Training 2022 - 2023 Off-Season and Pre-Season training Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Reeves and Meek are clearly the 2 we'll run with, injury permitting.

It's whether Sam wants to run with Lynch as a key fwd. Some say he won't run with 3 rucks. Problem we'll have is when the ball hits the deck, he'll offer nothing defensively.

Will be an interesting 7 weeks.

Not so sure. He has a couple of goals from ground balls. Personally I don’t think we’ve seen enough of the young rucks to judge really

Last edited:
Given the injury to Lewis and rather than argue who is best, let’s play all 4 ruckmen and start them in the middle. Reeves wins the tap to any of the other 3 and they play hot potato (tapping the ball above their heads so no one can reach it) down the field rugby style and win a forward 50 stoppage. Our forward line is Breust wingard Moore butler brockman mackenzie. One ruck stays for the contest the other 3 drop back as interceptors. Lock the ball in our forward half until we score, rinse repeat.

From what Reeves has shown, and his pretty rapid development from a late start, he may already be a dominant centre bounce tap ruckman in the AFL …And he will only improve in this skill. No real surprise given his height and that he can jump.

Given that this is a development year for the Hawks, why not work with Reeves in a fwd structure with Greene being the lead up target and either Serong (as a 3rd marking tall) or Kosi (as a defensive tall). First ruck: as far as I can tell: both Meek and Lynch have the tools to hold down that position. Meek is the shiny and new thing for the Hawks, so maybe him…. But if not Lynch.
Others have said, Lewis missing for 1 game or 5 just provides an opportunity for someone else to develop in a new position. I’d develop Reeves as a Fwd, not on what he has shown (potential), but on what he could be.

And on Lewis: even if the injury is minor (2-3 weeks) I’d still be holding him back to ensure the injury is fully healed + a week AND THEN give him a few weeks of a mini-preseason... because why risk him.… and it fits the timeline stated by the Hawks. Lewis is a bonafide gun… this is known. It is time to find out what is not known… as in, what a fwd set up could look like without Lewis.

In a season when wins really don’t matter, find the positives and minimise the negatives… just don’t mess with in-between ideas. They will only result in in-between results.

There is nothing new in this world:

Last edited:
Thank you Big Hotdog and Matey...

Since the Mitch "mishap" this week at training, the overwhelming majority of posts have been around Jeka. Apart from the fact that Mitch hasn't ruptured his ACL and is mothballs for the season, people have either forgotten or are treating Kozi like rice paper. He did kick 6 in a pre-season match a couple of years ago and looked set to be the key man for that spot. However, circumstances including Injury and form had Kozi up forward, down back and in the Ruck. As people have alluded to already, he will not be paying back and nor will he be playing in the ruck. If there is no injury, Kozi will, in my opinion, be CHF and he has the opportunity this year to lock it in. He is quick, plays up the ground has good hands and can kick a goal. That leaves the vacant FF position until Mitch returns. I believe that position is already being eyeballed by Max Lynch. He has been used up forward with success in some of the simulation exercises. With Reeves and Meek, he knows that game time will more likely be Box Hill but the injury to Mitch could throw him a lifeline to the senior side. Already last year as a ruck going forward, Max had success. He also reads the play well, is quick for his size, is a brute and can take a strong mark. I think that he is ideal for the position. Throw Green into a pocket and then the opposition begins to have match-up problems.
Go Hawks!!!

The only comment I disagree with is Kosi having good hands, I am yet to see it consistently!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mate, settle.
It’s an opinion, OK?

As far as I‘m concerned, you’re one of the most opinionated posters on this forum. I’d hate to revisit some of the opinionated posts of yours over the last couple of years.

I‘ve seen a lot of Reeves, Lynch and Meek playing over the last season or 2.
And I regard Lynch as a good honest battler compared to the other 2 who I regard as superior footballers. And that’s after taking into account Covid, injuries or the Russian invasion of Ukraine, or anything else you’d like to mention.
Personally, I’d love to see Lynch in 2023 win the Brownlow and Norm Smith, but (on the optimistic assumption that we make the GF), I can’t see him playing in the best 22). That’s an opinion, OK?

On this issue, let’s see who Sam selects in round 1?

Regarding Moore, what’s this crap about “you know who you are”?
Moore’s early form was disappointing after playing a great grand final for Box Hill in 2018. But because of poor form in 2019 and 2020, he was almost delisted but put on the rookie list in 2020, thanks to 2 or 3 end of season games. OK, so he was close to being delisted by the club. As we know, he got a kick up the arse and turned his career around.
But people in 2019 and 2020 were entitled to question his position on our list - and your “you know who you are“ crap comments are just that.
So I take it you one of Dylan Moores detractors after a handful of games..
I think you need to settle mate I call it as I see it. Time will will tell who are our preferred two ruckman, way too early to call

So I take it you one of Dylan Moores detractors after a handful of games..
I think you need to settle mate I call it as I see it. Time will will tell who are our preferred two ruckman, way too early to call
I felt Moore was too slow to be a forward pocket early in his career. If that's being a detractor than I was one. I feel somewhat vindicated though considering it took him moving further up the ground to become the player he is now.

Just last season you were bemoaning people having written off Downie as soft, and that anyone who felt that obviously didn't watch the VFL. How did that work out for you?

Sorry the intrusion. Talking about Moore where has he been training. He had a ripper end to the year playing mid. Will he continue there, or move back to the hff.
I think he will start forward pinch hitting in the middle. Might spend decent time in the middle if the kids are struggling.
Most likely will push high up the ground when forward too .

Our track watchers might have a different view .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he will start forward pinch hitting in the middle. Might spend decent time in the middle if the kids are struggling.
Most likely will push high up the ground when forward too .

Our track watchers might have a different view .
If he improves even a little bit more which all signs point to a lot more he will demand his way into the middle, good things happen when he has the ball

By that logic we should have delisted Sicily and Hardwick.
Sicily won games off his own boot as a forward. Was tracking just fine but we had a need for good kicking behind the ball and he absolutely excelled at it.

He is an elite defender now. But he wasn't a lost cause as a forward just jaw droppingly good.

Hardwick too was doing fine.

I cannot believe posters can judge Jeka based on his four games in the forward line when the forward structure under AC and the forward entries were so poor in 2021. Jeka's strength at Box Hill was his mobility and he played well one on one. Playing for Hawthorn he found the majority of forward entries were long bombs which had three teammates competing for a mark and drawing three defenders. Three of likes of Lewis, Kosi, Jeka, Ceglar and McEvoy flying for a mark with no isolation in the forward half resulted in a congested ineffective forward line.
The importance of a footballer having confidence in his body and security cannot be understated. Jeka is very team oriented however he needs to be more assertive and demand the ball. He is only 21 years old and we know KPPs need more time.
He returned to training looking physically stronger and he has improved his running. His ball handling has been clean and his kicking with both feet is elite. He has taken some strong intercept marks.
There is no doubting his ability and I think it would be good if he put his hand up to return to the forward line.

Exactly. Jeka was tried and failed as a forward but as a back he does much better.
My own opinion is that with Mitch missing for the first couple it'd be the perfect time to have Ramsden debut and give him a taste, especially at the 'G.

Remember, it's not about us winning as many games as possible this year, it's about us seeing who's best to take us forward. And we'll only do that by giving younger players a shot.
Jeka played what 4 games as a forward? His first 3 in afl football and that's tried and failed? This being in 2021 with a less mature body. 10 touches and 2 goals in game 3.

Lewis wasn't great in his first AFL games either.

He then at the end of 2022 played as a defender now with 18 months extra body development, a more rounded game and having adapted better to the level after getting his first taste.

I'm sure the coaches know better than I but I think both Jeka forward and Kosi back where written off way too early (Conner downie too). Perhaps there are specific instructions they aren't doing or something but Kosi was an elite junior defender and started okay but had body issues. Jon Patton retires so we try kosi forward and he looked good. But I don't think there was evidence that he couldn't make it as a defender especially given the injuries and young age when trialled there.

Those who say Jeka's VFL form in 2021 saw how good he can be getting 20 touches, laser passes of either foot and kicking 4 or 5 goals.

I cannot believe posters can judge Jeka based on his four games in the forward line when the forward structure under AC and the forward entries were so poor in 2021. Jeka's strength at Box Hill was his mobility and he played well one on one. Playing for Hawthorn he found the majority of forward entries were long bombs which had three teammates competing for a mark and drawing three defenders. Three of likes of Lewis, Kosi, Jeka, Ceglar and McEvoy flying for a mark with no isolation in the forward half resulted in a congested ineffective forward line.
The importance of a footballer having confidence in his body and security cannot be understated. Jeka is very team oriented however he needs to be more assertive and demand the ball. He is only 21 years old and we know KPPs need more time.
He returned to training looking physically stronger and he has improved his running. His ball handling has been clean and his kicking with both feet is elite. He has taken some strong intercept marks.
There is no doubting his ability and I think it would be good if he put his hand up to return to the forward line.
It’s a bit the same with Kosi (36games 22yrs old) DGB (21 games 20 yrs old)

Many posters are happy to write them off.
Give them time to develop, get used to the AFL system with full pre seasons under their belts

Jeka played what 4 games as a forward? His first 3 in afl football and that's tried and failed? This being in 2021 with a less mature body. 10 touches and 2 goals in game 3.

He then at the end of 2022 played as a defender now with 18 months extra body development, a more rounded game and having adapted better to the level after getting his first taste.

I'm sure the coaches know better than I but I think both Jeka forward and Kosi back where written off way too early (Conner downie too). Perhaps there are specific instructions they aren't doing or something but Kosi was an elite junior defender and started okay but had body issues. Jon Patton retires so we try kosi forward and he looked good. But I don't think there was evidence that he couldn't make it as a defender especially given the injuries and young age when trialled there.

Those who say Jeka's VFL form in 2021 saw how good he can be getting 20 touches, laser passes of either foot and kicking 4 or 5 goals.

Yeah I still feel that Jeka is our best CHF prospect, given his mobility and his two-footedness. The whole field is open to him.

I hope this backline thing is purely to teach him some elements of the game that he lacks.

Sicily won games off his own boot as a forward. Was tracking just fine but we had a need for good kicking behind the ball and he absolutely excelled at it.

He is an elite defender now. But he wasn't a lost cause as a forward just jaw droppingly good.

Hardwick too was doing fine.
Sicily had some good games up forward but was inconsistent and dropped from the team on a number of occasions, he was then trialled down back, where as we know excelled.

Hardwick was recruited as a small forward played a couple games up there to no effect, was trialled down back and like Sicily has excelled.

Agree. Spot on.

Sicily had some good games up forward but was inconsistent and dropped from the team on a number of occasions, he was then trialled down back, where as we know excelled.

Hardwick was recruited as a small forward played a couple games up there to no effect, was trialled down back and like Sicily has excelled.
I always thought Sicily played well as a forward, but during his time as a forward early in his career there were a lot of people on bigfooty calling for him to be delisted ect, sometimes the reactions on bigfooty are weird tbh, sometimes they are justified. (I also don't get the DGB haters, he actually plays well, there are some games where we get dominated in midfield and the opposition kicks a lot of goals, but if you look at individual performances he does well, probably his biggest fault atm is his giving away a handful of frees by being frustrated)

Jeka is a player that has always had the skill and potential, but hasn't turned that into results, which is why he fell a bit in his ratings prior to being drafted, we started to see him dominate VFL for a short time where he was turning potential into results, I think he needs to now do that at the AFL level if given the chance, physically his AFL debut season, he got a bit lost in the forward line and dropped a few marks on the lead, but we also weren't playing our best footy, if he can have the confidence to play at the level, we could see him play some good footy.

Kosi gets results, he may be awkward at times and might not be the best trainer, but the last 2 seasons he has been a decent 2nd option, is he guaranteed a spot? I'm not so sure, but with Lewis injured that elevates him to have more responsibility in our forward lline for the time being.

I have an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach about Lewis and his knee.

Reading the article this morning quoting the club "We will see how it settles in the next days 10 days". fills me with dread about an ACL reco.
Didn’t fill me with confidence that article.

Feels like we hope not more than we are confident he doesn’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back