Women's Footy 2022-2023 AFLW season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I really like what Mikayla Pauga has shown so far. I can't explain it, she seems to have something unique/different in terms of game style, disposal etc. She is not the out n out combative type like Svarc or even Dawes, but to me she seems to have that McCluggage type class while playing. Can't wait to see what she becomes in the next few years.

I really like what Mikayla Pauga has shown so far. I can't explain it, she seems to have something unique/different in terms of game style, disposal etc. She is not the out n out combative type like Svarc or even Dawes, but to me she seems to have that McCluggage type class while playing. Can't wait to see what she becomes in the next few years.
I really like her as well, little hard to see Zimmy getting back in the team at the moment.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
It’s because AFLW is such a poor spectacle to watch, even the best teams have a large number of players who can’t get the basics right.

It’s a simple answer if people are prepared to be honest about it.

That's a matter of opinion Brett. I actually like watching women's footy, for the most part, especially when it's our team. I even like watching bog ordinary teams like WC, although I like watching them to see just how bad other teams are compared to us.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Cool assumption that I hate the competition but I hate terrible football.

We are in season 7 and there are still a large % of the comp that can’t catch, handpass or kick to an average level.

Despite these issues the AFL decided to expand the comp and increase salaries while at the same time crowd numbers are pitiful.

No one’s allowed to be critical of these issues without supporter getting overly precious.

Considering the fact that there hasn't been any clear pathway for females to fully develop their skills ofc the skill level is lower than the males. I'm not sure what people were expecting when the women's league started. In 20 yrs time the skill level will be excellent across the board bcos the playing pathway will have been well established.

Considering the fact that there hasn't been any clear pathway for females to fully develop their skills ofc the skill level is lower than the males. I'm not sure what people were expecting when the women's league started. In 20 yrs time the skill level will be excellent across the board bcos the playing pathway will have been well established.

Agreed. The passage last week from defense where we went Lutkins - Orla - Wardlaw - Bodey and then a thumping mark from Taylor Smith - it'll become a regular occurrence with improved skills. May take sometime to get there but the signs are good and it is heading in the right direction.

I felt Taylor was channeling a bit of Jonathan Brown when she latched on to that mark. Awesome to watch.

I get that some people only want to watch the highest version of a sport or discipline, but I'm usually quite as happy watching some local U16s - the standard of footy isn't usually all that important as people trying their best. And at the risk of repeating myself, I quite like the unpredictable nature of the AFLW as opposed the AFL which I can usually anticipate what's going to happen.

But I've never understood the need to deliberately go somewhere, as easy as it is virtually, and tell people you don't like something.

rwan566

Team Captain
Mar 15, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree I actually really like Aflw as it has something the afl has lost. 100 percent effort, you can really see the girls play for each other, the love of the game. This is something I wish our mens team would bring sometimes

Agree I actually really like Aflw as it has something the afl has lost. 100 percent effort, you can really see the girls play for each other, the love of the game. This is something I wish our mens team would bring sometimes
I do disagree with this a bit.
I think the boys always put in effort but sometimes the passion may be lacking a bit and or the want for the contest/intensity at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Considering what is happening up your way, I hope all the girls are triple-masked and cocooned for the next week or
so.
Freo got flag de-railed by Covid thanks to the AFL.
Don't want the Lionesses to endure the same.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is like the AFLW don't want anyone to go to this Metricon game

When hardly anyone turns up, and if the Lions win, it then becomes an easy decision to hold the GF in Melbourne

AFLW PRELIMINARY FINALS FIXTURE

Friday, November 18
Preliminary final 1: Brisbane v Adelaide at Metricon Stadium, 6.40pm AEST (Seven)

Saturday, November 19
Preliminary final 2: Melbourne v North Melbourne at Ikon Park, 3.10pm AEDT (Seven)

https://www.womens.afl/tickets/buy-tickets

Yeah Friday night on the GC is just about as impossible a footy trip as you can get. Would genuinely need to leave before 3 to guarantee you get there. Even then it's not a given
Deep down the AFL and AFLW admin really don't give a stuff about teams outside Melbourne. Also, having a season where the finals happen when there are only limited grounds available is madness.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah Friday night on the GC is just about as impossible a footy trip as you can get. Would genuinely need to leave before 3 to guarantee you get there. Even then it's not a given
I usually go with my daughter who i thought may be working her nurse shift on Friday
She text me last night saying she has the day off, so we will be making the trek
I think 3pm is the latest to leave Brisbane on a Friday. Any later you are asking for trouble unless you live on the south side of town
Just have to fill in time somewhere if traffic is okay until the game starts.
At a guess the gates will open around 5.30pm

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women

Being stuck on the M1 in peak hour is truly hell on earth. The timing of an important finals game on a Friday evening soon after most people finish work is pure hate for the Lions as far as I'm concerned.

Being stuck on the M1 in peak hour is truly hell on earth. The timing of an important finals game on a Friday evening soon after most people finish work is pure hate for the Lions as far as I'm concerned.

Go away. You are boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back