Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwan566

Team Captain
Mar 15, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bit more composure this time. No more playing on in the goal square Dakota! Should be good really feel like Dakota has built into the season and she is playing much better than at the start of the yeat

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I put this on the main board so may as well post on Lions
An idea to get a 17 game season without clashing much with the mens competition.
I am sure a lot won't like the suggestion. However the ladies competition is very compromised as it is

On the assumption that the ladies will be paid an increase in salary according to the increased number of games
This should put them close to a full time salary. Nowhere near the mens but a much better calander year wage

This year the ladies played on these dates (using Lions as example):-
2022.....:- R1 start 9th Jan through to R 11 on 17th March. The GF that year around 9th April. Thats 10 games/weeks + 3 week finals format
Then S7 :- R1 start 28th Aug through to R 10 on 28th Oct. Thats 10 games/weeks plus a 4 week finals format
Total of 20 H & A games + any finals for calander year 2022
Similar proposal for 2023 but only 17 games + 4 week finals format
Start say 22nd Jan 2023 finish first half of the H & A season on 18th Mar 2023 being 9 games/weeks
Start 2nd half of H & A season on 9th Sep finish H & A season on 28th October being 8 games/weeks
Total 17 games so everyone plays each other once
Pros
Ladies get close to a full time wage
Any bad injuries to players in the first half of season get time to recover for the pointy end of the season
Season will be no more taxing than year 2022. (except paying more tax)
From the end of S7 they won't have to wait 9 months before the next season starts.
Thats a long time to keep up fitness levels. Of course the AFLW may change dates again and start in January
There is a reasonable break after Christmas, New Year period.
Not many mens clashes as dates similar to this year
An extra 63 televised games over the old 10 game format.
Assuming the TV media want the extra games. They may or may not want more televised games

Cons
A big break of 25 weeks between 1st and 2nd half of one season, but not as long for finalists.
This can be reduced by returning to training 5 weeks before 2nd half resumes.
So basically the AFLW will have 2 preseasons, but this could actually be good for skill developement

I am sure there are quite a few more cons, and i expect posters will let me know
Without a big overlap of the mens competition their are limits to how the AFLW can run a fair 18 team competition
They could try a conference type system again, but the initial attempt failed and once again not fair to all teams

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great to see a decent home crowd for the Cats....shame we can't provide that to our magnificent women.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great to see a decent home crowd for the Cats....shame we can't provide that to our magnificent women.
The Lions play well at Metricon so that is a positive.
After today's great win I assume the PF will also be at Metricon
However fans attending Metricon are not treated well
It was a home game for the Lions. Lions got a crowd of 2392. The Mel v Adel crowd was 2555. Cats v North 4338

Anyone going knew they would be sitting in, and facing the sun all through the game
A lot of people i know won't go to Metricon day games for that reason alone
Also the majority of play is on the interchange side of the ground. That side being the furtherest away from the sunny crowd side.
There is a perfectly good unused Suns members grandstand top tier and in the shade on the interchange side
But the powers that be must require some sort of crowd to appear on the TV. Hense everyone on that sunny side
Maybe the Suns refuse to open that members grandstand for other clubs who knows
One positive seating wise for today, is they opened the top tier on that sunny side

Also before all that you actually have to travel to Metricon
Heaps of traffic today
I left Mitchelton at 12.40pm and arrived at parking spot at 2.30pm. That's 45 minutes longer than usual

The Lions play well at Metricon so that is a positive.
After today's great win I assume the PF will also be at Metricon
However fans attending Metricon are not treated well
It was a home game for the Lions. Lions got a crowd of 2392. The Mel v Adel crowd was 2555. Cats v North 4338

Anyone going knew they would be sitting in, and facing the sun all through the game
A lot of people i know won't go to Metricon day games for that reason alone
Also the majority of play is on the interchange side of the ground. That side being the furtherest away from the sunny crowd side.
There is a perfectly good unused Suns members grandstand top tier and in the shade on the interchange side
But the powers that be must require some sort of crowd to appear on the TV. Hense everyone on that sunny side
Maybe the Suns refuse to open that members grandstand for other clubs who knows
One positive seating wise for today, is they opened the top tier on that sunny side

Also before all that you actually have to travel to Metricon
Heaps of traffic today
I left Mitchelton at 12.40pm and arrived at parking spot at 2.30pm. That's 45 minutes longer than usual
Traffic was s**t.
Hate going to that s**t hole.
If they make us play there during the Gabba re-build I may have to let my membership slide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's bcos our fans love to bitch and moan about 'Why aren't we playing the Gabba?!'
Bunch of ******* sooks most of them.
Qualifying final for Season 6 was at the Gabba earlier this year and there was a crowd of 2675.
It’s not necessarily the venue that is the issue.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Qualifying final for Season 6 was at the Gabba earlier this year and there was a crowd of 2675.
It’s not necessarily the venue that is the issue.

Then what is it?

We aren't enjoying winning bcos we're too good at it? And that creates a lack of motivation to go see the team since they are successful despite us being spectators?

Then what is it?

We aren't enjoying winning bcos we're too good at it? And that creates a lack of motivation to go see the team since they are successful despite us being spectators?
There simply just ain’t enough people who are hard core followers of the game yet.
Personally I think AFLW should be played at community grounds only until it grows enough to get decent crowds.
Springfield will be a great little community ground for our girls and somewhere they can call home.
Would be fantastic if it were ready for the Grand Final should they make it, because they might stand a chance of getting a decent crowd in of 8-10k.

On Insiders this morning, Corbin Middlemass said that the Lions need to find a community ground to play at, especially coming up to the Olympics. He is going to get a surprise when they announce that there is a ground at Springfield.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My take on reduced average crowd numbers
However total numbers on the increase due to a few factors, the main one being a big increase in games played

Fairly quick expansion to 18 teams - charging admission - Lions had no home ground i didn't do research into other teams
Covid interuption 2 years - Game still very congested after 7 seasons
No stable season time. When does next years season actually start ? January (7 week break after 2 seasons in one) or Aug (9 months away)
Fixture unfair until you play other teams at least once or back to conference system which may work longterm
Skill levels will improve more rapidly if players move from semi to full professional. That won't happen with a 10 week season

AFLW expansion to date reminder
2017 8 teams
2018 8 teams
2019 10 teams
2020 14 teams conference system with only 6 rounds. Season stopped due to covid. Only 1 final round played. No premiership cup awarded
2021 14 teams
2022 14 teams
S7 18 teams

Below attendance figures for AFLW since the start in 2017
I have taken them from Wikipedia who get them from : Australian Football
These figures are a bit different to the ones posted on the BF main board but still a good guide

YearTotal AttendanceAverage AttendanceGames Played + Notes
S 7231,370 (excludes finals)2,571 (excludes finals)90 (excludes finals) Will end with 99
2020205,0504,45846 Season stopped after 1st round of finals due to Covid 19.
Also a 6 round conference system started
2017198,0206,82829 First year of AFLW competition

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back