Training 2022 - 2023 Off-Season and Pre-Season training Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

As a benchmark, Collingwood's pre Christmas 2km time trial was won by Nick Daicos at 6:32.

Just on our list at the moment, we have CJ, Maginness, Ward, MacDonald, Moore, Long and Weddle who have beaten that by a fair margin at their respective combines / at club 2km time trials. We also have Amon who was the time trial champ at Port (3 x 1km), in addition to Bramble and Nash who would be close to that mark if not ahead.

No doubt we will be one of the fittest clubs in it.
Which is pretty crazy for a young bunch

I wouldnt worry about worpel doing a lot of things right in pre season. Seems to be finding his balance in kicking the ball especially into the forward line.

Special little get together at the drinks break at training. The boys went into a huddle around o sullivan. It was his turn to share his football story. It must have been funny as the boys broke into laughter a couple of times. They waited till he finished before going back to the drills.

Highlight of todays training was cooper stephens running inside 50 and Dgb ran to tackle him. Cooper just ran straight over him poor DGB was road kill.

Even last year I think we were a reasonably fit side with quite few decent middle distance runners.

Of course all the running capacity in the world won't help if we get smashed in contested ball / centre square clearances again. We were awful at that this year.

But we are getting some decent size in the midfield now so hopefully that won't be the case. Also a fit and firing ruck combo of Meek and Reeves should even the score in the middle.
Been stalking the bombers pre-season thread and seems like they have even worse times. Fans don't seem happy. There is also a comment on players not showing interest in Umpires presenting about interpretation of new rules( they do for every club) & Umpires giving the feedback to club.

Reading their thread, it feels like lot of players are coasting.

Been stalking the bombers pre-season thread and seems like they have even worse times. Fans don't seem happy. There is also a comment on players not showing interest in Umpires presenting about interpretation of new rules( they do for every club) & Umpires giving the feedback to club.

Stringer can't even get on the park.

I wouldnt worry about worpel doing a lot of things right in pre season. Seems to be finding his balance in kicking the ball especially into the forward line.

Special little get together at the drinks break at training. The boys went into a huddle around o sullivan. It was his turn to share his football story. It must have been funny as the boys broke into laughter a couple of times. They waited till he finished before going back to the drills.

Highlight of todays training was cooper stephens running inside 50 and Dgb ran to tackle him. Cooper just ran straight over him poor DGB was road kill.

Great stuff on Stephens I think he may slot in the 22, dependant on pre season games.

Question with the training drills
  • Finn, in the middle or on the wing?
  • C-Mac midfield group or mainly HFF ?

Great stuff on Stephens I think he may slot in the 22, dependant on pre season games.

Question with the training drills
  • Finn, in the middle or on the wing?
  • C-Mac midfield group or mainly HFF ?
Finn cmac and other draft picks were part of the midfield group mcdonald and o sullivan in with the forwards

I realise you've probably got your tongue firmly in your cheek when you say that but I wish people would stop pining for Harley Reid.

Wins on the board in 2023 will do immeasurably more for the development of our young team than the future addition of any one player - no matter how good that player might turn out to be.

In other words, the downside of finishing last on the ladder, in terms of the negative impact that'll have on the confidence of our youngsters, would be a lot worse than any compensatory future upside in recruiting Reid.

I'm confident we won't go backwards compared to 2022.
Not to mention having the wooden spoon on your record.I was born in 1978 so I haven't had to live through a wooden spoon and I hope that doesn't change. Stuff the number 1 draft pick

Tsatas coming fourth last in the time trial was interesting.

Hope Mackenzie pushes hard to keep pace with Ward, CJ, Moore and Finn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's see if he breaks into the side first.
I think we’ll find he's a starting midfielder. It's Jai, Worpel, Stephens starting and Finn on the bench.

The rest (Ward, CMac, Mackenzie, Husthwait) need to catch them, and go past them if they're getting games as midfielders.

Both Ward & CMac can (and will) get games playing wing and HF - they're in the best 22.

Nash and Morrison have their work cut out for them - they’ll end up depth players next year. Mackenzie, Husthwait, Weddel will be given games and will go past them by the end of next year.

Sam is ruthless, Tom and Jom weren't given games in the midfield, not because they wern’t good enough - they were not the future. Nash and Morrison find themselves in their shoes next year.

I think we’ll find he's a starting midfielder. It's Jai, Worpel, Stephens starting and Finn on the bench.

The rest (Ward, CMac, Mackenzie, Husthwait) need to catch them, and go past them if they're getting games as midfielders.

Both Ward & CMac can (and will) get games playing wing and HF - they're in the best 22.

Nash and Morrison have their work cut out for them - they’ll end up depth players next year. Mackenzie, Husthwait, Weddel will be given games and will go past them by the end of next year.

Sam is ruthless, Tom and Jom weren't given games in the midfield, not because they wern’t good enough - they were not the future. Nash and Morrison find themselves in their shoes next year.
Midfield Nash is a Mitchell creation. Can play fwd too. Single position players will be the ones bypassed, unless they are top shelf and key

I don't see Morrison or Nash as being easily replaced. Morrison has a great tank which enables him to patrol a lot of outside territory between half back and half forward. He also plays with a lot of poise, has neat skills and makes good decisions. Nash is still on a learning curve but gets better each year and his size, athleticism and versatility make him a weapon.

I like that we beat Geelong but we are sounding a bit like those Tiges supporters during our threepeat and I feel a little …

Trigger GIF by MOODMAN

Beating us did not derogate from their loserdom

Last edited:
I like that we beat Geelong but we are sounding a bit like those Tiges supporters during our threepeat and I feel a little …

Trigger GIF by MOODMAN

Beating us did not derogate from their loserdom
What did derogate from their loserdom is that they won 3 of the next 5 flags after we finally fell off. Their ability to compete against the better clubs and beat us consistently was indicative of something good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back