play an extra defensive mid to cover for your RWBs lack of defensive ability IMO.

James is starting over him as hes just in better form atm. Theres no gap between the two of them anymore and who evers playing better will get the start.

Agreed on the first point, Trent has won just about everything playing in an extremely attacking 4-3-3, he doesn’t need extra cover to play well. His defending is fine. Not amazing, but no where near as bad as is being made out.

On the second point, I think that’s what will end up happening with whoever the next England manager is, but I don’t think Trent will ever get a proper look in with Southgate. Not when he is saying things like Trippier is a better player. Which is fine really, it’s his call to make, and like every manager he will live and die by his decisions.

In Klopp's system Hendo covers for Trent being up field. VVD's CB partner usually has pace for balls that get past the high line (2018/19 was Gomez until he had his leg broken. From then on Matip was the main man until last season Konate stepped up for big games).

England don't play Hendo in the same role that he does and most of England's CB pairings are pretty poor at covering. Maybe part of the reason Southgate likes to play so defensively as he is afraid of being opened up.

Which is silly because England seem to be conceding at will anyway.

Rice is more than capable of covering for wingbacks who push forward. But if you watch TAA or Cancelo they often drift infield so that they end up central on the edge of the penalty area. They can both win games from a nominal RB position. Southgate doesn't have the tactical nous or imagination to handle such creative players.

I agree with you that Southgate is afraid of his defence being opened up. But playing 7 defenders who still concede isn't the answer. England's strength is their forward players. When they get on the front foot and get players in the box they look very dangerous.

The two Nations League games were a wasted opportunity. Maguire played both games and was poor yet his possible replacement Tomori didn't get any minutes. Toney was called into the squad as a possible replacement for Kane but didn't get off the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back