2022–23 UEFA Nations League (Winners: Spain)

Remove this Banner Ad

How did Hungary not make the World Cup? They’ve beaten England 1-0, drawn to Germany 1-1, destroyed England 4-0 and now beaten Germany 1-0. A side that can do all that shouldn’t be finishing fourth in a World Cup qualification group behind absolute plodders.

And what do we make of England? Even their “Golden Generation”’s are s**t.
Stoichkov retired.

s**t coach is s**t.
I wouldn't even suggest this is a golden generation either. Some of them are good players, one or two are great, but others are distinctly meh. As long as Maguire is playing, we might as well be playing with nine men (he's that much of a hindrance), and the midfield generals like Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard... they don't exist.

It appears the game against Germany will be dead rubber (at least for us), but I can't see Southgate going for it or experimenting, as that's not who he is.

Looking ahead, I'm sticking to my notion that reaching the quarter-finals would mark a good World Cup for us.

I wouldn't even suggest this is a golden generation either. Some of them are good players, one or two are great, but others are distinctly meh. As long as Maguire is playing, we might as well be playing with nine men (he's that much of a hindrance), and the midfield generals like Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard... they don't exist.

It appears the game against Germany will be dead rubber (at least for us), but I can't see Southgate going for it or experimenting, as that's not who he is.

Looking ahead, I'm sticking to my notion that reaching the quarter-finals would mark a good World Cup for us.

Geez I hate the poms more than most but this is a harsh review.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez I hate the poms more than most but this is a harsh review.
No one can hate the England football team more than the English ;)

I backed Southgate during the Euros, because during that tournament, and the preceeding World Cup, he delivered results, which is after all the name of the game. However, he has to be able to adapt, and react, to changing circumstances, upcoming talent, and changes in form. So far, he hasn't done that. OK, so he isn't working with the best England squad in history, but last night proved, once again, that we look at our best when we attack the game. Sterile, timid football won't win anything for anyone, but having a go might actually earn a result or two. At the very least, if we went out swinging, we could hold our heads high.

As it stands, I think we can make our way to the quarter-finals of the World Cup, but we're likely to run into France, and how are the likes of Maguire and Shaw going to contain Mbappe? We'll get ripped to shreds (mind you, France are my tip to win it). We'd get comfortably beaten by most of the top teams. Brazil, Argentina, Spain, all of them will have a field day.

Southgate made the tough call on TAA, I dont see why he wouldn't on Maguire too. It's just weird.

TAA has been sent home from the last two England squads after not featuring in the first game. Southgate seems to prefer James and Trippier, which is fair enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if TAA's refusal to sing the national anthem has counted against him.

Maguire was dreadful against Germany. At fault for the first two goals and hoofed it a few times rather than passing. It's rare to sub off your centre backs but it would have been a mercy call.

TAA has been sent home from the last two England squads after not featuring in the first game. Southgate seems to prefer James and Trippier, which is fair enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if TAA's refusal to sing the national anthem has counted against him.

Maguire was dreadful against Germany. At fault for the first two goals and hoofed it a few times rather than passing. It's rare to sub off your centre backs but it would have been a mercy call.
I think there being 3 better RBs available for England is the real reason TAA is not playing.

I think there being 3 better RBs available for England is the real reason TAA is not playing.

3 more suitable RB’s for Southgate’s defensive system is more accurate. He’s the second best English player in the world behind Kane (yeah I said it), he’d be a walk up start for any decent manager imo.

I think it’s easy for Southgate to make the call on Trent because he’s never trusted him anyway, with Maguire it’s harder because he has been a dependable guy for him until recently. He has to make that call for the WC though.

3 more suitable RB’s for Southgate’s defensive system is more accurate. He’s the second best English player in the world behind Kane (yeah I said it), he’d be a walk up start for any decent manager imo.

I think it’s easy for Southgate to make the call on Trent because he’s never trusted him anyway, with Maguire it’s harder because he has been a dependable guy for him until recently. He has to make that call for the WC though.

Southgate plays five at the back with two number 6s. This would suit TAA as he's easily the best attacking English RB or RWB, and the formation could cover his defensive liabilities. But Southgate wants to have a seven man defence so no place for TAA until they go two goals behind and chasing the game.

In contrast, Klopp trusts TAA to be his attacking RB in a 4-3-3 and Liverpool have conceded the least goals in three of the last four seasons.

Southgate wants to play with 5 defenders, won't let the wingbacks push up. If he had half a brain he would dump Maguire, trust Rice / Henderson to cover for Trent and let him play high up the wing to feed the front 3 in a quick transition.

It's also funny to see England leaking goals constantly even with James or Trippier playing anyway. Southgate's tactics are archaic.

I hope Trent doesn't go to the world cup. Going to be a long season for those that do.

Southgate wants to play with 5 defenders, won't let the wingbacks push up. If he had half a brain he would dump Maguire, trust Rice / Henderson to cover for Trent and let him play high up the wing to feed the front 3 in a quick transition.

It's also funny to see England leaking goals constantly even with James or Trippier playing anyway. Southgate's tactics are archaic.

I hope Trent doesn't go to the world cup. Going to be a long season for those that do.
Not really. Players not going to the World Cup will be getting a 5 week break and the players going to the World Cup will play an extra 3-7 games in their season. There are 5 months of the season left after the World Cup, they won’t die of exhaustion.

Not really. Players not going to the World Cup will be getting a 5 week break and the players going to the World Cup will play an extra 3-7 games in their season. There are 5 months of the season left after the World Cup, they won’t die of exhaustion.

Playing an extra 7 games in 5 weeks is pretty significant. Add in a busier than normal festive season to fit the season in is a recipe for exhaustion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back